FAA Waiver

Discussion in 'Ground Support' started by dwightr, Aug 30, 2019.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Aug 30, 2019 #1

dwightr

dwightr

dwightr

TRA 18787

I've applied for a FAA Launch Authorization about 14 days ago. I emailed my application to the email address on the NAR website. Does anybody know how long it usually takes for them to respond. I know it usually takes 45 days or more to get approval but I would at least like to know if somebody actually got the application.

2. Aug 30, 2019 #2

samb

samb

samb

Lifetime Member

You should have received a receipt acknowledgment by now I think. Did you re-send the request per the NAR website instructions ? Perhaps contact a local club and find out what their process is ? If all else fails you might try contacting Joseph Pilgrim, our central region contact. He may be able to get your request to the right person in your area.

3. Sep 1, 2019 #3

dwightr

dwightr

dwightr

TRA 18787

I sent a follow up email today. I'll call a friend at Greensboro FSDO if I don't get a reply next week.

4. Sep 6, 2019 #4

JoeG

JoeG

JoeG

This is the first year I have emailed our request in. I heard back almost immediately that they had received it. This was not an auto reply but from an actual person and it was the same day. Within just a few days our request was approved and attached to an email. I like this much better than snail mail. Keep in mind that this was a renewal and was already in the ssystem. A new COA may take a little longer.

I would resend as suggested. Mr Pilgrim was also my contact and was very helpful and knowledgeable.

Steve Shannon likes this.
  5. Sep 7, 2019 #5

dwightr

dwightr

dwightr

TRA 18787

I sent a second email and got a quick response. Unfortunately since the location that I want to launch from is under a restricted area, a MOA, and several low altitude MTR's it's going to take a while for FAA to get all the coordination in place with military.

6. Sep 9, 2019 #6

samb

samb

samb

Lifetime Member

Aha ! I don't have personal experience flying in an MOA but I believe other TRFers have successfully negotiated that terrain. Stay with the process and hopefully you'll be flying sooner or later.

7. Sep 9, 2019 #7

dwightr

dwightr

dwightr

TRA 18787

Thanks for the encouragement. I know it's not going to be a quick process but I'm hopeful that it can be done.