Feeding the ever thirsty PIC beasts

Discussion in 'Low Power Rocketry (LPR)' started by Playdo, Aug 27, 2002.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Aug 27, 2002 #1

Playdo

Playdo

Playdo

Yes. Indeed I am feeding the thirst for pics. They might not be the greatest pictures, and they might not be the greatest rockets, but its like eating grilled cheese and instant potatoes - you like it enough to eat it, but would prefer Alaskan king crab legs and sirloin steaks.

This will be my first time posting pics here, so please forgive if I do it wrong.

These are of my ARV Condor I have recently completed. I am hoping to launch it after work today. I love the way the paintjob came out... Black and silver.... no decals.... I think it looks pretty good. Check it out.

2. Aug 27, 2002 #2

Playdo

Playdo

Playdo

The top view of a glider

3. Aug 27, 2002 #3

Playdo

Playdo

Playdo

A side view of the glider

4. Aug 27, 2002 #4

Playdo

Playdo

Playdo

and the rocket

5. Aug 27, 2002 #5

KermieD

KermieD

KermieD

I think you have the digital picture thing down just fine! GREAT paint scheme and I love the looks of the dihedral swept forward like that instead of back like the stock build. Let us know how she flies!

6. Aug 27, 2002 #6

Playdo

Playdo

Playdo

Well, hopefully tomorrow we will find out about the foward dihedral. To be honest, it started as a mistake. I misinterpreted the directions and didnt bother to check them. I have tested the gliders a little for balance, and it seems pretty iffy..... I hope it will still work!

Gotta admit though, it does look a lot meaner this way!

thanks for the props, and I will update after launch...... cross your fingers for me!

7. Aug 27, 2002 #7

eugenefl

eugenefl

eugenefl

Great paint scheme! It gives the kit a much stealthier and futuristic military fighter style.

You'll probably be the first to have swept the fins forward. I'm also curious to see how it goes. Best of luck.

8. Aug 27, 2002 #8

Mike

Mike

Mike

Your paint scheme is excellent. Good luck with the flight. What motor is she flying on?

9. Aug 28, 2002 #9

Playdo

Playdo

Playdo

Well, I didnt get to fly her today...... I had to go in to work early, and didnt get out till after dark....

More probably tomorrow before work! I dont have to go in early, and it should be nice out. I think a B6-4 is what I'll be launching it with.

Thanks everyone for the compliments! It is very much appreciated!

I will update tomorrow when I launch!!!

10. Aug 29, 2002 #10

Playdo

Playdo

Playdo

What a horrible launch day....

yep... bad

The conditions: overcast, winds 2-7mph
    The field: small soccer field with woods surrounding it.... not good.

Well, I figured I could have a decent launch here at this field... couldn't be any more wrong. I setup to fly my Spitfire, Tomcat, HelioCopter, ARV Condor, and CC Express.
    The spitfire flew great, but the wind really threw it far in the trees, unlocated.
    The Tomcat had a not-so-good flight. Flew with a corkscrew, ejected fine, but the nose cone came off, and halfway in the decent, so did a wing. The body was located in a clearing, but the nose cone and wing are gone.
    The Heliocopter launched nice and high, with perfect ejection. It came down to about 2-300 ft and a gust of wind really took it into the woods, as well. Also unlocated.
    The ARV Condor (the black and silver with reverse dihedral sweep) was probably the most successful, and that is still not good. It launched well, not too high, not too low. It came apart and ejected well, but the streamer didnt unravel for the body. The gliders, sad to say, performed VERY poorly. I wouldnt even call them gliders, I would say they were more like scrap wood and balsa resisting the air. they came down at a decent speed, just not gliding. Spinning, flipping, you name it. But, all was recovered for that rocket!
    The final launch of the day was the CC Express, on a big D12. Awesome flight! straight up and very high! Lost sight of it in the clouds! I installed a cup device to hold carpenter's chalk, and good thing. When it ejected, I regained sight of it due to the big red cloud. It seemed to come down to the field, but then drifted into the rocket gobbling woods. Unlocated.

So lets recap..... lost, damaged, lost, recovered, lost. I would say a BAD day.
    Also, the engines flown were B6-4 (Spitfire, Condor) C6-4 (HelioCopter, Tomcat) and D12-5 (CC Express).

I really wanted to get the CC Express in the air for a 2 stage launch, but will have ot go back to that field after some wind and try to find it and the others..... until then.... my fleet is DEPLETED!!

:(

11. Aug 29, 2002 #11

Fishhead

Fishhead

Fishhead

I'm feelin' for ya, man. I had a day like this earlier in the spring on a day that I KNEW better than to fly in under normal conditions. It was windy, VERY WINDY, but I had rocket fever and was determined to toss a few up no matter the cost. In the end the cost was high. Worst was my Centuri Mach 10 clone. It wound up on the roof of my kid's school on what was easily it's most impressive flight ever. I also lost my vintage purple and white Estes Wizard and Estes Mini Shuttle and my .75 scale U.S.S. Atlantis clone was killed beyond repair. My son and his friends still talk about BLACK SUNDAY.

I also had a day like that last year. I lost my Quest Intruder, Custom Tristar and a scratch rocket that I truly had grown to love. It was also the day when my original A.R.V. Condor flew it's final flight. In my opinion, that streamer for the booster isn't close to being enough to slow the unit down on recovery. Consider throwing in a small chute instead. I had the same problem with my Estes Manta a few years back. After several hard recoveries due to the kit having a streamer rather than a parachute, the booster finally gave up the ghost and bent in half at the fin unit. A small chute would have avoided this.

12. Aug 29, 2002 #12

eugenefl

eugenefl

eugenefl

Playdo, that is terrible news. The worst part about this hobby is the fact that once it leaves the pad it is totally in the hands of mother nature. I understand your need to launch despite poor conditions. It is almost like gobbling up cookie dough knowing the stomach ache will follow. For me, it usually takes the loss of one rocket before I pack it up. I have disappointed far too many spectators in the past just because I have deemed it unsafe or unreasonable to launch.

Don't give up! If you feel the cost of buying new kits is too much to bear, try your hand at scratchbuilding. <pats on the back> It'll be alright buddy. There will be better days.

13. Aug 29, 2002 #13

EMRR

EMRR

EMRR

Maybe I'm a bit off, but I don't mind (periodically) losing or having rockets damaged beyond repair. Now, don't get me wrong, I like to have a few flights on them first.

I see it this way: It keeps my rocket count under control. Sometimes I look at some rockets that I have not flown in more than a year and wonder, then what is the point. I could stop building but that to me is part of the fun.

So, yes, terrible day in one sense. Yes, hits the wallet (or pocket book, your preference). No, not a total loss as now you can justify the purchase and building of other rockets.

Happy flying . . . well at least on the one you got back!

Nick