Featherweight Raven 4 connectivity issue in FIP

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikebpd221

Reaction score
I ran into a problem when trying to hook my new Raven 4 altimeter up to my computer to run their interface program. Error message showed connection, but no data transfer and suggested to power on the altimeter. The unit was operating under 9v power at the time and resetting the power (with a delay to allow the capacitor to discharge) had no effect. I've got a message off to their support email, but my order came with a note that he would be travelling for a while and not able to respond for a while. I've seen a couple of other threads citing the same issue so I was hoping someone would have the easy solution that I'm missing.

Attachments

• Error capture.JPG
    Error capture.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 24
Unplug the power, count to 20, connect your USB, power up and IMMEDIATELY click to connect.
If that doesn't work, try a different UBS port and different USB cables.
I have one cable that works great and another that has never worked.

My Raven 3's do the same thing and give the same error. I have to try different sequences of powering the Raven, plugging in the USB, and launching the FIP software, until it finally works.

couple things...

One; be sure you have a data cable and not just a power cable. I had one person go through four cables before they got one that worked...

Two; power up raven and start FIP, *then* plug in the USB. FIP should pop up a dialog as it detects the new USB. If you don't see this, then it is usually "One" above.

Buckeye - I would always plug in the USB last. FIP looks for new USB so if you have it powered and FIP started before you plug in the USB, then FIP should prompt when it sees the new COM port.

The device gets recognized by Windows and is located in the "Other Devices" tab in Windows Device Manager. It reads as "FX230X basic UART". I'm presuming that's a good sign on the cable being more than just a charging cord. I have not managed to find a way to get the FIP to see the altimeter despite a host of troubleshooting steps to see about getting Windows to recognize the device on the COM port instead with no luck. I've got a few more cables at work I'll bring home to try just in case that's the issue.

If you haven't restarted your computer since installing the Featherweight software, that might be your problem. Worked for me, anyway.

I was hoping for something simple like that but no luck yet. The developer is helping me out with the troubleshooting. I'll post the fix when we have it.

Kevin, I just sent you the update. The driver update solved the issue. For anyone else in a similar situation, the order of operations that worked here was to complete the driver install per the the link above, then restart the computer. Let Windows load completely and then open the FIP program. Also start the Raven and let it finish it's startup sequence. Then plug the USB into the computer (2.0 or 3.0 both work). The connect prompt window should pop up automatically. Select the Raven and everything should work from there. My device was running with two LED's connected to the main and apogee terminals and was in the vertical orientation when it was connected, but it should work regardless of connections or orientations. I also have nothing else connected using COM ports. I noticed my work machine had issues with FIP trying to communicate with non-altimeter components that were operating on other COM ports. This froze the program when they failed to connect. Thanks to the community for the help.

Resurrecting this thread as I've run into the same issue after a windows update. Sadly, whatever was done by Microsoft in their last round of "improvements" has disabled the usb to serial adapter and com port used by the Raven to communicate with the FIP. Rolling back drivers and attempting to reinstall earlier versions were unsuccessful in restoring function. The problem may have been made worse by windows' help options which suggested deleting the usb controllers and letting them get reinstalled on a subsequent restart. Now the serial adapter no longer appears as a system device at all. I'm open to input from the community on what I'm missing. The good news is the altimeter saved the last programmed function, so I can still use it for simple dual deploy. Not so much with a two- stage flight that needs some more adjustment to the go/no go criteria. Thanks in advance for the repeat tech support call.

Resurrecting this thread as I've run into the same issue after a windows update. Sadly, whatever was done by Microsoft in their last round of "improvements" has disabled the usb to serial adapter and com port used by the Raven to communicate with the FIP. Rolling back drivers and attempting to reinstall earlier versions were unsuccessful in restoring function. T The good news is the altimeter saved the last programmed function, so I can still use it for simple dual deploy. Not so much with a two- stage flight that needs some more adjustment to the go/no go criteria. Thanks in advance for the repeat tech support call.

Mike - Sorry for the issues you ran into - and what all effort you already put into it to try to resolve it.

Could you try downloading the latest VCP drivers (Virtual Com Port) from this page: https://ftdichip.com/drivers/vcp-drivers/

The direct link to the drivers is here: https://ftdichip.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/CDM212364_Setup.zip

The ZIP has a single EXE file in it. I would close any FIP running before doing the install although that may not matter. I would maybe also reboot after install and before trying to start FIP and connect a Raven.

Please let me/us know if that helps.

Thanks!

Kevin

Adrian got me sorted out. Simple cable substitution fix. I gave up on that being the issue too early after the first four. Note to self, keep that one in the launch box and not with the rest of the computer stuff in the house.

Adrian got me sorted out. Simple cable substitution fix. I gave up on that being the issue too early after the first four. Note to self, keep that one in the launch box and not with the rest of the computer stuff in the house.

Good to hear! And with all your driver stuff, I forgot to even question the USB cable. They really should label "power only" USB cables differently than data cables... I had one user that I ended up on the phone with. It was the fourth cable he tried before he had a data cable...

Good to hear! And with all your driver stuff, I forgot to even question the USB cable. They really should label "power only" USB cables differently than data cables... I had one user that I ended up on the phone with. It was the fourth cable he tried before he had a data cable...
So how can you tell the difference between data cable & power cable?

So how can you tell the difference between data cable & power cable?

Sadly the best answer I have right now is "the power cable doesn't work..."

I think I remember in the early days that the power cables had a lightning bolt or something on them instead of the three wire 'usb' symbol. That doesn't seem to apply anymore as they seem to mark them all with the USB symbol even if they are data only.

I would go on Amazon and search for "high speed data micro usb cable" and find something that looks 'unique' (so you can tell them apart) and buy a pack of 3 to 5 of them.... here is an example:

1639144161905.png

Besides "it doesn't work", the only other way I can think of knowing if it is power only or data would be to *MAYBE* (I haven't tried this) - cut the cable in two and count the wires... Obviously this is the last resort before throwing it in the garbage... :oops: ;) :D

It may also be possible that some cables get "iffy" over time and don't connect well anymore. I have so many cables lying around that if one frustrates me too much, I toss it in the garbage anyway.

Here's one that is a 1:3 splitter cable and the data line is labeled with the USB symbol whereas the two charging lines are blank.

1639144528968.png

Back