Featherweight GPS tracker

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are the differences between the 2 products? Which one is smaller? Can the ground station of one be used with the other? Which is easier to use?

Does anybody own both of them? Which one do you like best?
Featherweight is definitely smaller and definitely much cheaper. Ground stations can not be interchanged with other system. Kate is really for EXTREME flights. I own the FW and love it. Probably the only downside is it only works with Apple iphone. No Android version yet.

Featherweight is definitely smaller and definitely much cheaper. Ground stations can not be interchanged with other system. Kate is really for EXTREME flights. I own the FW and love it. Probably the only downside is it only works with Apple iphone. No Android version yet.
Yea
Bummer I am an Android guy - If only they would develop an Android version.

... and then there is the Altus Metrum line of products, some of which have GPS tracking with voice feedback. Their offerings are Android friendly. I have the FW GPS system (which is excellent) and am "getting into" the Altus Metrum system as well.

Altus TeleGPS

I’m waiting for an iPhone audio app to interface with my Eggfinder GPS modules and ground station. This would make a truly affordable alternative to the most excellent Multitronix Kate2.
How about it Cris Irving?
In deference to Adrian's excellent work, I'm not going to derail his thread...

My goto system is the TeleMega. I have a Featherweight tracker but only used it on one flight (worked great) since my daughter borrowed her iPad back. I don't have Apples of any flavour abounding around here.

I have the featherweight system and absolutely love it.
I love mine too. So much so that I have waited patiently for 2 1/2 years for the Android app. I purchased serial numbered unit #35 in June of 2018 along with a ground station. I then purchased a third unit. I use an iPhone 5C which apparently does not support the voice feedback capability of the software (at least I have not been able to figure it out). Regardless, my advice to prospective consumers is to base your evaluation and purchasing decisions on currently supported features and capabilities.

1607434885605.png

Last edited:
I love mine too. So much so that I have waited patiently for 2 1/2 years for the Android app. I purchased serial numbered unit #35 in June of 2018 along with a ground station. I then purchased a third unit. I use an iPhone 5C which apparently does not support the voice feedback capability of the software (at least I have not been able to figure it out). Regardless, my advice to prospective consumers is to base your evaluation and purchasing decisions on currently supported features and capabilities.

Dwayne - I see no reason the voice shouldn't work on the 5C. I'm at a launch this weekend and didn't bring my older devices with me but I think all should work. Biggest thing is don't have that little sound switch in silent mode. You should be able to go to the 'Settings' page and flip between the different voices and hear their test sample of "Featherweight Tracker is go for launch!" Let me know if it doesn't and I'll check when I get home with my other devices.

I got the Featherweight system.
The instructions do not give much advice on charging for me (being a LiPo novice):
1) Assume just plug in a low amp USB charger for the ground station and watch the charge led. ( I have USB adapters from 500mA to a Verizon 6 amp quick charger the reason I ask)
2) I bought their charger for the GPS tracker to charge its 400mA battery. How do I avoid over charging that one?

I got the Featherweight system.
The instructions do not give much advice on charging for me (being a LiPo novice):
1) Assume just plug in a low amp USB charger for the ground station and watch the charge led. ( I have USB adapters from 500mA to a Verizon 6 amp quick charger the reason I ask)
2) I bought their charger for the GPS tracker to charge its 400mA battery. How do I avoid over charging that one?

1. You can plug the a USB cable into charge the GS with any USB port. The internal charger will limit the current.
2. Set the adjustable charger to turn off all the switches except the 400 one. That will limit the current to 400 mAhrs, which will charge an empty tracker battery in a little over 1 hour.

Back