f/s: 1/100th scale Saturn 1b vacuform wraps

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grafgulch

Reaction score
For those who are interested I have a bunch of Saturn 1b wraps wraps for sale.
1 set cost $15 (shipping included). I do have a paypal account, but also take check or money order.

To order a set or answer any questions email: grafgulch@aol (dot) com

Also attached some pictures of my wraps.

thanks,

Paul

s1bwraps.jpg

100_1451.jpg

To order the Saturn 1b wraps for $15.00 a set I take check or Money Order or you can paypal grafgulch@aol(dot) com.

For those wanting the 1/70th scale Little Joe II wraps you will have to wait, I am in need of more plastic. I also should point out the Little Joe II wraps are "sport scale", meaning there are only 118 corrugations instead of the required 120 corrugations.

Thanks,

Paul Graf
8079 Wolf Rd
Alton, IL 62002

tele: 618-258-0342

Oh well what's a few corrugations here or there. Your among friends here.:D

I'll be putting in an order for a couple of the 1/70th scale Little Joe II wraps also.

I would like to give a few tips about applying the Saturn 1b wraps.

1. When applying the wraps make sure you line up the flat space were the external tunnel system is applied. See attached pic.

2. When gluing the wraps try to pull the wraps as tight as possible otherwise you can end up with a small gap between the stringers at joint.

If anyone else (like Dtomko or Rocketguy101) who has bought my wraps have any tips too please feel free to chime in. I want to make sure who buys these are pleased.

S1b_Align.JPG

Paul's wraps are fantastic. They are much more scale in detail than the old Centuri/Estes version. Here's the clone I made with them a few years back.

Sat 1b complete.jpg

I drew a guideline as recommended in the Centuri instructions. I compared the wraps to George Gassaway's drawing and determined the bottom S-IV wrap should line up on the guideline.

I glued the bottom wrap in place, then drew a new guideline from one edge of tunnel system flat up to the top of the tube. When I applied the upper wrap, I lined up the edge of the tunnel flat with the new guideline.

I didn't pull mine tight enough and ended up with a tiny gap--I just trimmed a piece of the styrene stock and used it as a filler. It is hardly noticable.

DSC_2503MR.jpg

Paul,

Glad to see that you are getting back into the vacuum formed wrap business. Any chance that you might be to do the Centuri Orion wraps? (I'll have to look them up again, but they were a truncated combo of some Saturn 1B and Saturn V wraps.)

I have Paul's Saturn 1B wraps. They are great (but they are still languishing in the build queue).

Paul,

Glad to see that you are getting back into the vacuum formed wrap business. Any chance that you might be to do the Centuri Orion wraps? (I'll have to look them up again, but they were a truncated combo of some Saturn 1B and Saturn V wraps.)

I have Paul's Saturn 1B wraps. They are great (but they are still languishing in the build queue).

Hi Dewain,

I'm glad you like them. You are right, the Orion wraps are truncated versions of the Saturn 1b & Saturn V wraps.

I do plan on making a truncated version of 3rd stage Saturn V wrap soon. I know my Saturn 1b wrap is a little different in detail then the Centuri version, but I am hoping that is good enough for someone who is wanting to clone the Orion.

Paul

Paul et al.,

As many of you may already be aware, Semroc is planning on making a 1/100th scale Saturn 1B kit this year (subject to change of course), and there are plans for an Orion clone kit at some point. I am holding onto my wraps from Paul to wait to see what Semroc does. I believe that Semroc is working on paper wraps with balsa details (as was done in their 1/70th Sat 1B Estes clone), in which I might want to substitute the vacuum formed wraps.

I wanted to toss this out there in the event that others wanted use Paul's vacuum-formed wraps.

The paper and balsa approach used on the 1/70th scale Sat 1B was true to the Gene Street original, and that is how I built mine. However, the original Centuri 1/100th scale (and the Orion) used vacuum-formed wraps, so using vacuum formed wraps would make the kit closer to the original.

:shock: Thanks for the heads up. It sounds like I will soon be nudged out of business and obsolete. :eek: I starting to understand how the mom & shop shops feel about walmart. :(

Anyone want to buy a vacufomer??

I'm only joking of course.. This was just an excuse to use a few emoicons.

Paul

I keep hoping you and Carl will work out an arrangement where you supply all the wraps for the Saturns, LJII, and Orion. Then you could be working in a sweatshop for The Man :D:D:D:roll::roll:;)

My delivery was almost TOO fast! Wow, but you are quick, sir!

The wraps are also of excellent quality!

Thanks!

Carl! Oh, Carl! Can we talk about Saturns, Carl?? :D

My delivery was almost TOO fast! Wow, but you are quick, sir!

The wraps are also of excellent quality!

Thanks!

Carl! Oh, Carl! Can we talk about Saturns, Carl?? :D

Thank you.. that means alot.

And to eveyone else that bought my wraps, if you happen to mess up a wrap, let you exacto knife get away from you, or you dog chews it up. Llet me know and I will replace it.

Paul

:shock: Thanks for the heads up. It sounds like I will soon be nudged out of business and obsolete. :eek: I starting to understand how the mom & shop shops feel about walmart. :(

Anyone want to buy a vacufomer??

Paul

Paul.

Not to wory. The Semroc ktis have used paper wraps for the corrugations and balsa pieces for the doohickies (APS units, ullage motors, and all that). I think that you could wind up selling your vacuum formed wraps to people like me who would rather use the vacuum formed wraps.

Maybe you should call Carl to see if he wants you to supply wraps.

I was only joking. I really glad too see more scale kits being offered. Plus, I can only make one set at a time. I'm a small time operator.

Paul

Here we are a few years down the road, are these wraps still available for purchase ?

I just purchased a couple sets from him last month. They are top-notch, and I would recommend purchase to anyone needing a set. :)

Back