Falcon Heavy - SpaceX / Boyce Aerospace Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice flight! I see that your video is also on the Boyce Aerospace product description page for this upgrade.
Hmmm, wondering if anybody thought about clustering this baby? Or is it just me?:D
Cheers.

Leonard, I see in your build that you used all four of the original clear fins: Two on the donor core and two on the outboard boosters.
But I was reading the assembly instructions for the upgrade and they say to use only two fins attached to the core.
Did you add the outboard fins for extra stability? I'm wondering how stable this will be if I follow the instructions to the letter.
Because I have yet to see a stable two finned rocket. Thanks.

That's pretty cool, and lighter than I thought it looked. Definitely wouldn't have pegged that as an E12 black powder flight

Did you add the outboard fins for extra stability? I'm wondering how stable this will be if I follow the instructions to the letter.
For you builders out there, I did get a reply from Boyce. The outboard boosters act as a set of fins, so the upgrade is stable using only two of the plastic ones. He says that some builders have used four and reduced the nose weight. Think I'll sim a cluster and see if that will work. Laters.

Leonard, I see in your build that you used all four of the original clear fins: Two on the donor core and two on the outboard boosters.
But I was reading the assembly instructions for the upgrade and they say to use only two fins attached to the core.
Because I have yet to see a stable two finned rocket. Thanks.
I was worried about the stability so I added the 2 other clear fins to the side two boosters. It would have been unfortunate to see this one come off of the pad, take a horizontal turn and coneplant in the dirt. I see you contacted BA and found 2 fins would work. I was too chickens**t to try that. 4 worked just fine. I did think the rocket was underpowered with the E12-4. Thoses are the largest motors I use. I have not grauduated to anything larger. Especially re-loadables. I lose too many rockets already to start leaving that kind of money in the live oak trees around Charleston SC. The field I launched in will not be there too much longer. It's a industrial park outside of Charleston and a new warehouse is going up soon.

Do you think it would be possible to fly with three engines?
I do think it would be a great idea to fly this rocket with 3 motors. I built mine using the BA nozzle inserts on the side boosters which do not allow you to place motors in like the 1st stage of the SpaceX kit. It would be a great idea for BA to offer the option on their kit.
Have you built one of these and plan on flying with 3 motors? If so, I'd love to see a video of that flight.

I do think it would be a great idea to fly this rocket with 3 motors. I built mine using the BA nozzle inserts on the side boosters which do not allow you to place motors in like the 1st stage of the SpaceX kit. It would be a great idea for BA to offer the option on their kit.
Have you built one of these and plan on flying with 3 motors? If so, I'd love to see a video of that flight.
I just ordered the Falcon. This will be my first cluster project. My goal is three engines and maybe booster separation. I’m meeting up with a friend and his boys in 40 days in Death Valley. We’ve been doing this annually for a few years and it’s time to take it up a level. Should I not bother with the BA kit and just kit bash suitable boosters?

That is a whole other adventure and can of worms.

I wouldn't recommend it for the Falcon heavy 3 core config, but if you want to research and try it out, we're owed pictures!

40078071423_d9fdc3b245_z-jpg.374791

Switch
Nyt is "Da Man" on gas dynamic stabilization. He has posted a couple of threads on two successful builds. If you are thinking of experimenting with this might be worth your while to check it out, and avoid some pitfalls.

That is a whole other adventure and can of worms.

I wouldn't recommend it for the Falcon heavy 3 core config, but if you want to research and try it out, we're owed pictures!

40078071423_d9fdc3b245_z-jpg.374791

What I need is a Falcon Heavy rocketsim file. I'm new to rocketsim & won't have time to learn everything I need to know to build a clustered rocket. Rocketsim flights of the Falcon 9 without fins tumble predictably.

Nice build! How much does the finished model weigh? How much is each rocket separately?
Switch, the total weight is 400g, or 14.1oz. I don't know what the individual boosters weigh since they are all connected. I could weigh my SpaceX F9, subtract the difference and divide by two, but then I realized that the SpaceX F9 kit does not have the BA printed landing legs or grid fins which are heavy. Hope this helps though.
FH.jpg

Back