F22 Raptor - Madcow Frenzy XL Remix

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Machet_Man

Reaction score
Howdy Everyone,

No long build thread today but I wanted to share my latest build that will be flying this weekend up to around 7100' on a K740.

Some of the features of the build include:
-3D printed E-Bay sled with RRC3 mounting holes, Action Camera holder and 9V battery holder
-Camera window in E-Bay housing
-Custom parachute attachment bulkhead
-F22 Raptor themed paint job done with painter tape and a sharp exact knife

Below are a couple pictures of the components and the rocket next to the rest of the fleet.

Tripp

IMG_20170809_220142.jpgIMG_20170809_220042.jpgIMG_20170809_220031.jpgIMG_20170728_015756.jpgIMG_20170728_015751.jpgIMG_20170630_171559.jpg Hope y'all enjoy!

Nice, good luck! My favorite motor - please post video! Where are you flying (also from TX)?

Nice, good luck! My favorite motor - please post video! Where are you flying (also from TX)?

Thank you! I will be flying out at the Tripoli Houston Launch in Hearne, TX on Saturday if I can make it out there, if not this weekend it will be next month on the 9th.

I will post video from ground and if all works out, from onboard as well.

Tripp

F22 paint job eh? Sounds like you're not afraid of a challenge. The tricky part is getting that finish to look like a conventional Grey camouflage AND a natural metal finish depending on how the light strikes the plane. I did a plastic scale model of the F22 a few years ago and came up with a finish that matches the real thing, at least to my satisfaction. First I painted the whole model the primary Grey color, then freehand airbrushed the darker grey color on the upper surfaces and vertical tails. Next I misted on an aluminum paint to get the glint effect. Then semi gloss clear to get the overall sheen. Finally I masked off all of the leading / trailing edges and other places radar absorbing material is, and painted that with the prOmaru Grey color. These seem to be flat sheen no matter what the lighting is so that's why that's last.

Not it sure if your up for that but I thought I'd share how I was able to get that effect. Go very light on the metallic paint if you chose to do this. Using a scrap piece of wood other material for practice is probably a good idea.

F22 paint job eh? Sounds like you're not afraid of a challenge. The tricky part is getting that finish to look like a conventional Grey camouflage AND a natural metal finish depending on how the light strikes the plane. I did a plastic scale model of the F22 a few years ago and came up with a finish that matches the real thing, at least to my satisfaction. First I painted the whole model the primary Grey color, then freehand airbrushed the darker grey color on the upper surfaces and vertical tails. Next I misted on an aluminum paint to get the glint effect. Then semi gloss clear to get the overall sheen. Finally I masked off all of the leading / trailing edges and other places radar absorbing material is, and painted that with the prOmaru Grey color. These seem to be flat sheen no matter what the lighting is so that's why that's last.

Not it sure if your up for that but I thought I'd share how I was able to get that effect. Go very light on the metallic paint if you chose to do this. Using a scrap piece of wood other material for practice is probably a good idea.

I wanted to devote that much time to it and make it match as close as possible but with a busy month before school starts back up I decided to wrap it up. Im happy with the results and it was never intended to be an F22 themed rocket to start but I thought it would be a fun project none the less.

I have one of those Revell F22 models waiting to be painted though so I appreciate the advice!

Tripp

Nice work on the fin bevels. What technique did you use?
I also like your recovery anchor mount, with the added cross members.

Latest posts

Back