Fat low flyer....Quarantine fun!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sbear55

Reaction score
I haven't launched or built in years but during this extra time around home I dug up a box with a few fliskit rhinos and a Richter Recker. The richter will have to wait but I've been having fun helping my son with a rhino build. He's been doing great!

Digging back to my youth I really enjoy fat rockets big and short...or tall. The Estes Fat Boy is my probably my all time favorite. I see it is sadly no longer being made. Recommend me some good kits of that nature. Think Fat Boy, Big Bertha, etc etc.

Need to get another in the works so we have multiple to launch!

Annnnd I should probably finish repairs on my Estes Executioner that hasn't flown in 20+ years!!

Welcome to the forum Sbear!
When I became a BAR (Born Again Rocketeer) a few years ago I cloned the Fat Boy from the plans at YORP:
https://plans.rocketshoppe.com/estes/est1273/est1273.htm
Parts from erockets, balsa sheets from any number of vendors. I think mine came from Hobbylinc.
Home printed decals on inkjet decal paper. I edited the decal scan to a maroon background and printed on white decal paper, IIRC.
Lost the Fat Boy over the Pacific Ocean a few months ago, so I started a replacement clone:
0413201131[1].jpg
Filled, ready for primer, paint and decals.
Also built a Fat Boy inspired scratcher out of spare parts:
0413201131a[1].jpg

BT-60, not as squatty as the Fat Boy, and four fins instead of three.
I call it Magnum .999.:D
Flew nice and straight on its' maiden flight.
You will find a ton of helpful advice and friendship on this forum.
Cheers.

Oops, I see Babar beat me to the punch on the plans.

Big Bertha is my favorite low and slow but recently i have been flying my Estes Red Nova on B and C motors. It's just a touch lighter than a Bertha and goes great on a B6-4. Of course you need the adapter.

I have an unbuilt FatBoy in the basement. I could send you the fin templates or even cut a set and send them to you if you like. The nosecone is the same NC-80B that is used on the super Big Bertha and the body tube is normal BT80 so cloning is an easy process.

Big Bertha is my favorite low and slow but recently i have been flying my Estes Red Nova on B and C motors. It's just a touch lighter than a Bertha and goes great on a B6-4. Of course you need the adapter.

I have an unbuilt FatBoy in the basement. I could send you the fin templates or even cut a set and send them to you if you like. The nosecone is the same NC-80B that is used on the super Big Bertha and the body tube is normal BT80 so cloning is an easy process.

I've got the Bt-80 and nose cone in a cart online. More than enough balsa at home since it doesn't need to be exact I think I'll play around with find designs and do a scratch build!

I’ll have to try the B6-4. The C6-3 barely fit in my local park with the trade winds blowing.

How was the ejection timing on the C6-3? If it was long (rocket arced over and started going down), use a B6-2. If it was short (ejected while rocket going up), use a B6-4

To Flyfalcons- Does Bid Daddy on C11 compere close to the a D12-3??
No, it's a low flight. Not that the D12 takes it high in the first place. You can get away with a fairly small field with this combo.

Back