Fat Boy XL

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whoa, I put it in the cart and proceeded to checkout.
The shipping came out to more than the kit.
$62 and change for shipping for a $59 kit by Priority Mail.
Is the shipping calculator correct?

Fillets are all done. Now just need warm weather to paint.
C08C0EDF-AF4A-4B64-B16C-2DCE34F28F1C.jpeg
Probably is as the box is over usps limits. What did ups want.

That is a good price for that kit. I don't need any more kits, but if I were in a buying zone, I'd buy that in a minute.

Hopefully there is a more economical way to get it to Hawaii, but I doubt Scott is marking up shipping a bunch.

Sandy.

Probably is as the box is over usps limits. What did ups want.
Almost the same.
$63 and change.
I checked the Priority Mail specs, a large flat rate box (12 1/4" X 12 1/4" X 6") weighing up to 70 lbs. can be mailed for less than $23 anywhere in the US, including the 50th state.
What gives?
https://www.usps.com/ship/priority-...Products ,Books Boxed Jewelry 8 more rows
Edit: There is also a note that if the parcel exceeds the flat rate dimensions there will be a $4 surcharge.
For up to a 30" long parcel.

Last edited:
Almost the same.
$63 and change.
I checked the Priority Mail specs, a large flat rate box (12 1/4" X 12 1/4" X 6") weighing up to 70 lbs. can be mailed for less than $23 anywhere in the US, including the 50th state.
What gives?
https://www.usps.com/ship/priority-...Products ,Books Boxed Jewelry 8 more rows
Edit: There is also a note that if the parcel exceeds the flat rate dimensions there will be a $4 surcharge.
For up to a 30" long parcel.
This package is 36x4x4 anything over 24" in usps and price goes nuts. I have no control over how shopify does the shipping. If I find that I can ship it cheaper when processing the order, I refund the difference. This is one reason I am looking at a different hosting service.

4" Fatboy XL: Maniacal thoughts....
It could be done, just not sure how much demand there would be for a kit to stock. Also, you would end up with surface mounted fins. Me I would do six 24mm and a 29 central. This would give enough room to still keep thru wall fins.

I was just thinking about modifying your stock kit with additional motors. I've got all the extra parts I would need for the mods. A 29mm kit could also hold 5x29mm motors. I believe I could keep TTW fins and still get the motors in there. Not too eager to do surface fins without some fiberglass reinforcement. Years back I used to fly a FatBoy with 7x C6-7 motors. Took about 6oz of nose weight, but it was a fun rocket.

I was just thinking about modifying your stock kit with additional motors. I've got all the extra parts I would need for the mods. A 29mm kit could also hold 5x29mm motors. I believe I could keep TTW fins and still get the motors in there. Not too eager to do surface fins without some fiberglass reinforcement. Years back I used to fly a FatBoy with 7x C6-7 motors. Took about 6oz of nose weight, but it was a fun rocket.
Clusters are fun! I fly a 2-stage 6 motor Fatboy, called Santa's Six-Pack. I wonder if a 2-Stage 4" Fatboy XL would fly on 29mm BP motors - 3xF15 to 3xF15. In any case, this looks like a nice kit. Mighty tempting.

I've got mine on the way! Looks like a great kit. Not sure if other people do this, but with 3D printed nose cones I have been coating what I print with a finishing epoxy resin to add some strength (I usually do inside and outside of parts if I can). Seems to add quite a bit of strength and can give a nice surface to prep and paint. Very excited for this, brings me back 25 years to when I built an original fat boy in middle school

My kit just arrived, wow this thing is stout! Had debated doing a tip to tip fiberglass layup, but won't need it on the 29 mm. Very impressive kit. Printing a fin guide now. Will definitely use some expanding foam around the motor tube, and probably still coat at least some of the nose cone in a thin epoxy resin. Nice thing about the 29 mm is I can fly this of the close pads at my club, gonna be an impressive low/slow flight.

My kit just arrived, wow this thing is stout! Had debated doing a tip to tip fiberglass layup, but won't need it on the 29 mm. Very impressive kit. Printing a fin guide now. Will definitely use some expanding foam around the motor tube, and probably still coat at least some of the nose cone in a thin epoxy resin. Nice thing about the 29 mm is I can fly this of the close pads at my club, gonna be an impressive low/slow flight.

I'm doing a build of this kit now. It really is stout. I've taken a bunch of steps to lighten up the rocket and it's still built like a tank.

Back