Fat Sumo

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slipperyfrog

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am new here and like many it seems...built some rockets in the 80's and am now coming back as I have kids of my own. Hooked on rockets again. :)

I was thinking of making a knock off of the Aerotech Sumo. Anyone have a link or scan of the decals for this rocket. Will save me from creating them myself.

Did a quick 5 minute mockup and here is what I'm toying with. Not a Baby Bertha but a Fat Boy scale. Probably edit the sumo to use just Alfred's head and then digitally print it and the decals here at my shop:

2wrqnua.jpg

5505eu.jpg

I was thinking of making a knock off of the Aerotech Sumo...Not a Baby Bertha but a Fat Boy scale.
Well since "Fat Sumo" is rather redundant, may I recommend "Sumo Boy" for a name?
Rather reflects the scaledown, "Goon-ification" (if I may) and merging of the two models.

Alright the paint & decorations feel appropriate now. Time to cut some fins and round up some parts to build this. Now the important questions. Should this be a cluster mount, a 24mm, or other? Any suggestions?

This is what I was shooting for regarding graphics. Maybe fiddle with the lightning bolts and goof them up. I'll just solvent print this and contour cut the baby. :neener:

Sumo_Boy_Draft.JPG

Last edited:
I'd stick with a 24 motor mount, but i like slower lift offs.

I'd stick with a 24 motor mount, but i like slower lift offs.

I am probably going to go with a 24mm mount. I have changed my mind and am going with a Big Daddy kit now. Just cutting, papering, and sanding the fins today. Guess the rocket will be Sumo Daddy now. :cyclops:

Don't know if this quantifies as a Goonified rocket now but it is in the spirit of goonie. :)

Back