Favorite Old Arcade Games?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I just found an old favorite of mine: XYBOTS, and I've seen R-Type out there too... Now if I could only find Space Harrier.

What's your old favorites?

https://archive.org/details/arcade_xybots

I'm not a big fan of the keyboard control layout, but I suspect that it was done that way for the two player game. Nice thing is it doesn't cost 25¢ to pay anymore.

2: Game Start

Player one (right side of the screen)

A: Fire
S: CCW Turn
Q: CW Turn

R: Forward
F: Back
G: Crab Right
D: Crab Left

Haven't figured out the Zapper yet I suspect it's W, E, or Tab.

No clue about Player 2's commands.

Last edited:
Spacewar was fun. got interesting when a couple of SF geeks were playing...turning torpedoes into mines, putting both ships into orbit, or lobbing torp.s in hyperbolic trajectories around the star. played missile command when it came out, but pinball was my fav and it just doesn't have the right feel on a computer, after '82 I got out of the arcade stuff.
Rex

I had a several of favorites:

Gauntlet - "Valyrie needs food... Badly!
Joust - armored knights jousting from the backs of flying ostriches - what's not to like?
Crazy Climber - loved the two joystick interface to climb the building and avoid dropped flowerpots!
Rampage - Godzilla, Kong and a giant werewolf climbing buildings and eating people - avoiding electrocution by toaster a plus!

Asteroids
Star Wars (original color vector game)

There were many others but those two stand head and shoulders above the rest. My mastery of the Star Wars machine at college was one of my great life achievements (only half joking). I was super-excited to see that a retro arcade that opened recently nearby has not one but *3* of them, but sadly I haven't had a chance to go try one out yet (it's a pay-by-the-hour place so I need to allocate a chunk of time).

Tempest was one of my favorites. Tried to buy one a few years ago.

Loved a lot of pin ball machines too.

Galaga, Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Popeye, Super Punch Out, Street Fighter.

There was another 2D martial arts game, similar to Street Fighter, that I wasted a lot of quarters on, but I can't remember the name of it. It had a progression of characters to work your way through, each with a different fighting style. Some were female, some male, some Chinese, some Japanese. The final one was a guy named Akira. If you beat him, you had to re-fight a few of the others; then the finale was re-fighting Akira underwater. Anybody remember that one?

Oh, and the one that incorporated animated cartoons into the gaming action, where you were a knight named Dirk trying to rescue a princess. It had Dragon in the title. What was that one?

That's it. If I had saved all the money I spent on arcade games, I might have been able to afford a girlfriend.

I played it until I beat it then never played it again.

My game was Defender. So many control buttons :)

Tempest is near the top..
Played a lot of 'Xenophobe' with two friends during college (and that would explain a lot!!)
Sega rally & Daytona got a lot of quarters from me..
Rampage & Gauntlet were also favorites, but I never found friends who shared the same 'desire' to play..

Montreal has a 'retro video game' bar now.. drink & play your favorite 80's video game!

Arcade games, as in going to a place at the mall and putting quarters into a big machine that only played one game? I miss those days.

My favorites were Street Fighter 2, Virtua Racing, Race Drivin', and one that was like Mechwarrior, but I can't remember what it was called.

In fact, back in tha day, I was really good at Street Fighter 2. In fact I once challenged a friend of mine to a game where I took off my shoes, sat on a stool and played with my feet to make it "fair". I still beat him! The reaction of people who had gathered to watch made it so much more epic. I probably couldn't have done it twice though as it was pretty close.

I still get to play real arcade games from time to time whenever I take my son to Chuck E Cheese. They have a couple there. Not like the more teenage-centered arcades of old though.

APB was my favorite video game, and High Speed my favorite pinball game, though with Space Shuttle and Pin-Bot right up there also. Other video games I liked were Marble Madness, Paperboy and Hard Drivin'/Race Drivin'.

Out here in the Bay Area there's an annual event called California Extreme, where hundreds of arcade game & pinball owners set up their machines in a convention center for a weekend of free-play (after the entry fee). Lots of fun, and I always find most of my favorites there, though I've never seen Hard Drivin'/Race Drivin' there, and this year APB was absent also. :( But still lots of other fun games to play, and boy do your fingers hurt after ~9 straight hours of video & pinball games. :)

Arcade games, as in going to a place at the mall and putting quarters into a big machine that only played one game? I miss those days.

My favorites were Street Fighter 2, Virtua Racing, Race Drivin', and one that was like Mechwarrior, but I can't remember what it was called.

In fact, back in tha day, I was really good at Street Fighter 2. In fact I once challenged a friend of mine to a game where I took off my shoes, sat on a stool and played with my feet to make it "fair". I still beat him! The reaction of people who had gathered to watch made it so much more epic. I probably couldn't have done it twice though as it was pretty close.

I still get to play real arcade games from time to time whenever I take my son to Chuck E Cheese. They have a couple there. Not like the more teenage-centered arcades of old though.

Ah, you reminded me of the name of the martial arts game I was trying to remember. VirtuaFighter. I finally got to where I could beat that thing all the to the end.

Galaga, Xevious, Centipede and Space Invaders were my favorites. Birthday parties at Showboat Pizza were the cool thing to do, especially when they switched to tokens and you got 6 for a dollar.

Anybody remember the TV game show that was based on arcade games? I guess I was a bit of a game geek cause I never missed it.

Oh, yeah! Centipede. And Joust, and Spy Hunter. Man, even Q-Bert took too many of my quarters.

And Strider. I loved the responsive controls. The ambiance of a future Soviet dystopia added to its appeal as well. If you've played it then you know what I mean when I say - What's with that goofy laugh?

I even named one of my scratch builds after it.

Asteroids, Tempest...but, most of all THIS-

Lunar Lander by Atari...came out around 1979. Made its way to Wisconsin around 1980.

Played the heck out of it! Think I killed Neil and, Buzz more times than I wanted to. :sigh:

Now im really starting to feel old...

I remember that one! And I just remembered Frogger!

Robotron 2048. Was never very good at it but had my 5 minutes of fame when I was on an episode of Real People playing the game.

Asteroids, Tempest...but, most of all THIS-View attachment 298556View attachment 298557

Lunar Lander by Atari...came out around 1979. Made its way to Wisconsin around 1980.

Played the heck out of it! Think I killed Neil and, Buzz more times than I wanted to. :sigh:

Now im really starting to feel old...

OHHHhhhhhhhh mannnnnnnnnnn...

I was going to list my top 3,,,

Galaga,, Asteroids,, and Missle Command...

But I had forgotten about this....
This was the smokinest coolest game there ever was...lol...

Gus,, if you shoot me an email to my sales addy
I'll see if I can find a Tank game I think you'll really like and reply with it...

Teddy

Golden Axe. *hop, slash/slash/slash* 1 quarter, and I could play it almost indefinitely.
Star Wars vector game. I wasn't really good at it, but it was fun. I can still hear the opening, "May the Force be with you." when it starts.
Tron 3d. The disc fight was really fun and amazing looking.

Pac-Man, Zelda, Ninja Gaiden, Mega Man, Asteroids, Pong on the original Atari

My alltime favorite was Tempest, that's the only one I ever thought was cool enough to spend major quarters on....

Frank

Back