Favorite gram scale

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crash-n-Burn

Reaction score
Hi folks, thought I'd take the lazy route to researching gram scales and ask for experiences here. The intent is to weigh out black powder for charges, so resolution to 0.1g is a must. Anyone have a scale that they really like?

I have two, but for different reasons, both portable, both inexpensive.

I use a Salter 1234SVHC, max 5Kg or 11 Lbs and only accurate to 1g for weighing components and rockets under 11lbs.

The other scale I use for mixing up epoxy and weighing BP and it is an AWS SC-501A, max 500g but accurate to .01g. This scale is a bit more expensive than most .1g scales but the extra sensitivity makes it a lot more flexible, so the price difference it has proven to be well worth it, and for a .01 scale it is inexpensive.

Here it is on Amazon for $33.00, and it comes with an AC adapter as well as batteries https://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-Scales-SC-501-A-Nutrition/dp/B00A76VKAG

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been really pleased with the very inexpensive Centech one from Harbor Freight (same one as Titan II linked in post #5). In fact, it's quite a bit better than some I've had in the past that were MUCH more expensive.

I did find however that it's not a good thing to knock over a quart bottle of epoxy resin onto/into it, effectively completely immersing it in goo. At least it was inexpensive to replace!

ssix

I picked up one of these guys recently for 9 bucks at Amazon. Its resolution of 0.1g and max weight of 1 kg pretty much covers everything I would want to use it for. Seems to work fine so far.

Or maybe not use a scale at all:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/943305/lee-improved-powder-measure-kit

No batteries, I don't need a stable place to put down a scale, wind isn't a real concern, and it fits into a very small space. I actually only use a handful of the smaller ones as I can just measure out 3 g using the 1 g scoop. Several of the guys I fly with now use these and we've never had an issue.

Tony

Or maybe not use a scale at all:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/943305/lee-improved-powder-measure-kit

No batteries, I don't need a stable place to put down a scale, wind isn't a real concern, and it fits into a very small space. I actually only use a handful of the smaller ones as I can just measure out 3 g using the 1 g scoop. Several of the guys I fly with now use these and we've never had an issue.

Tony

For BP those are what I use as they are volume measuring method, and the "slide rule" that comes with it is graduated for BP and its reasonable accurate.

Hey guys, thanks for all the options. I ended up ordering mpitfield's latter suggestion - the AWS SC-501A. I wanted something with 0.01g resolution and liked the AC and battery options. I also saw manixFan's scoops and they are certainly intriguing. I may end up ordering those as well since they would simplify field work.

Okay, maybe one last update is in order. Received the scale in good condition from Amazon. Works grat. I'm happy. I thought I was good to go.

Apparently there is a certain demographic that has an interest in gram scales. Now that I have a buying history that crosses over into this demo, Amazon has a whole new world of recommendations for me.

Now I have to explain to Mrs. Crash why Amazon recommends rolling papers and smokeless water pipes. :facepalm:

Okay, maybe one last update is in order. Received the scale in good condition from Amazon. Works grat. I'm happy. I thought I was good to go.

Apparently there is a certain demographic that has an interest in gram scales. Now that I have a buying history that crosses over into this demo, Amazon has a whole new world of recommendations for me.

Now I have to explain to Mrs. Crash why Amazon recommends rolling papers and smokeless water pipes. :facepalm:

Haha! I NEVER would have thought of that. But thanks for sharing. Gave me a huge laugh.

And you thought storing black powder was going to be your biggest source of trouble :)

Have to say I have a number of Grams scales but for the money the harbor Freight 500g scale is just as accurate as both of my much more expensive digital gram scales.
Even at the current 15 bucks it is by far the best value for the Money. Second choice would be the Palm Scale. Do understand you will need 500grams of certified weights to set up your scale. These can be found at McMaster-Carr or most any industrial supply.

Cen-Tech Pocket 500g Scale-c-sm_2 pic_01-07-07.JPG

Percision Brass set & ind. ST-Stl Certified wts_07-07-12.JPG

Latest posts

Back