FAA Waiver

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwightr

TRA 18787
Reaction score
I've applied for a FAA Launch Authorization about 14 days ago. I emailed my application to the email address on the NAR website. Does anybody know how long it usually takes for them to respond. I know it usually takes 45 days or more to get approval but I would at least like to know if somebody actually got the application.

You should have received a receipt acknowledgment by now I think. Did you re-send the request per the NAR website instructions ? Perhaps contact a local club and find out what their process is ? If all else fails you might try contacting Joseph Pilgrim, our central region contact. He may be able to get your request to the right person in your area.

I sent a follow up email today. I'll call a friend at Greensboro FSDO if I don't get a reply next week.

This is the first year I have emailed our request in. I heard back almost immediately that they had received it. This was not an auto reply but from an actual person and it was the same day. Within just a few days our request was approved and attached to an email. I like this much better than snail mail. Keep in mind that this was a renewal and was already in the ssystem. A new COA may take a little longer.

I would resend as suggested. Mr Pilgrim was also my contact and was very helpful and knowledgeable.

I sent a second email and got a quick response. Unfortunately since the location that I want to launch from is under a restricted area, a MOA, and several low altitude MTR's it's going to take a while for FAA to get all the coordination in place with military.

I sent a second email and got a quick response. Unfortunately since the location that I want to launch from is under a restricted area, a MOA, and several low altitude MTR's it's going to take a while for FAA to get all the coordination in place with military.

Aha ! I don't have personal experience flying in an MOA but I believe other TRFers have successfully negotiated that terrain. Stay with the process and hopefully you'll be flying sooner or later.

Thanks for the encouragement. I know it's not going to be a quick process but I'm hopeful that it can be done.

Thanks, the FAA is really great to work with. I'm an ag pilot and I deal with our Principal Operations Inspector every year and they are always helpful and respectful. They just have a job to do but if you follow the rules and work within the system they truly want to see you succeed.
This process worked the same way.

Thanks, the FAA is really great to work with. I'm an ag pilot and I deal with our Principal Operations Inspector every year and they are always helpful and respectful. They just have a job to do but if you follow the rules and work within the system they truly want to see you succeed.
This process worked the same way.

That’s exactly my feelings about the FAA. I’ve always found them helpful and enjoyable to work with.

Back