F14 conversion

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkooch

Reaction score
Attached are two pics of a PMC conversion of the F14D. The first painted version is of the Revell/Monogram model and is one I did around 12 years ago. It flew successfully many times. The second is unpainted and is the more detailed Academy model. If the weather holds, next week, it will make it's maiden flight.

The conversion is perhaps the most difficult to do of any PMC I've done in the past. Each motor tube has 3-D bends in it to get the right thrust allignment. I eyeballed it the first time and got it dead on- all flights were arrow straight. This time, I used lasers.

I've made a unigue launching jig to get both motors to light at the same time. It essentially is a block of wook with holes spaced the correct distance apart to accomodate two ematches. The motors are fitted with a length of thermalite and the model is set down into the jig so that the thermalite seats inside the ematch tubes.

Kevin Kuczek

Back