Quantcast

Fast airstart ignition of K550W ? ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

DMcCauley

Reaction score
Anyone have any recommendations on how to quickly (and reliably) fast start a K550W without having to make a thermite mixture?

Basically, i'll be airstarting (2) K550Ws using a breakwire timer device (PerfectFlight) which will need to initiate just after the central M650W motor ignites and the rocket starts moving.

Thanks
Dan

highpowerrocket

Reaction score
Pyrodex pellet is an excellent way to go. Another option is to dip an electric match in pyrogen and attach a small sliver (or two) of Blue Thunder propellent to the igniter with thread.

FROB

Reaction score
Tell me about it- i just discovered i could make decent propellant from dollar store "ingredients" :D:D:D gotta love it:cool:

ben_ullman

Reaction score
Tell me about it- i just discovered i could make decent propellant from dollar store "ingredients" :D:D gotta love it:cool:
just wait untill you realize how awesome HTPB propellants are ;)

Ben

cjl

Reaction score
I've had excellent success with the slivers of blue thunder method. I just use an F39, and cut the grain lengthwise into 5 or 6 slivers of propellant. Add 1 or 2 to your igniter, and it WILL light, nearly instantly.

DMcCauley

Reaction score
Will an electric match light the blue thunder slivers instantly?

cjl

Reaction score
Not reliably, unless it is dipped. They aren't hard to light, but I wouldn't trust them to light on something as quick as an e-match.

ben_ullman

Reaction score
Not reliably, unless it is dipped. They aren't hard to light, but I wouldn't trust them to light on something as quick as an e-match.
Unless you get the Ematches the BURN not POP. Then you have a good chance.

Ben

cjl

Reaction score
Unless you get the Ematches the BURN not POP. Then you have a good chance.

Ben
E-matches pop. It's how they work.

Yes, some pop slower than others, but they will never burn as slowly as a typical igniter.

ben_ullman

Reaction score
E-matches pop. It's how they work.

Yes, some pop slower than others, but they will never burn as slowly as a typical igniter.
I know the Davey Fires Hold fire long enough to light slivers and pellets. They hold fire longer than say an Mtek

Ben

cjl

Reaction score
Well, if by pellets you mean pyrodex, it is quite easy to light. Any e-match will do. Propellant slivers are harder to light though, at least from my experience.