F-104 Starfighter - Semi Scale (BT-60 + 3D printed Parts + Plywood Fins - BT-80 is next)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am considering making a Zombite Fighter [inspired] version of the F-104 - inspired by the bad guys' fighter planes in the classic Thunderbirds TV show.

Wondering what compromises will be acceptable (basically what irks people that know the model or other finicky ones among us when they look at this). For example, do I need to fully 3D print that bottom booster or can I use a BT-55 tube like depicted.

I also adjusted the supports for the ring tail. The model in the TV show (and plastic kits) has 2 vertical supports. However, the bottom one would be directly in line with that booster engine. I am not sure that I would fly this with an engine in the booster, however, I like to size anything that could potentially take an engine to allow it.

This is all mostly just mock-ups so I can change most things.

1675784966627.png
1675785043252.png
1675785081597.jpeg
1675785093446.png

Blown away by the finishing that Kurt Affholter applied to his F-104 kit (he shared via Facebook). This type of incredible finishing is why I cannot hope to compete so don't even bother painting. I am so pleased to create a blank slate that Kurt, Ken, Dan, and others can finish with their amazing skills...

1677892074371.png
1677892229030.png
1677892243471.png

This is how Kurt described his process:

"I prepped the wood pieces by sanding and sealing with 3 coats of Sig sealer. The paint process needed to be extra smooth because metallic paint will show any seams so I started with 2 heavy coats of Rusto primer filler. Sanded that down then applied a coat of Rusto grey primer to highlight any imperfections, sanded that then another coat of grey to create a smooth base. Next a coat of Rusto Gloss Black as a final base for the metallic acrylic paint. The Aluminum, Dark Aluminum and Graphite grey paint from Vallejo Metal Air were all airbrushed."

Earlier I was seriously considering this scheme and even bought the Monogram kit to copy the decals.
View attachment 551315
However choosing a paint for this plane is the toughest I've had yet of any rocket. There are also the shiny metal versions which would be amazing to copy. Too many great choices!
I thought I had posted pics here of my finished build, but I guess not.

Here it is to throw in another! (Apologies if you've seen these posted elsewhere.)

20230218_132030.jpg
20230218_132104.jpg

Not sure about me being with the rocket adding anything to these sexy finishes.

I think it is definitely the 3 most varied prototypical paint schemes --and awesome ones at that -- that I have seen on any rocket.

Looks like a peregrine falcon chasing a partridge. seems like the 104 was overkill for flying chase on this mission.

Okay, I guess it was the ALTITUDE that needed the 104. The M2 was supposed to rocket up to 80,000 feet. T38 ceiling is 55,000 feet.

Last edited:
Back