Featherweight software

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dan - glad to hear your flight went well and the voice worked as expected. It is really cool to hear the apogee callout and the other data during the flight.

Although this info is posted in another thread, I'll repost it here. Attached is a writeup (PDF) on how to convert the data from the tracker to a Google Earth plot. It's not hard but does require some manual massaging of the data. If you're not familiar with Google Earth and KML files, there are a ton of tutorials on the web, it's really a pretty easy process once you've done it a couple of times.

Tony

0D0B874E-40FE-44C3-94C6-EAD9D9A8983F.jpeg

Attachments

• Convert Featherweight tracker data to KML files.pdf
    180.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Dan - glad to hear your flight went well and the voice worked as expected. It is really cool to hear the apogee callout and the other data during the flight.

Although this info is posted in another thread, I'll repost it here. Attached is a writeup (PDF) on how to convert the data from the tracker to a Google Earth plot. It's not hard but does require some manual massaging of the data. If you're not familiar with Google Earth and KML files, there are a ton of tutorials on the web, it's really a pretty easy process once you've done it a couple of times.

Tony

View attachment 486115
Thanks so much, Tony!

I am familiar with Google Earth.
I’ll study this and see if I can apply this to my saved Featherweight data files.

Thanks so much, Tony!

I am familiar with Google Earth.
I’ll study this and see if I can apply this to my saved Featherweight data files.
You're welcome. It is really a lot easier than it seems. My flights at BALLS this year all had good satellite lock and I didn't have to delete any bad lines. The slowest part is finding the launch and landing, and once you get used to the data, that gets pretty easy. The biggest thing is adding the "(ft)" after the Alt label - it's easy to miss. The first time you go through the process and see your flight path in Google Earth, it's very satisfying.

Good luck!

Tony

Last edited:
Submit the app to the App Store please.

Maybe since the app seems to be a side project it should be open sourced. If there are sensitive sections, those could be closed dependencies
The app can't be a side project, it is essential for integrating the trackers and ground stations. Without the app, the hardware become bricks...

Hence, it either needs to be in the app store or open source, per above. Couldn't agree more...

There's too much IP (Intellectual Property) in the application and the hardware/firmware for it to be open sourced so there is no plan for that. I will look into getting it released to the app store but have other updates to benefit the existing users first.

... I will look into getting it released to the app store but have other updates to benefit the existing users first.

Thank you for your work on this project. I just want to mention that as an existing user, I consider getting the app released to the app store as a pretty big benefit, and would really like to see it get moved up on the priority list.

As an aspiring customer, I consider getting the app released to be the only roadblock to purchasing a Featherweight system. The system is impressive and I have the money. I'll buy the minute there is proper software. That really should have been priority #1 at the time the first dollar was exchanged for hardware, much less several years later. What good are new fixes and features when the beta expires?

As an aspiring customer, I consider getting the app released to be the only roadblock to purchasing a Featherweight system. The system is impressive and I have the money. I'll buy the minute there is proper software. That really should have been priority #1 at the time the first dollar was exchanged for hardware, much less several years later. What good are new fixes and features when the beta expires?
Interesting the risk tolerance of different folks. I've purchased 4 trackers, starting when they were first introduced. Members of our club have probably every tracking system available and after seeing all of them in action (and as a former Big Red Bee user), I'm still more than happy to take a risk with the Featherweight software.

It's good though that you are aware of the situation before purchase and can hold off on buying until it meets your criteria. That's always a good way to approach buying any kind of technology - far better to buy what you know works for you now, rather than hope it does in the future. I certainly hope that iFIP becomes a normal iOS app, but in the meantime, the risk/reward ratio works for me. But I wholeheartedly agree it would be great if it was a non-issue.

Tony

I just want this vender to hang in there and keep our devices working, app or no app.

Adrian just completed another manufacturing run and has found someone to help with the programming and testing which should free up some of my time for more programming / enhancements (and I'll also work to get it into the app store). We fully intend to "hang in there" and "keep the devices working" as well as add further software features and improvements!

Last edited:
launched 2 rockets this last weekend, one to 3k for a test of me, new iphone, new rockets, new tracker
the other to 9982, phone led me straight to them, loved the voice telling me the altitude

As a Featherweight client, I am impressed with the hardware and software. Obvious any updates are greatly appreciated. But note, I bought into this product knowing the app issue. I just want this vender to hang in there and keep our devices working, app or no app.
I am impressed as well, BUT I bought into the product NOT understanding the app issue. I am not an Apple person and had no idea that the app as delivered would expire repetitively and was quite taken aback (AKA, pissed) when I realized that if the developer got hit by a truck or Covid, my hardware was bricked. That information should be disclosed on the website so people can make an informed decision. That is not cool. Period.

Anything that costs $350 as the entry point requires full support. Would you buy a different $350 electronics product without a warranty? You have if you have purchased a FW GPS. It's just not acceptable.

I paid $700 for my Walston and there is very little support
happy to pay $500 and take me right to my rocket with the ability to track any other featherweight easily, which NO other tracker can

ONLY a selling point IF others at your field have the same tracker set up. Folks at three of the four fields that I launch at use one or more of three other competing products.

I have walston, T3, eggfinder, several kickstarter (all turned out to be false claims ) and still bought the featherweight
for me it is about ease of use and leading me to my rocket
and I don't worry about money as others might

It is nice to see the product being improved and working towards having non-beta software. Thanks for working with customers like Dan and others to move this along. This does take significant effort and the amount of effort required is probably not appreciated by most of the customers.

I guess it just seems like common sense to not interfere with a program that is doing real-time communication and tracking of something that you really want to get back. If you have other things to do on your phone while your tracking your rocket, then maybe a bluetooth connected real-time tracker isn't a good solution for you.
And I still don't understand the reason of your posts, other than to try and denigrate either the product or developers. You've made your feelings well known - I guess I just don't see your point in continually driving it home while you add nothing else to the thread.
Tony
I am providing constructive feedback, not denigrating the product. What if a phone call comes in while tracking a rocket? It the software should be robust enough to be able to handle normal task switching without glitching. That is just common sense.

Also, I purchased the product with the aim of borrowing Apple hardware from my daughter till the Android app was developed. FWIW I have mentioned on several occasions that the website still shows android in the spiel (check the definition of that word) and "aFIP Android app is planned ". There was a comment in a thread somewhere from someone at Featherweight that there is no plan to support Android. There is a disconnect between what the product is purported to be (or will ever be) and reality. Do you understand the reason for my posts now?

I am impressed as well, BUT I bought into the product NOT understanding the app issue. I am not an Apple person and had no idea that the app as delivered would expire repetitively and was quite taken aback (AKA, pissed) when I realized that if the developer got hit by a truck or Covid, my hardware was bricked. That information should be disclosed on the website so people can make an informed decision. That is not cool. Period.

The Marketing people have obviously got to this product. Tell people the stuff that will make them buy it, but not necessarily the entire truth.

It is nice to see the product being improved and working towards having non-beta software. Thanks for working with customers like Dan and others to move this along. This does take significant effort and the amount of effort required is probably not appreciated by most of the customers.

I am providing constructive feedback, not denigrating the product. What if a phone call comes in while tracking a rocket? It the software should be robust enough to be able to handle normal task switching without glitching. That is just common sense.

Also, I purchased the product with the aim of borrowing Apple hardware from my daughter till the Android app was developed. FWIW I have mentioned on several occasions that the website still shows android in the spiel (check the definition of that word) and "aFIP Android app is planned ". There was a comment in a thread somewhere from someone at Featherweight that there is no plan to support Android. There is a disconnect between what the product is purported to be (or will ever be) and reality. Do you understand the reason for my posts now?

The Marketing people have obviously got to this product. Tell people the stuff that will make them buy it, but not necessarily the entire truth.

it does say to turn on do not disturb while using the tracker

You're welcome. It is really a lot easier than it seems. My flights at BALLS this year all had good satellite lock and I didn't have to delete any bad lines. The slowest part is finding the launch and landing, and once you get used to the data, that gets pretty easy. The biggest thing is adding the "(ft)" after the Alt label - it's easy to miss. The first time you go through the process and see your flight path in Google Earth, it's very satisfying.

Good luck!

Tony
I've mapped the Featherweight tracker data CSV file segment into my newly downloaded Google Earth Pro app.

Would you like to see my results?

Attachments

• Featherweight 2021-10-16 SDX3 Launch Data.csv
    4.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Big Sky Rocketry Association Launch Site.kmz
    1.8 KB · Views: 10

Attachments

• LDRS39 July 29 54mm CF Peregrine Featherweight GPS data + LDRS39 July 31 SDX3 Featherweight GP...kmz
    2.9 KB · Views: 4
  • LDRS39 August 01 SDX3 Featherweight GPS data.csv
    3.2 KB · Views: 2
  • LDRS39 July 29 54mm CF Peregrine Featherweight GPS data.csv
    1.2 KB · Views: 2
  • LDRS39 July 31 SDX3 Featherweight GPS data.csv
    3.8 KB · Views: 2
[for those that click on the kmz, I have to zoom out a little to see the traces...] I like the corkscrew on the green one under main! and that two went off maybe the same pad and the other was an away-ish pad!

1634689869952.png

[for those that click on the kmz, I have to zoom out a little to see the traces...] I like the corkscrew on the green one under main! and that two went off maybe the same pad and the other was an away-ish pad!

View attachment 486419
The green trace is from a picture-perfect LDRS-39 virgin launch of my new Mad Cow Super DX3 on a Loki J300-LR to 3500 feet AGL. It landed closer to the launch line than the announcers stand.

Attachments

• 3D8B82F4-36D4-4977-8E56-8E1195CF468B.jpeg
    3D8B82F4-36D4-4977-8E56-8E1195CF468B.jpeg
    41.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 039BDA4C-C186-4A90-988F-627BE4B618AA.jpeg
    039BDA4C-C186-4A90-988F-627BE4B618AA.jpeg
    44.5 KB · Views: 16
  • BBE3E515-978C-4518-ABF7-7886310CD5E9.jpeg
    BBE3E515-978C-4518-ABF7-7886310CD5E9.jpeg
    189.2 KB · Views: 14
so there are different iOS settings; I had to find the one for "listen to blue tooth in the background" and others. I'll eventually find the one for "play voice like it's pandora" and then we should be good...
I am glad it is you and not me working on that software. It must be a behemoth of a development ecosystem.

…<snipped>…The Marketing people have obviously got to this product. Tell people the stuff that will make them buy it, but not necessarily the entire truth.
As far as I know there are really only two people involved in the development of the trackers - Adrian and Kevin. The idea that there is a marketing department making up stuff just to sell more products is actually very insulting to both of them. It’s more likely they had a list of desired features, wrote up the web page, and then finished up what they could and shipped what they had. Could the page be more accurate? Absolutely. Are they trying to trick folks into buying a product by describing features that aren’t ready? In a hobby that is so small good news travels fast and bad news even faster? I think you’re trying to create drama where there isn’t any. It’s two guys making a product in their spare time for a tiny hobby.

Holy cow, I’ll buy your trackers just so you can move on to something else!

Tony.

Last edited:
Guys... so manixFan is a great supporter of the vendors who spend their spare time trying to add extra capabilities to the hobby. He supports every vendor - as do I. I have owned and flown BigRedBee and Telemetrum. I work for the same company as Keith and Greg did (or still do). I have met Bdale and his son at launches. Keith has sat in my car (it was cold) and laughed as I was in Windows (he is a linux guy) and the first thing I did was open a DOS window. This is our hobby and passion but not our income...

[I deleted the rest of my post as it was taking too long and I have work to do... :D ]

please chill out guys... come to my house and I'll cook for you while we talk rockets. it isn't that hard...

Back