FaceBook goes Meta

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish them complete success in the creation of their metaverse. That way the most Facebook obsessed people can climb fully into their virtual thunder dome and stop mucking up the real world. The best opportunity for voluntary addition by subtraction that I can think of.

yeah.. " M'eh .."

FB is a shell of it's former self.. just a glorified catalog of crap you never knew existed.. or needed.. or had a vague interest in..

But it has been interesting to see how much we (I) are willing to put up with.. Ads (Lots of them!) more & more 'suggestions' for freinds & groups (lots there too!) and Memes shared ad nauseum..

But like all bad habits, somewhat hard to shake.. but i am trying..

But like all bad habits, somewhat hard to shake.. but i am trying..

I went "cold turkey" on it. Did the whole jump-though-hoops stuff to delete my account, and 30 days later it was G.O.N.E., and I've never looked back. I think it's one of the best things I've done in years.

I went "cold turkey" on it. Did the whole jump-though-hoops stuff to delete my account, and 30 days later it was G.O.N.E., and I've never looked back. I think it's one of the best things I've done in years.
I am "this close" to doing the same.. I no longer 'cruise' FB on my phone, as it's all ads.. Useless irrelevant uninteresting ads.. every 2nd post in my newsfeed..

The only thing stopping me is:
  • Keeping in touch with my sister. this is the only platform she uses (no home computer, no e-mail, etc..) Facetime with her once a month..
  • 2 groups / clubs that I participate in.. (And one of those is my rocketry club!) well, 'view' is more the proper term..
  • Messenger. I have a few friends who use this exclusively for communications.. And the ability to make 'groups' to have conversations in is nice..

My step-mum has had her account hacked numerous times, she no longer relies / uses it. And I've had a number of 'friend requests' from friends I already have (more hacked accounts) This is obviously something that needs some serious attention..

I am "this close" to doing the same.. I no longer 'cruise' FB on my phone, as it's all ads.. Useless irrelevant uninteresting ads.. every 2nd post in my newsfeed..

The only thing stopping me is:
  • Keeping in touch with my sister. this is the only platform she uses (no home computer, no e-mail, etc..) Facetime with her once a month..
  • 2 groups / clubs that I participate in.. (And one of those is my rocketry club!) well, 'view' is more the proper term..
  • Messenger. I have a few friends who use this exclusively for communications.. And the ability to make 'groups' to have conversations in is nice..

My step-mum has had her account hacked numerous times, she no longer relies / uses it. And I've had a number of 'friend requests' from friends I already have (more hacked accounts) This is obviously something that needs some serious attention..
LinkedIn is bad that way, too. My company has many "employees" from third world countries. And there is no way for a company to delete the fraudulent "employees". I'd dump my account in a minute if it were not for my (now former) company. Since I still occasionally consult for them, I leave it up.

Hebrew for ''death''?!?

That's great. It's likely as unusable as Facebook.
🙂

Remember it's just the parent company that is changing names. The Facebook product that people use/abuse won't be changing names.

I wished they would spend some money making the damned thing less crappy.

I only made a Facebook account because I needed it to keep up with my rocket club.

I hate facebook.

I don't/won't do Facebook. Ironically, I have to check in with a friend who does have it to check on ROSCO/ICBM launches!!!! I'd be glad to find the info on the regular website or here, but it seems that Facebook has the most current info at times.

Sandy.

They should have consulted me first. Call it @$$Book. That will really turn things around.

That's not too far off from the platform's Harvard origin to judge and rate female student's certain qualities.

There is a lot more traffic on facebook. Maybe latest activity should be copied to the main page of the rocketrysouthcarolina main page.

I'd even be good with every facebook post getting put in the forum section, but I bet that doing that or copying it to the main page would not be easily automated and therefore more work for the overworked.

My main goal for 'current' information is based on weather or other launch changes. I plan on the dates based on the schedule on the main site, but I like to confirm that the day is a go before packing the truck.

In my case, my flying buddy already has facebook, so its not much of an issue for me as we check-in with each other before launch day, but if he didn't have it we'd gamble more I guess.

I wish I had a golden bullet for solving the issue, but each club has to do what seems to work the best, especially since it is all a volunteer job.

I appreciate the efforts of the volunteers and am happy to join in the fun at the launch site when I can make it down there for sure.

Sandy.

Back