February: 3D Print Contest

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
I am thinking of our next print contest. Anybody interested in an AV sled contest? Anything to do with an AV sled.

I am interested in your ideas or comments. If you like the idea, like the thread. If you have another idea, post it. The idea with the most likes gets the call.

We could include both nose cone and standard avbays and even tracker bays.

Certainly, I have 3 designs.... also, what was the verdict on the last contest winners. Did others end up choosing?

Yeah, I'd like to see some AV bay sleds that featured mounting surfaces for screw switches on a bridge somewhere near the center of the sled (unlike the blue and orange sleds where it's at the top/bottom) so that they were accessible through the vent holes on 3 and 4 fin rockets when the sled is centered in the av bay.

Also, dual device sleds for those of us who do redundant dual deploy. Side-by-side or front/back. With the MW RTX, it'll link to an RRC3 and datalink the events to the ground station.

I like the idea of including a battery box, too.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy...ack-walkera-v120d02s-qr-infra-x-qr-w100s.html

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-nano-tech-300mah-2s-35-70c-lipo-pack.html

While we're at it, how about we standardize sled rod spacing, too? Seems like everyone has a different measurement between rods, which is a pain in the butt when trying to standardize a set up.

Last edited:
Hey Chuck,

If it becomes an altimeter sled contest, please enter the one I showed you at the ICBM flight several months ago. In response to Banzai 88, it meets all your listed criteria.

Thanks,
Fred, L2
ICBM, S.C.
KG4YGP

Ok. I will take photos.

Please respond here if you are interested in entering. I think we have three entrants so far.

Ok. I will take photos.

Please respond here if you are interested in entering. I think we have three entrants so far.

This is a great idea and I need to design a donut avbay for my 4" V2 so that I can put an oversized 38mm in it. I've had it in the build pile for a while. I don't know when I'll be able to do this though. What is the timeline and rules (is it just one reply post with details?

thanks.
don.

Chuck,

When are the photos due and are there restrictions or requirements on the 3D sled designs submitted?

Thanks,
Fred

This thread has gotten me motivated. Not sure if it's on-point and within the contest rules, but I'll post anyway. This is going to be a multi-part avbay for my 4" Madcow V2 that has been in the build pile for far too long. I want to stick as big of a 54mm motor as will fit, so this will need a donut avbay. It needs to fit 2 altimeters and my featherweight tracker and batteries for each. Lots to squeeze into a small space. The thing to take care of is the avbay itself. It needs to be 100% sealed, so will consist of two bulkheads, an outer shell and an inner shell. The bulkheads and outer shell will be made out of PLA. Because the inner shell will be right against the motor tube, I want this to be a little bit more substantial. It will be made from 2 layers of 6oz fiberglass (made using the motor tube as a mandrel). Here is the core for both top and bottom bulkheads:

Capture.JPG

the top and bottom bulkheads have an inner and outer rim that the inner and outer shells will slide into snuggly. To secure all of these parts together, I will be using three #2 threaded rod with hollow carbon fiber supports. This should be plenty strong since it will also be supported by the motor tube and the rocket airframe itself. This set-up also divides the avbay into 3 sections, one for each of the altimeters and one for the tracker.

The top bulkhead needs to be modified further with through holes for the altimeter wires as well as holes for the ejection canisters. Good thing this contest runs through february, it will take me that long to get all of the other components designed and test fitted.

This is a great idea and I need to design a donut avbay for my 4" V2 so that I can put an oversized 38mm in it. I've had it in the build pile for a while. I don't know when I'll be able to do this though. What is the timeline and rules (is it just one reply post with details?

thanks.
don.
I have a build thread for a dual deploy Loc 4" V2 with donut bay and 38mm mmt. Rocket is currently in primer, some definite 3d printed parts that would be great is a sledd for two alts and batteries. Sealing the upper bay from the lower is critical.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/richs-4-loc-v2-build.147249/page-2

Rules have not been set yet. I may move this to March or April - Any thoughts?

Rules have not been set yet. I may move this to March or April - Any thoughts?

I am planning to be done by Feburary, but it makes a lot of sense to push this out a bit. it is the winter after all (at least for some of us), and having more indoor time to dedicate to this would hopefully mean more people participating. just my 2 cents.

Mine is done, including version 2 of the sled. Only issue today is that our Jan. launch might be scrubbed due to weather.. Winds, Snow and -a billion°C...

No issues with pushing it out a few months..

Chuck, mine is also done (you have seen one variation at an ICBM launch). The basic one is for a 75 mm AV-Bay and with printed extenders also nicely fits a 98 mm bay. I'm actually more interested in seeing the various sled styles of others to appreciate & learn from rather than the competition. At the appropriate time, would uploading photos suffice for the entry?

Thanks,
Fred

Chuck,

We might want to rethink the thread naming convention for the contests.. so that each contest wont be lost to the collective "3D printing contest" title.. (I was about to start my entry post, when I realised, they will all start with "3D Print contest - [name]", regardless of the contest they're running. might be confusing 3 or 4 contests in..)

What about also having a sub-forum either here or in the newly created 3D forum to post the current contest entries? Then post the contest her with links to the sub forum?

Back