Featherweight software

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I assume you are talking about the two rockets on the same channel. I can say the ground station and phone know which device they are paired with, but two trackers on the same frequency transmitting at the same time and the tracker on the ground is closer so is transmitting 'louder' (non technical term... :)) so they don't even hear from the one in the air. Goal is to make it easy to know you are on your own channel - or know who else is also on the channel so you can coordinate.
For the Multitronix system, an id is assigned to each transmitter (tracker) Vern sells. You then input the id into the receiver (ground station) and the two are locked together. Is something like that possible?

For the Multitronix system, an id is assigned to each transmitter (tracker) Vern sells. You then input the id into the receiver (ground station) and the two are locked together. Is something like that possible?

The Featherweight has a similar pairing that occurs between trackers and ground stations. If you pair your GS with your TRK, then they are in bi-directional communication and other GS/phones might receive the data (if they are on the same channel) but they will ignore them. The issue that comes up though is if multiple trackers are on the same frequency ("channel"), then they are trying to transmit at the same time at the same frequency and then your GS might only 'hear' the closer tracker (because of signal strength).

This is not unique to Featherweight as there is a reason some launches have "frequency boards" to try to coordinate who is on what frequency. With Featherweight though, there is some communications happening between ground stations as to what frequency they are on and that is one of my near term priorities is to give you basically a frequency board inside the app - where you can see what channels people are using and if there is a conflict. And possibly I could make it so you could walk over to the other person on your channel (by their tracker location) to talk to them about powering off during prep while you launch - or you change to an unused channel...

The Featherweight has a similar pairing that occurs between trackers and ground stations. If you pair your GS with your TRK, then they are in bi-directional communication and other GS/phones might receive the data (if they are on the same channel) but they will ignore them. The issue that comes up though is if multiple trackers are on the same frequency ("channel"), then they are trying to transmit at the same time at the same frequency and then your GS might only 'hear' the closer tracker (because of signal strength).

This is not unique to Featherweight as there is a reason some launches have "frequency boards" to try to coordinate who is on what frequency. With Featherweight though, there is some communications happening between ground stations as to what frequency they are on and that is one of my near term priorities is to give you basically a frequency board inside the app - where you can see what channels people are using and if there is a conflict. And possibly I could make it so you could walk over to the other person on your channel (by their tracker location) to talk to them about powering off during prep while you launch - or you change to an unused channel...

Thanks for the great explanation. Now I think I understand the problem better. Your solution sounds interesting. Looking forward to trying it out.

I assume you are talking about the two rockets on the same channel. I can say the ground station and phone know which device they are paired with, but two trackers on the same frequency transmitting at the same time and the tracker on the ground is closer so is transmitting 'louder' (non technical term... :)) so they don't even hear from the one in the air. Goal is to make it easy to know you are on your own channel - or know who else is also on the channel so you can coordinate.
Kevin, that would be very much appreciated. This problem happened to me at Balls, when I selected a channel it was vacant but unknown to me at the time somebody on the flight line later powered up their tracker on the same frequency after my 3" minimum diameter M powered rocket was on the rail. I was using a 3 element Yagi with the ground receiver and iPhone mounted on the antenna handle, as long as it was pointed directly at the rocket that is the tracker I was receiving. Once it was launched, I started intermittently picking up the other flight line receiver and at the time I couldn't figure out why I was only getting sporadic voice telemetry and the direction arrow/elevation bubble was jumping around. After the rocket hit apogee and was starting back down I figured out the problem was another transmitter which couldn't have been more than 150 yards away. The three element Yagi and receiver/iPhone combo I was using was put together for tracking Jerry O'Sullivan's and Mitch Guess's two stage project that was projected to go ~160Kft, good thing I was using it in this instance because of its forward gain and side rejection.......if I'd just been using the stock whip antenna I most likely would have not tracked my rocket at all. Anyway, it all ended up fine, I was able to track the rocket on decent as the angle between the flight line and the rocket opened up and it was recovered a few miles away. Tnx, Bill Schworer

Back