Featherweight GPS tracker

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With regard to frequency allocation at launches, what is the total possible number of distinct channels that are available for the Featherweight?

Thanks,
Wm.

With regard to frequency allocation at launches, what is the total possible number of distinct channels that are available for the Featherweight?

Thanks,
Wm.
It’s at least 28 channels, but I think it’s 56 channels. However, others will confirm or correct that. You can select CH1A or B, up to CH28A or B.

Last edited:
It’s at least 28 channels, but I think it’s 56 channels. However, others with confirm or correct that. You can select CH1A or B, up to CH28A or B.

The 28 channels is correct, with an A & B selection for each channel. Each channel has a preset frequency.

The A & B is what throws me. I have not tried it yet. But they are shown to have the same frequency.

So channel 12A is shown to have the same frequency as channel 12B.

We need Adrian (Featherweight) to explain this A & B channel. The manual doesn't have a clear explanation
of how A & B work.

The 28 channels is correct, with an A & B selection for each channel. Each channel has a preset frequency.

The A & B is what throws me. I have not tried it yet. But they are shown to have the same frequency.

We need Adrian (Featherweight) to explain this A & B channel. The manual doesn't have a clear explanation
of how A & B work.
It might be like the Eggfinders that use a channel ID / frequency combination to increase the number of available channels.

of how A & B work.
56 units can operate simultaneously without interfering with each other. The units using the A channels transmit in the first half of each second, and the B channel units transmit in the second half. The precise time information coming out of the GPS modules make this synchronization possible.

56 units can operate simultaneously without interfering with each other. The units using the A channels transmit in the first half of each second, and the B channel units transmit in the second half. The precise time information coming out of the GPS modules make this synchronization possible.

Adrian,

Thanks for the explanation on the A and B setup. I'll pencil that in to the manual's margins.

A batch of 100 trackers were assembled with the wrong type of SMA connector, which I have had to remove. So while the connector was off I thought I'd give people the option of a soldered wire whip antenna like I use for some of my rockets. The antenna is AWG22 copper wire with a clear coated insulation (magnet wire style)

A batch of 100 trackers were assembled with the wrong type of SMA connector, which I have had to remove. So while the connector was off I thought I'd give people the option of a soldered wire whip antenna like I use for some of my rockets. The antenna is AWG22 copper wire with a clear coated insulation (magnet wire style)
Benifts to running the wire vs the standard antenna?

That would be quite handy with the minimum diameter stiff I'm doing. Any issues with Ejection charges going off next to it?
probably only need to seal it with hot glue, otherwise the only thing that would get deposited on it would be soot, maybe the carbon would slightly reduce range but that would be negligible.

I recently purchased a Featherweight GPS tracker. I ended up purchasing an iPad 9th gen to work with the iOS app. I ended up finding using the iOS for tracking for worse than just taking the lat/long to Google Maps. But Google Maps isn't the ideal solution either. So I spent most of yesterday learning about all the iOS and Android mapping apps. Many seems like they should be perfect for the use case, including Google Maps. A lot of the time where we launch rockets is the middle of nowhere with little or no cell signal. Which is the rub, most need an internet connection for either satellite data or even to just do any form of search within the map.

In the end I found an Android app called "All-in-one Offlinemaps". It won't let me save Google map and satellite data, but it will let me save Microsoft map, satellite, and hybrid data. It also makes it fairly easy to type or copy paste lat/long into the app. I found I could use Google Lens to OCR the text out of the iOS app and then be able to copy paste into "All-in-one Offlinemaps".

My next plan is to write a basic application, probably in Golang that I recently learned. The goal is just to provide the lat/long. I am likely going to start with Linux and USB. Then follow that up with Android and Bluetooth. The first version for Android will probably just allow copy/paste, but I hope to later allow some integration with mapping apps.

@Adrian A Are you willing to share some technical data on how I might go about this via bluetooth? My plan is to open source my application by posting it to GitHub. I am also not looking to make any money off it. I would think it would be in your own self interest. Any form of Android app would be free work, and likely increase sales.

I recently purchased a Featherweight GPS tracker. I ended up purchasing an iPad 9th gen to work with the iOS app. I ended up finding using the iOS for tracking for worse than just taking the lat/long to Google Maps. But Google Maps isn't the ideal solution either. So I spent most of yesterday learning about all the iOS and Android mapping apps. Many seems like they should be perfect for the use case, including Google Maps. A lot of the time where we launch rockets is the middle of nowhere with little or no cell signal. Which is the rub, most need an internet connection for either satellite data or even to just do any form of search within the map.

In the end I found an Android app called "All-in-one Offlinemaps". It won't let me save Google map and satellite data, but it will let me save Microsoft map, satellite, and hybrid data. It also makes it fairly easy to type or copy paste lat/long into the app. I found I could use Google Lens to OCR the text out of the iOS app and then be able to copy paste into "All-in-one Offlinemaps".

My next plan is to write a basic application, probably in Golang that I recently learned. The goal is just to provide the lat/long. I am likely going to start with Linux and USB. Then follow that up with Android and Bluetooth. The first version for Android will probably just allow copy/paste, but I hope to later allow some integration with mapping apps.

@Adrian A Are you willing to share some technical data on how I might go about this via bluetooth? My plan is to open source my application by posting it to GitHub. I am also not looking to make any money off it. I would think it would be in your own self interest. Any form of Android app would be free work, and likely increase sales.

So you didnt like the Featherweight tracking app? Its basically a compass to your rocket. No map or no internet needed. Just follow the arrow and watch the distance and make the distance number get smaller. I personally prefer it over a map myself.

So you didnt like the Featherweight tracking app? Its basically a compass to your rocket. No map or no internet needed. Just follow the arrow and watch the distance and make the distance number get smaller. I personally prefer it over a map myself.
I would say given it goals and style, it is good enough. Will it get you within the margin of error that you generally see from Google Maps? Yes. Is that good enough to find a rocket? Very likely. On the other hand my experience is that if you don't understand the limitations caused by the margin of error it will lead you on a wild goose chase. It will lead you left, then right, then left, then straight, then back left. It will keep feeding you new data and you will circle the general area.

I also found the black circle that I was trying to keep the red/green circle in at the bottom very non-user friendly. In that it wasn't just the red/green circle moving, but the black circle too. Sometimes both would move off the edge of the screen. So it was more complicated that just following the arrow. I did try ignoring this, and going to what I was saying above the arrow would lead me astray and in circles.

Speaking of the iOS app. That it is only installable via TestFlight is very weird. I work in the tech industry. I have worked with TestFlight before. It is meant for internal use only not external use. I am surprised Apple hasn't shut the account or app down. I would love to hear what has prevented them from getting Apple to approve the app into the App Store. I get it makes it easier and faster to get code out to users, but that sounds like the need for a beta program not what I would call beta only.

The alternative that I found was just to take the given lat/long to a mapping app and it would have directly gotten me to within my own arm span of it. Which I think would be simpler, and better.

I purchased the iPad just to use my Featherweight. I did look into getting a iPhone off Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist. My concern with buying $100 phones off someone was "What are the odds they were stolen?". Another concern was if such a cheap phone was going to be supported by Apple for much longer. I know Apple is one of the best about support, but the cheapest phones were "iPhone 7"s. My primary phone is Android. I also have multiple old Android phones. I even own a Samsung Android tablet. Edit: I also wanted to get familiar with the system ASAP, because I have a launch on July 16th for my level one certification. I purchased the Featherweight, because my biggest concern is losing the rocket and then failing the certification.

Last edited:
I would say given it goals and style, it is good enough. Will it get you within the margin of error that you generally see from Google Maps? Yes. Is that good enough to find a rocket? Very likely. On the other hand my experience is that if you don't understand the limitations caused by the margin of error it will lead you on a wild goose chase. It will lead you left, then right, then left, then straight, then back left. It will keep feeding you new data and you will circle the general area.

Sounds like you're still new to how it works and using it. I know it took me a little getting used to to understand some of it. If your getting run around its because your not looking at the correct data. Ive personally flown this unit multiple times to 32,000 ft agl. And over 5 miles away. Over accumulated 500k ft in total flights not once has it ever lead me wrong or keep feeding new data. I also know the unit has been tested on flights as high as 150k plus altitude.

Keep on the track screen only. Get the pointer to turn green and at that point its either pointing at current location if it has a lock or last known good coordinates down to the right side of the screen from the pointer is a section of data. Is it back lit and dark numbers or grayed out numbers? If its back lit and dark numbers thats live locked data. Look at how those numbers look when you fly the rocket. Vs when it lands and it looses lock. That will tell you if your headed to last known or not. Now look at the numbers down there that show distance. How far away it is. If your pointer is pointing in the direction and is green start going that direction. The number for distance should get smaller. Once you get right up on it you should get a lock. The only thing you need to watch is distance and the arrow.

I also found the black circle that I was trying to keep the red/green circle in at the bottom very non-user friendly. In that it wasn't just the red/green circle moving, but the black circle too. Sometimes both would move off the edge of the screen. So it was more complicated that just following the arrow. I did try ignoring this, and going to what I was saying above the arrow would lead me astray and in circles.

The circle is for azimuth. This only works when rocket is in flight. It helps you get an angle on where its at in the sky up and down. Hold the device facing you now going up and down in a rotating motion from the ground to over your head line the dot into the circle and it turns green. Combine that with a green arrow now you have direction and height visually to get a possible sighting as it deploys depending on how far away. The dot isnt used to track it in the ground. Just the arrow and the distance. Yes. The arrow may change a little as you move. But as long as you are making the distance number smaller. Your headed the right way as well.

Speaking of the iOS app. That it is only installable via TestFlight is very weird. I work in the tech industry. I have worked with TestFlight before. It is meant for internal use only not external use. I am surprised Apple hasn't shut the account or app down. I would love to hear what has prevented them from getting Apple to approve the app into the App Store. I get it makes it easier and faster to get code out to users, but that sounds like the need for a beta program not what I would call beta only.
Its been a developmental thing. Eventually the entire tracking app is going to evolve with the New Blue Raven and other combined fearures. As long as it works and it has very well. Im fine with it.

The alternative that I found was just to take the given lat/long to a mapping app and it would have directly gotten me to within my own arm span of it. Which I think would be simpler, and better.
Maybe.... ive used mapped systems. Not any better to be honest. Lots more data in this system. Its not just a tracker. It provides lots more data.

I purchased the iPad just to use my Featherweight. I did look into getting a iPhone off Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist. My concern with buying $100 phones off someone was "What are the odds they were stolen?". Another concern was if such a cheap phone was going to be supported by Apple for much longer. I know Apple is one of the best about support, but the cheapest phones were "iPhone 7"s. My primary phone is Android. I also have multiple old Android phones. I even own a Samsung Android tablet. Edit: I also wanted to get familiar with the system ASAP, because I have a launch on July 16th for my level one certification. I purchased the Featherweight, because my biggest concern is losing the rocket and then failing the certification.

Again it sounds like you need to just get better acquainted with the system. All its functions. How to dial in your tracking what to look for. Listen to the spoken telemetry. It can tell you if it recovered correctly by how fast decent speed is. It actually can record altitude abd more.

There is lots of great info on it. Let me know if you have any questions. Ive flown it in lots of flights. Always great luck except one time. But user error i was able to resolve.

Also remember when using these apps to point you in the right direction that the GNSS receivers only know position. They work out your direction when you are moving. If you are moving very slowly then your direction vector (and thus the relative location of the rocket) is more affected by the error in the GNSS location. So, the slower you walk the more skittish the bearing to the rocket will be.

I've been using the Featherweight tracker since it was introduced. The tracking app is very accurate at leading you to the rocket once you are close enough to re-acquire the signal from the ground. You are new to the experience so I understand you have some hesitation, but I've recovered rockets in all kinds of terrain and conditions with zero issues using the Featherweight. The margin of error is the same as for any other GPS based app, so I don't understand how changing apps will help. And contrary to your experience, I find the UI to be very intuitive and easy to use, but I've never tried it on an iPad. That just seems too unwieldy to have out in the field.

I can't tell from your post if you know that you can copy the last GPS coordinates from the app and paste them into any mapping app you want, including one on an Android device. So you are free to easily use any app you'd like. And as you mentioned, you can just use something like Google Lens to or iOS text recognition to copy and paste the data.

And finally, you are grossly mistaken about TestFlight. From the Apple TestFlight website:

"External testers and groups: Invite up to 10,000 external testers using their email addresses or by enabling and sharing a public link, which creates an open invitation for anyone to test your app. ... Simply go to your app’s TestFlight page, click an existing group, and click Enable Public Link. You can then copy the link and share it on social media, messaging platforms, email campaigns, and more."

So it's not just for internal use nor is the developer violating any of Apple's guidelines. You might want to do your research before you allow your anti-iOS bias to cause you to step on some toes.

Good luck with your L1.

Tony

Last edited:
@Nathan Grennan
Congrats on your purchase! I was very hesitant when I first got my Featherweight GPS, not long after it came out. It is a big investment but by far is has been my best investment in rocketry. I have flown it 26 times and every time I have found my rocket without an issue. It is such peace of mind when you know the rocket takes off too fast to see (literally) yet you know exactly where it is and where it lands.

Like everything its not perfect and Adrian has improvements planned (like getting an official app). For tracking after launch, I mainly watch and listen to make sure apogee separation happened and that the rocket is down range (no heads up needed). Once the rocket has landed I just put the coordinates in Google maps and find the best way to drive/walk to it. I always download the offline google maps for that area. Every time this has lead me to within ~40ft of the rocket, which by the time I get a few hundred feet from it, the coordinates have updated and the new set will lead me within 10ft. I agree its not the best, so any improvement you can come up with or making app recommendations are welcome :)

I've been using the Featherweight tracker since it was introduced. The tracking app is very accurate at leading you to the rocket once you are close enough to re-acquire the signal from the ground. You are new to the experience so I understand you have some hesitation, but I've recovered rockets in all kinds of terrain and conditions with zero issues using the Featherweight. The margin of error is the same as for any other GPS based app, so I don't understand how changing apps will help. And contrary to your experience, I find the UI to be very intuitive and easy to use, but I've never tried it on an iPad. That just seems too unwieldy to have out in the field.

I can't tell from your post if you know that you can copy the last GPS coordinates from the app and paste them into any mapping app you want, including one on an Android device. So you are free to easily use any app you'd like. And as you mentioned, you can just use something like Google Lens to or iOS text recognition to copy and paste the data.

And finally, you are grossly mistaken about TestFlight. From the Apple TestFlight website:

"External testers and groups: Invite up to 10,000 external testers using their email addresses or by enabling and sharing a public link, which creates an open invitation for anyone to test your app. ... Simply go to your app’s TestFlight page, click an existing group, and click Enable Public Link. You can then copy the link and share it on social media, messaging platforms, email campaigns, and more."

So it's not just for internal use nor is the developer violating any of Apple's guidelines. You might want to do your research before you allow your anti-iOS bias to cause you to step on some toes.

Good luck with your L1.

Tony
I am well aware you can copy the lat/lang. I have done it, and it is part of my Linux and Android app plans .

How long has this the app existed in TestFlight? Months? Years? IMHO anything beyond a few months for an expensive hardware device that is dependent on the software is very weird.

I have a couple of Featherweights and they have been great; as people said, there is a little learning curve. @Nathan Grennan you may want to consider looking at an Eggfinder. I haven't used the Eggfinder but I have a bunch of Quantums, Wifi Switches, Quarks, etc. They are really inexpensive, the soldering is fairly straightforward, and I imagine you'll enjoy being a little closer to the hardware.

I am well aware you can copy the lat/lang. I have done it, and it is part of my Linux and Android app plans .

How long has this the app existed in TestFlight? Months? Years? IMHO anything beyond a few months for an expensive hardware device that is dependent on the software is very weird.
Really in the spectrum of things the Featherweight tracker is still an affordable not crazy high priced unit like some out there such as KATE for several grand. There has been some various changes. Development of the platform over its time in Testflight. But there has also been the desire for the new Altimeter platform that will actually talk with the tracker to come out and it has. Both are going to be integrated together and the android platfor for the tracker will be relased.

Personally.. not a big issue being in testflight for how ever long it has been. Not a big deal. It works and works well. Improvements and changes for the positive have been made over time. Now... if it didnt work, nothing was being done for further development. Then it would be an issue. I know Adrian is working on all of it but it takes time for it all to come together

It's been discussed previously.

<<snip>>

Nathan --

I can't add anything concrete to what Conway Stevens, manixfan, rocketace, OverTheTop, secretagent or others I might have missed have already said.

I think what Conway Stevens said is the most important concept to grok about the Featherweight GPS for finding your Rocket: Its basically a compass to your rocket. No map or no internet needed. Just follow the arrow and watch the distance and make the distance number get smaller ...

On another note ... I don't have a GPS yet ( I am a Walston Guy for now ) and I'll let Adrian answer for himself when he can ( he just got married on Sunday ) but in the meantime, have you seen the Featherweight GPS Command Summary Excel file and the notes in the Appendix of the GPS Version 2 Manual?

This is the Excel File: Featherweight GPS Command Summary - gs_data_cmds_2020nov15.xlsx ( EDIT: this is also in the Version 2 Manual )

There is a [Notes] Tab in the gs_data_cmds_2020nov15.xlsx file with a few hints for connecting to the GROUND STATION Hardware.

Once you're connected, the Ground Station appears to work like the Blue Raven where it connects in 'babel mode', dumping tagged, delimited text data rows continuously until you issue a valid command ( is that true ) ?

An aside: I was able to connect to my BlueRaven via minicomm on Linux and then I wrote a little C-Program for Proof of Concept to develop a Linux App for the Blue Raven. I can also 'see' and connect to the Blue Raven via Bluetooth on my SlackWare Linux Laptop but I never went further than a simple BT connect.

I abandoned work on Linux USB and BT comms when Adrian released the Download App for my Android Phone -- that is plenty good for me, especially now that it dumps text, not excel :)

I am a UNIX / Linux Developer and I am very interested in what you come up with ( :) I've even played with Go ( gcc-go ) just a bit :) ).

They keep me pretty busy at work but I would sure be interested in what you come up with and I might even be there to help from time to time ( if you want / need any help ).

Good luck with your Level 1 Flight this coming Sunday and please keep us up-to-date on your Flight and any progress on the Linux App Nathan !

-- kjh

p.s. thanks for the hint about All-in-one Offlinemaps on Google Play -- I'll check that out before my next launch.

Years. From Day 1. There are several threads on this. Many purchasers see the same pitfalls as you mentioned.

I think some of the issues arised from the fact that the software developer was learning to code in iOS while creating/maintaining the Featherweight GPS software. If I am not mistaken, it was his first major project in the iOS platform.

I ran into some of the same troubles as you, and I am a tech-savvy engineer. The FW was my 3rd model of rocket GPS that I purchased, not my first. Yet, some things were not intuitive (and not documented), like the elevation bubble. I learned about that here in the forum. Overall, the features of the FW are pretty clever, once you figure them out.

@Conway Stevens summed it up pretty well - the software is a dedicated compass for the FW GPS. I got one mainly for the data logging, but that can get wonky, too.

I don't think Adrian will give you access to the data other than the ground station capability mentioned by @kjhambrick.

The new Blue Raven integration will hopefully solve the past problems.

Look at Missileworks T3 and Eggfinder for GPS units that are Android-capable. Many, many threads on the forum.

Not sure what you mean by "margin of error." All consumer GPS units are good to about +/- 3m. Once you are that close, you should see your rocket.

Last edited:
Nathan --

I can't add anything concrete to what Conway Stevens, manixfan, rocketace, OverTheTop, secretagent or others I might have missed have already said.

I think what Conway Stevens said is the most important concept to grok about the Featherweight GPS for finding your Rocket: Its basically a compass to your rocket. No map or no internet needed. Just follow the arrow and watch the distance and make the distance number get smaller ...

On another note ... I don't have a GPS yet ( I am a Walston Guy for now ) and I'll let Adrian answer for himself when he can ( he just got married on Sunday ) but in the meantime, have you seen the Featherweight GPS Command Summary Excel file and the notes in the Appendix of the GPS Version 2 Manual?

This is the Excel File: Featherweight GPS Command Summary - gs_data_cmds_2020nov15.xlsx ( EDIT: this is also in the Version 2 Manual )

There is a [Notes] Tab in the gs_data_cmds_2020nov15.xlsx file with a few hints for connecting to the GROUND STATION Hardware.

Once you're connected, the Ground Station appears to work like the Blue Raven where it connects in 'babel mode', dumping tagged, delimited text data rows continuously until you issue a valid command ( is that true ) ?

An aside: I was able to connect to my BlueRaven via minicomm on Linux and then I wrote a little C-Program for Proof of Concept to develop a Linux App for the Blue Raven. I can also 'see' and connect to the Blue Raven via Bluetooth on my SlackWare Linux Laptop but I never went further than a simple BT connect.

I abandoned work on Linux USB and BT comms when Adrian released the
I abandoned work on Linux USB and BT comms when Adrian released the Download App for my Android Phone -- that is plenty good for me, especially now that it dumps text, not excel :)

I am a UNIX / Linux Developer and I am very interested in what you come up with ( :) I've even played with Go ( gcc-go ) just a bit :) ).

They keep me pretty busy at work but I would sure be interested in what you come up with and I might even be there to help from time to time ( if you want / need any help ).

Good luck with your Level 1 Flight this coming Sunday and please keep us up-to-date on your Flight and any progress on the Linux App Nathan !

-- kjh

p.s. thanks for the hint about All-in-one Offlinemaps on Google Play -- I'll check that out before my next launch.

for my Android Phone -- that is plenty good for me, especially now that it dumps text, not excel :)

-- kjh

Last night I with ChatGPT's help wrote a golang Linux command line tool that scrapes out the lat/long from the serial port. I also gave it two modes, regular and after landing. Regular, the default mode, just spams you with the lat/long continuously. After landing, a command line argument enabled mode, filters the output by looking at the first ten lat/longs, sorts them by number of occurrences of the same lat/long, and goes with the greatest occurrences. The idea being give me the high confidence lat/long when it stops changing significantly after landing. Then I have a clear lat/long to walk to. For now it is a command line argument, but I am thinking if this progresses to a Android app it would be a button to toggle after landing mode on and off at will. I also timestamped the output.

Regular mode:
[2023-07-10 23:02:35] Latitude: +45.34906, Longitude: -91.75782
[2023-07-10 23:02:36] Latitude: +45.34906, Longitude: -91.75782
[2023-07-10 23:02:37] Latitude: +45.34906, Longitude: -91.75782
[2023-07-10 23:02:38] Latitude: +45.34906, Longitude: -91.75782
After landing mode:
[2023-07-10 23:03:31] Latitude: +45.34906, Longitude: -91.75782

Side note, ChatGPT is painfully bad to use right now. I found multiple discussions on how it is regularly getting worse. The most likely explanation is they are optimizing it for performance to scale, but in the process it has gotten to the point of almost unusable.
Can you say more about the Download App?

You are welcome.

Back