favorite featherweight rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caheaton2

Reaction score
Hello. I'm talking about the Estes 220 Swift, mini Mosquito, Astron Streak, Semroc Triton, Centuri Satellite 62SL, etc. What's your favorite and why? Just recently built a 220 Swift and am now contemplating building another, but painted to resemble the rifle cartridge. For some reason I've been drawn to these little guys lately....maybe it's because they look so cute when slip them into my wife's china cabinet!

#1 would be the Centuri Li'l Herc.
It was in my first rocket order when I was a kid.
#2 is the Astron Streak.
Split the nose cone in half and hollowed it out.
There was a choice of three fin shapes, I believe, in the instructions.
So I picked the popsicle shaped one to give maximum apogee.
Rounded the leading edge and tapered the trailing edge razor thin.
Put in a C and launched it.
Lost sight of it going up, saw the puff of smoke at ejection, but never recovered it.
It was worth it.

Well, if cute is one of the objectives, and you have a Hobby Lobby within reach, the Luna Bug is certainly an option.

It has the advantage over the Mosquito and especially the 220 Swift and Quark in that the little "landing pads" slow it down during recovery enough that you don't have to worry if it comes down close to people as all three of them streamline in after kicking out the motor. The Luna Bug just does so much more slowly so that you can actually see it. The 220 Swift or Quark with their pointy plastic nose cones would really hurt if it landed on you, I think.

I have the parts necessary to clone a Streak (some of the few parts I have from my Jr. High/High School rocketry days). I should do that. I had one as one of my first (if not my first) rocket but of course it's long gone. Between the 1/8 ounce all up weight and that blunt BNC-10A balsa nose cone, that one doesn't concern me if it happens to land nearby either.

Last edited:
The Estes/Semroc spaceman, Builds nice, flies nice, and you can get creative with it. Also It's not a conventional rocket. It mods well also.

https://www.erockets.biz/semroc-flying-model-rocket-kit-spaceman-kv-10/
Here is Octo-Pete from space, a 4 leg/4 arm Spaceman with my not finished Spock Spaceman.

EhP0otJ.jpg

The Birdie is a close 2nd.

For me my favorite has to be the Micro or Mini Goblin from cardstock. It is around the size of the 220 Swift or mini Mosquito however it uses a small streamer for the recovery. I like it and it is fun to see something that was a flat sheet of paper go very fast and several hundred feet into the air. Here is a photo with two of my Micro Goblins in it. You can get the plans to print out one of your own over in the Cardstock Rockets section.

Attachments

• IMG_4621.JPG
    IMG_4621.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 29
I'll go with the Mosquito on this one. My very first kit build in 1973 was a Mosquito. An additional two were built in the old fleet days.
My BAR era Mosquito, built in 2016, has 11 returned flights with more yet to come.

Guess I should toss mine in here. For me, it was the Centuri Satellite 62SL. (Likely because it was one of my early rockets when I was a teenager). Sadly, it was lost one day when I launched it from the front yard....I suspect it landed in a tree somewhere as I did a thorough search of the yard and even the roof!

Does anyone remember a featherweight rocket that had a clear BT? Was it an early version of the mosquito? I remember using adhesive strips on the BT to give the NC glue something to stick to. From faint memories from back in the last millennia, I seem to recall having more than one of these. I suspect they were low priced.

Shave and a HairCut ...

https://jonrocket.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_38_243&products_id=1756
Came with two cardstock models, one printed and one blank so you could color your own. One plastic nose cone and one balsa block to shape your own cone. I think I got that one free with coupons from all my mail in orders I made back when I was spending all my paper route money on rockets. The cardstock fins are pretty thick and high drag, so you won’t lose this one.

Does anyone remember a featherweight rocket that had a clear BT? Was it an early version of the mosquito? I remember using adhesive strips on the BT to give the NC glue something to stick to. From faint memories from back in the last millennia, I seem to recall having more than one of these. I suspect they were low priced.

This was the Astron Streak. Which is also my pick. Purely for sentimental reasons. I built one in my youth back in the late 70's.

I think I'll pull one of from my stash and build it.
JimZ has the plans here: Astron Streak

Stan

Aaaannnnnndddd it's done. Flew the 220 Swift this morning for it's maiden flight and never saw it land. I saw and heard the ejection, but never did find where it landed....even though it's a mowed grassy field. Soil was soft, so I suspect it may have buried itself and I just didn't walk over it. After an hour search I quit. :-( I gave it a 50 50 chance of that happening, so not too hurt over it. Next build is going to use nose blow recovery....that may help a bit (and maybe a tiny streamer....). Nice flight though, saw the stream of smoke all the way up on a 1/4A3 motor with a touch of a wobble and a slight arc into very light wind.

Yes, that's it. I always wondered if the ejection charge would melt the clear BT. I can't recall ever getting one back to find out ??? :shocked:

I can't exactly recall either, but I'm sure that they're good for several launches at the very least.

Hello. I'm talking about the Estes 220 Swift, mini Mosquito, Astron Streak, Semroc Triton, Centuri Satellite 62SL, etc. What's your favorite and why? Just recently built a 220 Swift and am now contemplating building another, but painted to resemble the rifle cartridge. For some reason I've been drawn to these little guys lately....maybe it's because they look so cute when slip them into my wife's china cabinet!
back in the day : Astron Scout, Sprite and Streak...... I could launch all 3 in the backyard on 1/4A-1/2A and never lose them.....

Back