Fade to Black Rocket Works Contest pads

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Fade_to_Black

Reaction score
Fade to Black is happy to announce a new pair of contest style pads.

Made of 3/8" steel rod topped with the FTB exclusive TRI-Pad receiver, the Contest pad stands 44" tall at the blast deflector and adjusts easily with a simple twist of a knob.

The Contest pads are available with the standard sleeve style receiver or the Elite style keyless chuck.

Prices are $39 each for the Standard and $49 each for the Elite.

See http://www.ftbrocketworks.com for more details.

contest2.jpg

contest3.jpg

contest5.jpg

rocketaholic

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have one of your pads and is great. However, after yesterday’s launch, the screw on chuck head became stuck with a 3/16 inch rod in it. I ended up having to take it off the mount. Any suggestions???

rocketaholic

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_0717.jpg
if you have a replacement chuck that would e great since this one will not unlock

grouch

Reaction score
Pipe wrenches are your friend. The rubber strap ones will open that right up.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
No one really makes these anymore. A true loss.

Tobor

Get your peanuts....
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe try warming the whole thing up with a heat gun or hairdryer to 110 ℉ ~ 130 ℉, let it sit for a minute and then give the jaws a few squirts of liquid wrench. After the chuck is back to room temp open it up.

No one really makes these anymore. A true loss.
Are you referring to the pad or the chuck?

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
Yes. The pad. I Have several FTB pads. I love them. I wish I purchase one of these.

rharshberger

Reaction score
Is there an interest in this style pad still? I can see a fair amount of usage especially on setups where the pads need to be spread out.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
I would say yes. I can especially see an interest in the heads.

rharshberger

Reaction score
They look to be a modification of the SPAD pad style head. What would the max launch rod size need to be, 3/16" or 1/4", I am guessing 3/16 as the style of base would preclude heavier rockets.

caveduck

semi old rocketeer
Reaction score
We used a Spad-pad type system at DART for a little while, but stakes don't work very well in our "sandpit" launch area. Our solution was to get decent but inexpensive photo tripods from B&H (Smith-Victor P900 IIRC) and combine with drill chucks (cheap ones, bulk buy from Amazon) and 22 cent ceramic tile blast deflectors from HD. Only one part has to be fabricated - a 1/2-13 bolt 3/4" long which gets drilled and tapped on the bottom for a 1/4-20 tripod stud. That adapts the drill chuck to the tripod. You also need to drill a 1/8" to 1/4" hole in the blast tile with a ceramic bit. $40 all up plus 10 mins of work to drill/tap the bolt and deflector. (If you have built actual Spad pads they are less expensive in materials but there is a fair amount of work to fab the heads).

They work great...the 1/2" chucks will hold anything from a micro-maxx rod up to a 10mm MakerBeam rail, they're fully adjustable including height, and will hold a 2 lb MPR rocket without any flex in the base. The drill chucks have to get replaced occasionally as they are cheap and tend to corrode but a squirt of WD-40 once in a while will delay the inevitable. I can totally understand having a chuck get jammed :)

o1d_dude

'I battle gravity'
Reaction score
Looks like the Facebook page is now called Fade To Black Rocket Works. Just checked...and it's going to cost me LOL!!