F-105 Thunderchief from Arkansas [Dynasoar Roketry]

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had another launch of my F-105 in Memphis, in 17 mph winds! (We had a small weather station, with wind speed measurement.)

This model continues to handle high winds well, if you plan accordingly. My flight on 4/27/19 was very similar to the video shown above (Post #55).

To review, this is my "flight plan" for HIGH WINDS:
  1. I am using a 48" launch rod, 1/4" diameter, with a 3 to 5 degree angle (from 90 degrees). The launch rod was pointing INTO the wind.
  2. The F-105 was sitting on the launch pad, with its belly facing the wind direction. This reduces the movement of the model, caused by the wind.
  3. I use a brick to set the base of model on, so that the motor flame does not cause damage to the back of the F-105.
  4. LAUNCH. Once the F-105 'clears the tower', I arc over at a 45 degree angle, going into the wind.
  5. I continue flying at a 45 degree angle into the wind, until the motor stops.
  6. Once the motor stops, I try to stabilize/orient the model. Making sure the right side is up! At this point, the model is quite a ways upwind from me.
  7. After taking a moment to orient the F-105, I then turn the model downwind.
  8. At this point, the F-105 has the wind at its tail, and it is moving FAST. Once it gets roughly even with where I am standing, I turn it into the wind again.
  9. Turning into the wind, I am now doing the "hover glide". The wind is so strong, and the F-105 is so light, that the model seems to hang in the air. I give it some nose down, if I think it is about to stall (and to get a slight amount of airspeed). The effect is that it looks like I am landing a Harrier jump jet: the model slowly settles to the ground.
The trick is not to get too far DOWN WIND. Because, with strong winds and a light model, it is very challenging to get back.

Try just doing s curves and let the wind slide you back over the flight , you lose less altitude than turning fully down wind!

Calm, blue skies, birdies singing.... well done. Love these videos!

Thanks, John. I love my F-105; it is one of my favorite models of all time. It has flown well in really bad conditions; and is "cool as the other side of the pillow" on a good day.

The dual elevator control (there are no ailerons) developed by Dynasoar Rocketry is fantastic. I hope to use the design on a MiG-21 electric ducted fan [EDF] some day.

Note also that I 'pushed it over' at launch to send it into the wind.

Nice!

I need to get out there to Memphis one of these months and fly with you guys.

Best to check the Facebook page. Look for Mid-South Rocket Society in Memphis, Tennessee. We launch at Shelby Farms.

There is also a website, but it is out of date. It is a long story, but we do not have access to it.

Great build. this one looks like a lot of fun. I have 2 of the current designs. I may have to clone this. I have 3D printed the nose cone. unless He is able to do another run with or without the canopied nose cone?

Great build. this one looks like a lot of fun. I have 2 of the current designs. I may have to clone this. I have 3D printed the nose cone. unless He is able to do another run with or without the canopied nose cone?
I think the problem is that this nosecone is simply not available from Estes anymore. You might could request a substitute.
Sadly, the F-105 was a short run kit. Just not a lot of interest.

That is why I designed a similar NC in Alibre and printed it. see what have you printed today thread. It does not have the cylindrical section in the NC so it is "different". I will see if he has the stuff for a kit minus the NC.
fullsizeoutput_93c-jpeg.381105

Last edited:
Unfortunately I don't have the parts to do the full flying tail anymore and the current depron foam that I'm using on my kits isn't stiff enough for that wingspan design with the reinforcing I could do, and I'm just not comfortable.

Back