Fan for an indoor paint booth

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Use a stove top range fan... or if you can use a bathroom poop vent fan... i am in planning mode for mine now since nights are getting super cold...

I use a multi-speed furnace blower run through an old dryer vent. They can be had relatively cheep on fleabay. My mailman probably thinks I'm running a meth-lab.

Unless you run only waterbase paints, you may want to consider a brushless DC fan- just to prevent spark hazards from the commutator brushes.

I would second that.. go brushless!
That is recommended when using potentially flammable material such as certain sprays...
Greg

A disposable air filter would be a good idea too. To catch some of the vapors and not suck them through the fan.

Mr.Pickle ,please do a search for "paint booths" ,I have some pics of one of mine as well as some info. ,also about pre-filters and such.

Try to make your discharge pipe as large in diameter as possible ,try to avoid accordian type dryer vent hose ,the friction can/will cause performance drops on the intake and discharge ,especially that 4" diam. stuff and on long runs to the outside.

Using a 300 -400 CFM fan ,exhausting through a 4" flex pipe is not the best way to go.

Try to keep the intake (where the fumes and spray get sucked into) at the back or bottom if you can (down draft)keeps dry paint particles away from the surface faster.

If you heat your home with nat. gas ,wood or other products that produce carb.monox. and you use the booth in the house ,a make-up air is a wise choice ,to bring in fresh air and make up for the air exhausted out of the house.You don`t want to start back-drafting your appliances and bring those gases into the house.

HTH

Paul T (industrial ventilation and dust collection guy) :wink:

Back