Failure To Launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monger

Reaction score
I have a self made Launch Controller built and used 2 yrs ago. It's power source is a 3S 11.1 Volt ( 800 mah ) Lithium Polymer . Fully charged the battery reads approx. 12.4 volts.
My problem is it will not ignite the starters. I've temporarily tried another larger 3S battery ( 5000 mah ) to no avail. I have checked the output leads to the starter, and it's putting out 12.2 - 12.4 Volts.
Any help to my dilemma would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Monger

What size wiring and how long? Which "starters"? What does your circuitry look like (wiring diagram)?

A 3s Lipoly should be plenty, as you think. I use them in three different launch controllers with reliable success.

I have a self made Launch Controller built and used 2 yrs ago. It's power source is a 3S 11.1 Volt ( 800 mah ) Lithium Polymer . Fully charged the battery reads approx. 12.4 volts.
My problem is it will not ignite the starters. I've temporarily tried another larger 3S battery ( 5000 mah ) to no avail. I have checked the output leads to the starter, and it's putting out 12.2 - 12.4 Volts.

Thanks,
Monger
I did ignite the starters using a 20 Amp power supply at 14 Volts.

Thanks,
Monger
Post a schematic and tell us what starters you’re using. It sounds like you’re perhaps not getting enough current to heat up the starters you’re using.

Put a meter on the clips with the igniter, and see what it puts out under load. You may have a relay contact or switch contact that failed. Trace it back to the battery, with a load.

what does the failed igniter look like when you remove it from motor?

if it’s intact (still has whatever coating it had when you stuck it in) you have a power or circuit problem.

if it is torched, either you have a bad motor (such as unawarely loading a used motor, yup, been dere, done dat, no T shirt), a motor with some clay in nozzle, or incorrect igniter installation (most common.)

I theeeeenk Estes used to throw in a spare igniter with standard motor packs (three motors, 4 igniters), now likely for economic reasons you get exactly the same number of igniters as motors (PITB if you get a failed ignition, buying igniters isn’t much less than buying a whole low power motor.)

IF you get the bulk packs, at least the ones I have got with 24 motors, you get an extra 6 igniters. If you have spares like this, you can just hook up the system with an igniter NOT in the motor, punch the button, and SEE if it is lighting or not.

How MANY igniters are you trying to fire? Series or parallel? Exact brand of igniters? Photograph of your setup? Schematic of your setup?
What are you trying to ignite? Which motor (s)? What is the voltage at your battey? What is the voltage of your battery when connected to a load? (50W quartz bulb or car headlight bulb) What size and length of firing cables do you have?
Once you've supplied all that we'll be able to accurately assist. If you don't know how to get that information, ask another local rocketeer, who does, to assist you. Doing that may solve any issues.

Thanks,
Monger
Did the controller work before and what were/are the igniters you have tried.
Im not sure how much current the batteries can deliver. Its not just voltage. Estes igniters are relatively high current demand. If you have the type with the clear covering on the head it has no pyrogen. The newest Estes igniters have pyrogen. Regardless, when using Estes igniters, you do need to hold down the launch button for a 5 second count. You may have to allow time for the tip to glow red.

Back