favorite motors?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
289 (no, not that one....)
2.3 OHC
5.0 H.O.
And the 5.9 Mopar

Oh, you meant...

1/2A3-4T bulk pack
A3-4T
A8-3T bulk pack
C6-3

Last edited:
K1100, K2050, K550, J350, J570, M1315, L1390G, and flew a K2050ST this past weekend in my 2.6" Screech. Oh my god. MUST DO IT AGAIN!!!!

also... Loki M3464 (arr arr arr!!!)

Hmmmm... Favorite as in "I fly these over and over again"

AT E15/30 - with a 4 second delay it's perfect for my Cosmic Interceptor, with the longer delay it's fun for the "OK Bye" flights for smaller rockets like my Kraken or my slightly upscaled Diamond Ring
AT F27-4 - perfect for odd-rocs (Turbo Vortico, 29mm Stealth) and low flights for other 29mm rockets
AT G80 - It's about as universal as you can get - if it has a 29mm MMT then it can probably fly on one of these - plus I can cluster 8 of them when flying El Monstruo!
AT I357 - seems to be a sweet spot, with enough oomph to get my 38mm rockets moving

With LPR I can't be too specific. I basically try to keep at least a few of everything from 1/2 A to D, then fly whatever is appropriate for the rocket and field. C6-3's seem to be the red-headed stepchild of LPR, though...

K740.jpg

The CTI K740 C-Star. Chunky and punchy. What's not to like..?

thumbnail.jpg

Other than that, I like the Pro 54 3G motors - the J449 and the J355 in particular.

J449.jpg

J355.jpeg

In terms of Pro 38s, I think the J357 is a nice motor:

J357.png

And the H152 is fun:

H152.jpg

AT motors are now available here in the UK, although I've yet to fly any.

C6-3's seem to be the red-headed stepchild of LPR, though...

Estes Big Bertha/Semroc Vega/Quest Big Betty/Fliskits Rhino (especially if it's a breezy day), Estes RTF Saturn V, New Way Square One are all good ways to use C6-3s.

Also, the Estes F15 is a great Turbo Vortico motor...though getting them is harder now that Hobby Lobby has dropped them.

Estes Big Bertha/Semroc Vega/Quest Big Betty/Fliskits Rhino (especially if it's a breezy day), Estes RTF Saturn V, New Way Square One are all good ways to use C6-3s.

Also, the Estes F15 is a great Turbo Vortico motor...though getting them is harder now that Hobby Lobby has dropped them.
Yeah, but I don't have any of those. ;)

Seriously, I do have a couple rockets for the C6-3 (Screw Machine, Estes Crayons). I just have a lot more that want a longer delay. So when I buy the combo packs I tend to have leftover C6-3s long after the rest are gone.

Agree on the F15 and the Turbo Vortico, although I recently noticed that the F15 is specifically not on the recommended motor list for. I seem to recall a discussion that it doesn't have quite enough initial thrust, although I can't remember where I read that. It does tend to arc a bit on launch. Now there's the part where a F15 retails for $15ish, and the F27 is up to $25ish, which makes me more inclined to go with the F15.

Back