Featherweight GPS Tracker Not Showing in iFIP

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBru

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I recently purchased a featherweight GS and Tracker and followed the steps to get it all set up with iFIP but for some reason only the GS is showing up on the GPS tab of iFIP and I can't seem to figure out why the Tracker is not showing as well.

The GS is connected via bluetooth and shows no problem, bounces between 15 and 20 satellites and the Tracker shows on the device list and lets me adjust the ID and Channel, both of which are the same as the GS, but nothing. I even tried using one device as ch A. and the other as ch B. on the same frequency but still nothing.

I will note that the Alert light on the GS blinks quite frequently, way more than once every 8 sec, as does the xmit light on the tracker.

If I go into Devices and switch the GS to be a tracker and the tracker to be the GS, everything runs the same. The GS, formerly the unresponsive tracker, is now showing up just fine as the GS and the former GS, now the tracker, is not showing at all. I can tell that they have actually swapped since the GS BattV switches between ~4.1 and ~3.5 when I go change the settings.

Any thoughts?

iOS: 14.0
Build: 148 @ 2020-08-19
Tracker SN: 932
- shows May 17, 2020 & Aug 30, 2020 on the device tab, not sure what the dates represent esp since I received the product on Sep 24.
GS SN: 959
- shows May 17, 2020 & Nov 6, 2019 on the device tab

Try changing one of the device IDs. The ID should not be the same for GS and Tracker. I use XXX-GS and XXX-TRK on mine. The channel should be the same for both GS and Tracker.

Turns out I was using the 2017 manual and not the updated 2020 which explains why I had the naming part wrong.

Unfortunately changing the names doesn’t do anything. Even when I switch them from ground to tracker. GS always gets a signal, tracker does not, no matter which physical device is set to each function.

I’ll also note that when I change them from one mode to the other, the identifier on the device page does not change and the gps tab always matches the name but not the device. I’ve turned on each unit by itself as the ground to make sure the phone was connecting to it and both units independently connect and show on iFIP when marked as the ground station.

Any thoughts?

iOS: 14.0
Build: 148 @ 2020-08-19

Could you use TestFlight to update to Build 158 dated 2020-09-22? I made a mistake when programming one batch (that had your 932 unit in it) and put in the firmware that we are going to but wasn't released yet. Build 158 will update them so they both match. For updating, I recommend:

1- power them both off
2- update your iPhone to build 158
3- turn on one unit and it should tell you an update is needed
4- after it is complete, turn on the other unit and it should update as well

Thanks! - email me at [email protected] if you have further problems.

Could you use TestFlight to update to Build 158 dated 2020-09-22? I made a mistake when programming one batch (that had your 932 unit in it) and put in the firmware that we are going to but wasn't released yet. Build 158 will update them so they both match. For updating, I recommend:

1- power them both off
2- update your iPhone to build 158
3- turn on one unit and it should tell you an update is needed
4- after it is complete, turn on the other unit and it should update as well

Thanks! - email me at [email protected] if you have further problems.
Thanks!! Once TestFlight is up and running (seems to be having an outage atm) I will do the update.

Back