Fart Cans

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
At least that is what they call those cars with loud exhaust. I have noticed over the pass year or two maybe longer this has been an on going issue with these kids and their loud cars. I find it very annoying and irritating to have to deal with this. Law enforcement has their hands full and they do issue citations for these individuals, but it doesn't seem to be much of a deterrent. It's seems like now sitting on the patio and to enjoy a quiet evening is no longer the norm. I live on a busy street, which I have my entire life and the normal traffic isn't really the issue. It's tolerable, but when you get a group of these people at 11pm-3am in the morning doing donuts in the middle of the street by taking over an intersection that definitely ruins the quality of life and is a nuisance. I wish they would increase the amount of the citation to where it would have a financial impact on their wallets or impound the vehicles that are doing these donuts. Do any of you have the same issue where you live. I'm sick and tired of it

Yep! LOUD cars a few streets over from me.
Usually Friday and Saturday nights. Vroom, vroom then Bang, bang, bang.
All too close to residential areas.

I might be impressed if it were the actual Batmobile. But, these are young farts only impressing themselves.
"I'm gonna' buy a 2004 Toyota Corolla for $1,500 and put $2,000 speakers in it."

I do like watching them have to slow way down going over a speed bump.
Or, when the car is lowered and the tires turn in destroying the suspension. Idiots.

I live 14 miles from where I work, two freeways and a few surface streets.
In the PDX area it is a weekly occurrence. Not a week goes by that you don't see the debris from one of the "gatherings."
It seems from amount of tire debris and so much other garbage their disposable income is too much.
They perps plan out the events and block all the streets so law enforcement can't get close.
IF and by the time the cops do show up they are long gone.
Recently there was one fatality from one individual on a mortorcylce, and a few arrests made on a couple others, but that is less than a drop in the bucket from what I can see from where they have been.
Fines should be automatic forfeiture of the cars and suspended license for so many years.
Too bad to say that it isn't going to happen.
About the glass packs? I would love to fill a few with a couple pounds of potatoes!

love 'em

a sure sign that the car has absolutely no torque. Afterall, no back pressure....

Haha. You getting as old as me? We should get together sometime, and yell at clouds at the rocket range.

If you can't beat them, join them. It's silent on week nights in my neighborhood. I'm the noisy guy up late trying desperately to park my work truck without waking up the neighbors. Don't slam the doors, shove them closed. On warm weekends this quite little country town is loud pipes, fireworks, and hunting/range shooting all day and night. Rather than fight it, I bought some fireworks, put loud pipes on the Ducati (not really, it comes with them), and joined the party at the range. Lots of newcomers in the area complain about the summer fireworks, but it's a major part of the culture in this city.

Now the sound of all that, is music to my ears. I live within hearing range of an Indy Car track that has various racing and motorcycle track days as well. Saturdays sound great.

But still, it's mostly silent at night whenever it's cold out. A fair trade off IMO. Christmas snow is pure silence.

The annoying kids with awful sounding rides come and go. It's only a problem, for the short time it takes them to grow up a little, and realize that a Civic will never sound like a Lambo or Aprilia.

Haha. You getting as old as me? We should get together sometime, and yell at clouds at the rocket range.

If you can't beat them, join them. It's silent on week nights in my neighborhood. I'm the noisy guy up late trying desperately to park my work truck without waking up the neighbors. Don't slam the doors, shove them closed. On warm weekends this quite little country town is loud pipes, fireworks, and hunting/range shooting all day and night. Rather than fight it, I bought some fireworks, put loud pipes on the Ducati (not really, it comes with them), and joined the party at the range. Lots of newcomers in the area complain about the summer fireworks, but it's a major part of the culture in this city.

Now the sound of all that, is music to my ears. I live within hearing range of an Indy Car track that has various racing and motorcycle track days as well. Saturdays sound great.

But still, it's mostly silent at night whenever it's cold out. A fair trade off IMO. Christmas snow is pure silence.

The annoying kids with awful sounding rides come and go. It's only a problem, for the short time it takes them to grow up a little, and realize that a Civic will never sound like a Lambo or Aprilia.
I used to pastor a church (Steam Corners) so close to Mid-Ohio that you could see the hairpin from our parking lot. We had fundraiser breakfasts on the two big motorcycle weekends each year. I'd almost bet we know some of the same people.

I live 14 miles from where I work, two freeways and a few surface streets.
In the PDX area it is a weekly occurrence. Not a week goes by that you don't see the debris from one of the "gatherings."
It seems from amount of tire debris and so much other garbage their disposable income is too much.
They perps plan out the events and block all the streets so law enforcement can't get close.
IF and by the time the cops do show up they are long gone.
Recently there was one fatality from one individual on a mortorcylce, and a few arrests made on a couple others, but that is less than a drop in the bucket from what I can see from where they have been.
Fines should be automatic forfeiture of the cars and suspended license for so many years.
Too bad to say that it isn't going to happen.
About the glass packs? I would love to fill a few with a couple pounds of potatoes!
I agree well said

"yeah, let's make the car real loud with no performance increase, then cant the tires so I can't make a safer turn then a wheel barrow" It is embarrassing for someone like myself who enjoys REAL performance vehicles.
For most of us back in the day it was muscle cars, now that I could listen to all night. A wall tuned Mustang or Camaro or whatever your flavor is...at least they performance sounded sweet.

Valid points, but here they drive those cars all night and after speaking to one of the police dispatchers she mentioned that they aren't even from the area. I know they are kids, but I don't have the time to wait for them to grow up if they ever do? The only time they will is when they get their car impounded or get so many tickets they can't afford another one. I just think most kids...not all, feel they are entitled and they are above the law. They watched too many Fast and Furious movies and that's their hero's. Yeah grow up...good luck right. Now the Indy car track again I could listen to those cars all day, because they sound good. Brings back good memories as do the drag races, but nothing better than a solid lifter cam that has that throaty lumpy lump lump sound...that gives me a tingly feeling all over and a small amount of drool forms on my lips LOL!!

"yeah, let's make the car real loud with no performance increase, then cant the tires so I can't make a safer turn then a wheel barrow" It is embarrassing for someone like myself who enjoys REAL performance vehicles.
Like a Shelby GT500, Boss Mustang, 69 Z-28 Camaro with Cross Ram Induction, Hemi Cuda and the list goes on and on....

Fart Cans are for Asshats. I used to live at an intersection. The two streets were a kind of traffic light free section of the city that connected a highway to a major arterial road leading to the freeway. Thumping cars with loud exhausts were a constant battle. I kept wishing I could create a local EMP device to fry their car's electronics. Fortunately, I was able to move away from there... Far... Far... Away from there.

I've never understood the fart can thing.

I'm more of a Purple Hornie header muffler kind of guy.... That's what we have on our '69 Camaro.

View attachment 468659View attachment 468661
Sweet ride! I had a 69 SS too. 350 4spd posi. Same hood too. Bought it back in the early mid 80's paid $2500 I also had a 68 SS with the same hood, but 350 Turbo 400 also paid $2500 for it in 81 I really miss those cars. At one point I was going to buy a 69 Z-28 302 DZ w/ Muncie 4spd and12 bolt posi. It was Hugger Orange w/ white strips. It was a #'s car too!! In 1985 they were asking $7800 it drove great and was tight. I should have bought that car. One of my biggest regrets, but in all fairness I think I only had $8000 to my name. IDK just figured I would come across another. Back then you could buy muscles all day long between $2500-3500 and some of them had the big blocks. Heck 69 Vettes w/427's were selling for $6500-7000 These were California cars too!! I miss those days...would love to get another one, now that I have plenty money, but what are they now $30-40k for an 68-69SS depending on condition. Back in the mid 70's my brother bought a #'s 70 Boss 302 yeah and paid only $1700 and he still has it!

The only good sounding cars to me have V-8's. I have a 2007 Mustang GT with high flow resonators and 4" tips. The only time I make noise is on ramps and passing. The guy across the street has a newer Vette and the guy down the street builds Hot Rods and we are all quite on our street. I can't understand how anyone can think a 4 cylinder with an expansion chamber muffler sounds good.

The only good sounding cars to me have V-8's. I have a 2007 Mustang GT with high flow resonators and 4" tips. The only time I make noise is on ramps and passing. The guy across the street has a newer Vette and the guy down the street builds Hot Rods and we are all quite on our street. I can't understand how anyone can think a 4 cylinder with an expansion chamber muffler sounds good.
Agreed!!! Nice too see the gear heads on here!

Our house refers to them as "turd mufflers". I don't know why, been calling them that forever now.

I live in rural NW Wisconsin on an old dairy farm. Pretty quite place usually. My gripe is with people who modify their Harleys or pickup trucks to be loud. I have heard some motorcycles & pickups as far as 3 miles away! Why do people do that? A fully loaded tandem logging truck makes hardly any noise at all. :mad:

Last edited:
I used to live on an intersection of two fairly busy roads. When I first moved in to the place it wasn't so bad. As cities grow, so do the noises and traffic.
Just before I moved I was annexed into the city. City limits sign was placed in my back yard.
It got so bad during the summer months, you didn't even want to go into the back yard. Try to hold a conversation with the modified Harleys or the boom boxes with the bass cranked so load it registers in the richter scale vs decibel while sitting waiting for the light to change.
Where I am now is on the back side of a hill, with a dead end street. Quiet, the most noise I hear now is the frogs or the occasional aircraft over flight.

toss in that 'smoke stacking' practice: half-burning your fuel so you belch our black sooty smoke from the stacks.. EPA be damned!

View attachment 468710

It's called "rolling coal"...

I actually wished my F350 would do that once, but it had more to do with the behaviour of the clod behind me than thinking it was cool in any way... 😒

Well those "fart cans" are not "Expansion Chambers".
Expansion chambers are a highly tuned component of a well designed 2-cycle exhaust system.
And as for not sounding good I disagree. If you've ever heard a TZ250 wound-up to 10,500 rpm under load you might change your opinion on that sound. Or a KZ1000 with a Kerker with a race baffle. Four cylinders can sound fantastic.
But I agree that just making a engine loud doesn't make it sound good. There are plenty of poorly tuned Harleys running around with shorties that don't sing, they just squawk! Tune the exhaust and it's a whole n'other story.

You have to tune the exhaust to the engine and vice versa otherwise you aren't making anymore power, maybe/probably less.

Back