Featherweight Tracker Update - Build 127

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are my LDRS flights from my featherweight tracker. This is awesome! Also got all my flights I have had with this tracker loaded in to google earth. Oldest was Nov 2018.

IMG_3309.JPG

No. My flight that I posted above was from a few weeks ago before the recent update.

My understanding was that you’d have all of your previous flights data that was on the phone in 1hz recordings and then subsequent (post build 127) flights would be stored on the tracker itself (in addition to the phone 1hz data) for download under the devices tab when connected via Bluetooth and would be the 10hz data. You’re saying you could connect to the device via Bluetooth and download 10hz data from the tracker via Devices page from previous flights recorded with older firmware? I didn’t try that so I’m curious.

Also, Kevin, does the tracker just store one flight and require download after each flight or can you bulk download multiple flights at days end?

My understanding was that you’d have all of your previous flights data that was on the phone in 1hz recordings and then subsequent (post build 127) flights would be stored on the tracker itself (in addition to the phone 1hz data) for download under the devices tab when connected via Bluetooth and would be the 10hz data. You’re saying you could connect to the device via Bluetooth and download 10hz data from the tracker via Devices page from previous flights recorded with older firmware? I didn’t try that so I’m curious.

Also, Kevin, does the tracker just store one flight and require download after each flight or can you bulk download multiple flights at days end?

No. I’m saying I was able to send the data via email to my computer after the new release. I used the More tab, the the Share tab, then selected the most recent iFip file & emailed it to myself. From there I imported it into excel. Could not do this before release 127.

No. I’m saying I was able to send the data via email to my computer after the new release. I used the More tab, the the Share tab, then selected the most recent iFip file & emailed it to myself. From there I imported it into excel. Could not do this before release 127.

Ahh. Okay. Yes, that is what I did as well.

I’m under the impression we will still be able to do that but now we can additionally download the 10hz data via the devices tab over Bluetooth to share as well.

Curious on the trackers memory and handling of that data, deleting, etc.

The tracker only stores one flight at 10Hz. If you fly it again, it overwrites that flight. Also note that if we do a firmware update, the update uses the same memory space (copy down new firmware, verify it, then copy it in to 'base location' and reboot).

Adrian once asked me to always download flight data automatically when bluetooth is re-established. I thought that silly when the user could just click download - but now I am understanding "download new data so I don't forget...".

The phone records packets received for the day so will have multiple flights in it - but only at 1Hz vs the 10hz from the tracker itself.

Note also that if you do a forced full uninstall of the app, then the data you haven't shared to yourself via email is gone.

I do not see the download button, but also don't have any flights post Build 127 update. Does it need to be flights made after the update? Thank you.

For the 10Hz data download - then yes it needs to be a flight made after the update. For prior 'blue tooth recordings', you should see data for any date that your phone got bluetooth packets. When you share, it only shares the packets related to trackers though (not the GS packets). So if I go to a day when I only turned on my GS and my phone was paired to it, there will be packets, but nothing to export. so that would create an empty file...

but it sounds like you are looking at days when you know you flew - in which case you should have saved tracker packets. I'm going to be working on an update and will try to include a summary of what is actually recorded for the day. I'll also be working on 'flight detection' to tell you which days also contain flights (and try to filter the exported data). This latter stuff will take a bit longer as I have to detect and reject any bad GPS packets.

I was able to plot one of my BALLS flights with the 1Hz data. I did have to clean up the data quite a bit, did not know about the remove duplicate data function in Excel. Wrote a couple of simple formulas to identify bad packets to make it a bit easier. Was very cool to see a flight plotted in 3D when I was done. Took me a moment to figure out I needed to change the default altitude popup to Absolute from clamped to ground. (Although that plot was still interesting.)

Thanks all for sharing how you got it all to work.

Tony

For the 10Hz data download - then yes it needs to be a flight made after the update. For prior 'blue tooth recordings', you should see data for any date that your phone got bluetooth packets. When you share, it only shares the packets related to trackers though (not the GS packets). So if I go to a day when I only turned on my GS and my phone was paired to it, there will be packets, but nothing to export. so that would create an empty file...

but it sounds like you are looking at days when you know you flew - in which case you should have saved tracker packets. I'm going to be working on an update and will try to include a summary of what is actually recorded for the day. I'll also be working on 'flight detection' to tell you which days also contain flights (and try to filter the exported data). This latter stuff will take a bit longer as I have to detect and reject any bad GPS packets.

Kevin,
Correct, I do have all the saved tracker packets, and can share them, and with a little cleaning up I get nice 2D and 3D plots. I really love having that capability and the 10Hz data should be even better. I was just wanting to clarify that the 'download' of the 10Hz needed to be on a flight after the update. One last question: how do I delete the shared files from my phone once I have shared them? I see the delete button but they don't delete. Thanks very much for your effort, we really appreciate it.

Kevin,
... how do I delete the shared files from my phone once I have shared them? I see the delete button but they don't delete. Thanks very much for your effort, we really appreciate it.

That finished feature didn't make it to build 127... It will be in the next build (it is implemented in my code now).

Also, if anyone wants to try out the new 10 Hz download feature before the next time you fly your rocket, you can do it with the flight simulation feature. In the devices list, select your tracker and then "Run Sim" and fill in the dialog box with the flight characteristics you want. From there it will act like a real flight including tracking, spoken telemetry etc. Any positive flight angle will send the rocket toward the North. After the flight you can download the data and share it.

Can those who created KML files please share them to this thread (or PM them to me or email to [email protected])? I want to look at the variety of files so I can think about how to export them myself as one KML for "your day" and label them appropriately... and I believe there might be a way I can color code the thrust vs coast vs apogee vs drogue vs main separately - and I will shamelessly state that I have seen another tracker data colored in such a way (kudos to Bdale and Keith).

As an aside.. we are working on the ability for you to easily monitor other Featherweight Track'd launches with your GS/Phone (without having to ask them what channel they are on)... This could allow you to "listen in on their flight" (with voice if you want although that might be messy if everyone is at the LCO table with 5 different voices) - ... and then have an estimate of where you would land based on previous recent flights that day (based on altitude / descent rate / winds).... obviously if you pop your main at apogee (done that!) or end up "coming in hot" (cough...) then the estimate will not be as accurate...

KML files apparently cannot be uploaded to forum. I will see if that can be changed. I emailed you mine.

for build 127 I looked for the yet-to-be-activated delete button, but I don't see it on mine.
br/
Tony
If you are talking about deleting found rockets, items to share, or devices, I've been able to delete all of them with a swipe to the left.

Tony H

Google earth files can now be uploaded. here are 3 from flights prior to build 127 release.

Attachments

• 20191114053041-60230-map.kmz
    2.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 20191114053232-60230-map.kmz
    4.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 20191114050538-60230-map.kmz
    1.5 KB · Views: 20
Here are a few to play with.

Attachments

• 2018-11-17-Log - Ace-J AT I211W.kmz
    1.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 2018-11-17-Log - Kritter AT H130W.kmz
    1.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 2019-07-13-Log - Fat Man AT J340M.kmz
    1.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 2019-08-10-Log - Kritter AT I154J.kmz
    1.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 2019-08-30-Log - Fat Man AT J.kmz
    1.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 2019-08-31-Log - Kritter AT J350W.kmz
    2.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 2019-08-31-Log - Kritter AT J570W.kmz
    2.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 2019-09-01-Log - Kritter AT J420R.kmz
    2.2 KB · Views: 23
Kevin- does it matter if they are .kmz vs .kml? I don’t know the difference really. That output from the link I provided gives you the option of .kml (uncompressed) vs .kmz (zipped). They both appear to import into google earth the same.

Kevin- does it matter if they are .kmz vs .kml? I don’t know the difference really. That output from the link I provided gives you the option of .kml (uncompressed) vs .kmz (zipped). They both appear to import into google earth the same.

KML is easier to read (xml/text) else I need to use google earth and convert it to KML (which I will do) so no worries. It's been cool to see all these past flights suddenly in google earth!

for build 127 I looked for the yet-to-be-activated delete button, but I don't see it on mine.
br/
Tony

I'll be working on the software some this weekend and before our launch next weekend. I have the 'delete phone log data' implemented in my current code so it *will* be in the next release (this week).

Here are a few to play with.

Nice! I have a J570 to fly next weekend as well as an I211...! I like your flight naming convention: Date/Rocket/Motor! I'll work toward getting it so you can input that info before the flight and have the files already exported with those names. I might need to add HMS (hour/min/sec) on the end - or just hour/min) so if you fly the same rocket with the same motor twice that day (?) then it will keep it separate...

I like your flight naming convention: Date/Rocket/Motor! I'll work toward getting it so you can input that info before the flight and have the files already exported with those names.
Just keeping it simple! And that would be nice. It took some time but wasn't that difficult to go though all of them and figure out which flight path was which. Glad there were so many saved.

If you bought new units and are pairing them for the first time, you will start FIP and follow the prompts. When you select a device in the scan window, it will tell you it needs a firmware update and then update the firmware. When the update completes, you may need to click on it again in the Scan window (I forget now).

I did this with my brand new stuff last night. Just found this thread today. :rolleyes: I found after updating the firmware it showed the devices in scan but wouldn't complete the pairing. After a power cycle of each unit they worked fine. Might want to add prompts for that procedure.

I have been playing email tag with Apple support. I was kind of surprised they answered my request at all based on such a small install base and no revenue, but they do reply and ask for more information (every few days...). I think/hope this is resolvable as there should be no reason it shouldn't work (I have a iPhone 5 and 5c myself) but if you wanted to fly soon, I don't have an alternative for you. Sorry about that. I can say with Microsoft Windows, things pretty much work until you EOL the system (at least if you do normal stuff). To that extent, I have been 'intrigued' by the number of non backwards compatible upgrades to my apple ecosystem...

Any luck on this yet, or will I have to buy a more current IPhone?
Buy the new iPad for $250. Bigger screen and it works with the program. Or use an old one. My wife's iPad Air 2 works. I would still like to use her old 5C in the field though, easier to hold with one hand and put in your pocket.

Last edited:
Apple is not shy about breaking stuff with updates. Catalina (the latest MacOS) is a full 64-bit OS and breaks all older 32-bit apps. I do lots of video work and there are dozens of old 32-bit video codecs that will no longer work in Catalina. Apple has been warning developers for years about the move, but it's still going to cause a lot of pain for folks. In many ways the MacOS is far more complex than anything else in the consumer space. For example, take a look at how disks are now partitioned under Catalina:

https://eclecticlight.co/2019/10/08/macos-catalina-boot-volume-layout/

It's just crazy how complex it is - the OS is stored on a read-only boot volume to prevent it from being maliciously modified, along with the native Mac apps. Using a 'firmlink', read-only and mutable OS folders are shown as a single folder to the user. It's quite a challenge to figure out.

Even on the iPhone Apple has not been shy about leaving older apps in the dust. In the past, backups stored iPhone apps on the hard drive. Now Apple just stores the app data. When you restore your phone if you had an app that is no longer in the App Store (like Rocket Calc), then you are just SOL, unless you had saved the .ipa file from before. Time marches on.

On the other hand, Apple has a far more stable user base than Android. In October of 2019, more than 90% of iOS devices were on iOS 12 or 13 (41 and 50%, respectively). While on Android, 6 different versions all had at least a 10% share of the market.

Tony

Dwayne (and others). I've been busy with some other stuff but can say the next release supports the older model phones again via TestFlight. I have installed it from TestFlight on both an iPhone5 (almost too small of screen to be very useful) and iPhone5c. It will become the active build after this weekend before the other one expires. if anyone needs it this weekend to support an older device, then ping me and I can make it available. I am working on some other updates but will start a separate thread on that build as I have more data.

Back