Farside-X weight questions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billeblurzz

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I built this Farside-X clone stock like the directions. But the all-up weight without motors or recovery system as you see it here is right at 4oz. The plans also suggest an additional 1 1/2oz. for payload to the third stage for stability. This would maybe push the weight close to 6oz. without even the motors. Would this be too much weight for the C6-0 booster motor in a 3-stage liftoff? Anyone have any experience with one of these? I was wondering if I should build another first stage with 24mm mount instead of the 18mm. Any suggestions appreciated!:confused: :confused:

Actually I think it would be a bit too heavy.

The original Farside X was designed for the B14-0 booster motor.

The lower booster body is big enough (BT-50) you could change it to a D12-0 24mm.

I have a few of them...BUT THEY'RE MINE!!! sorry.:D

sandman

Originally posted by sandman

The lower booster body is big enough (BT-50) you could change it to a D12-0 24mm.

sandman

You still have some B14's ?

Can I come over your house some time - so I can just touch them? :D

Ya know, I LOVE the B-14, I would also love to see these produced again.... The B14s I have came loose in the bottom of a garage sale 'box o rockets' I bought for $5.00 bucks!! They were a real pleasent surprise. I have kept them for old times sake...

Your Farside looks Great !!! I've just bid on one on ebay .... Is yours a Thrustline kit ?

The Farside X is one of those kits I always wanted to build back in the day ... I guess I was intimidated by it then .... I'm not now ... lol

Hey Aero, yes it is a Thrustline kit. The Thrustline kit has no decals; mine came from Tango Papa and were one of his more expensive sets. They are nice but rather thin and need GREAT care in applying or they will roll and break. Since the FARSIDE-X decal is rather long and large, I split it into TWO pieces before I wet it down and attempted to apply it. It makes for some anxious moments with this decal. You get one extra with this decal sheet; luckily I was successful with the first.! The alien decals are stick-on type and came from HOBBY LOBBY in their sticker dept. They seemed most appropriate for this model. I will probably only attempt a two-stage flight as it is; I would suggest building the first stage with a 24mm motor mount! I will build another first stage this way for a 3-stage flight! The original instructions are pretty neat too. Shows OLD way of building parts! Thanks for your comments! I just ordered this from John's printout sheet that he sent me!:rolleyes:

Well great ! I hope mine comes out as nice as yours did .... I'll probrably just make up some of my own decals .... won't look like the Estes originals .... but I bet I can make something that looks OK.

I just bet that a C6-0 would get this one off the ground ... if a C6-3 can push one of my heavy Venus Probes or Exoskels off the launch pad .... well you get my drift.

Very nice indeed! It's always nice to see one of the flock out there! I just can never place a username with a real name!!

I wish we had access to a cross refrence list:D

Originally posted by sandman

sandman

I just found my Centuri B14's. These were obviously made by Estes -- same ink pattern and look. Did Centuri OEM Estes engines always, or make their own at some point?

I think that back in the 60s (at least) Centuri made their own stuff. As I remember, they had a similar line of motors to Estes but I don't know if they made their own or had someone else do it for them. Some of our TRF 'historians' will probably jump in here with the authentic details?

Originally posted by Aerobee300
Well great ! I hope mine comes out as nice as yours did .... I'll probrably just make up some of my own decals .... won't look like the Estes originals .... but I bet I can make something that looks OK.

I think you'll be okay no matter what you decide to do. I don't think the original Farside had a decal. Estes did produce a decal sheet in later years that had a Farside decal on it, but it was after the fact and not a kit decal. (I'll see if I can find the scan.) The Farside was one of the old Astron kits that was usually shown with a multi-colored paint job with painted black stripes.
Then again, I could be wrong.

Thanks Fishhead .... I was thinking of trying to duplicate the original paint scheme ... but I may even do my own thing with that .... I lost the bidding in the ebay auction ... so ... I'm just gonna have to order one direct from Thrustline !

Granted, I have slept since then, but I used a Farside to Launch a mouse for a school project back in 1974. As I recall my original kit did not come with a decal. It was not a pretty sight. We had been working with "Earl" to go through a maze, as a joint science project with my older brother, as the Juniors, and Seniors shared a science class, or chemistry(it alternated every year). We timed "Earl" through the maze, then he was going on his trip, and we would time him afterwards to see if he could still do it. We got an "incomplete" on our project, even though we had some final conclusions, such as "Rocket flight made Earl loose all drive and ambition for going through the maze." Earl just kind of laid there, after we found him in the field when the rocket crashed!. Here is a picture of the Farside after the new payload was added back on. It is a little hard to see, in between the tall light blue rocket and the USA rocket.

Yep it was all three stages B14-0,B14-0,B14-6. It was too windy, and this rocket has a lot of fin area when stacked, but had to fly anyway. The rocket weather cocked at lift off to about 45 deg, then when the second stage lit it was at about 90 deg about 100 ft up. When the upper stage lit, the nose dropped to a downward cant, and it looked like it was still under power when it hit the plowed field. Never did find the nose cone. When we arrived at the crash site, "Earl" had already exited the craft and was laying along side the impact point. The payload tube was smashed, the rest survived. The town newpaper had a photo of me, asisting "Earl" into the payload bay prior to liftoff. We had a service at home for "Earl" who was named for our school custodian. This was the last time we ever tried to launch a vertibrate! During this period of flying my success ratio was not what it could have been!

Did you at least take Earl for a drag before you sent him on? Sorry. I LMAO reading your posts. Good thing PETA wasn't around back then, eh?

Back