EZI-65 questions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketryBen

Reaction score
I have some questions about the LOC EZI-65 rocket kit.
What's the biggest motor it can handle without needing fiberglassing?
What shock cord does it come with, elastic or something else?
Does it come with rail buttons?
Is it set up for dual deploy?
_____
I'm looking to buy one of these from Discount Rocketry soon, but I want to know what I getting before I spend money to buy one.

Ben

It says on their website, "Now includes 5/8″ Tubular Nylon Shock Cord and Eyebolt Mount". Not sure what an eyebolt "mount" is. It mentions a J90 motor, which would get it pretty high. It also says "launch lug", so I'm guessing it doesn't have rail buttons. I would make sure the kit you buy is a current version, and not new old stock. The LOC-IV I bought years ago came with a 1/4" launch lug and an elastic shock cord. I added my own eyebolt in the forward centering ring, 1/2" flat nylon webbing shock cord, and rail buttons.

https://www.locprecision.com/product/ezi-65/

Hi Ben,

Responses below:

What's the biggest motor it can handle without needing fiberglassing? I've had two...both glass-less. Biggest motors I've flown in them is 54-3g motors. I've heard of them shredding on J motors though haven't personally experienced it. The fins will flutter if the V gets too great.

Think it comes with tubular nylon now. Contact Loc to verify...if it's not supplied stock, ask and ye shall receive.

Loc has them. Think that's the intent eventually. They weren't included last time I picked one up bit it's been a while. Railbuttons.com is your friend.

NO. But my favorite current setup is dual deploy using a jolly logic chute release. Stock payload section is too short for standard dual deploy.
_____
I'm looking to buy one of these from Discount Rocketry soon, but I want to know what I getting before I spend money to buy one.

Have 23 flights on my EZI's....G to J powered...including the I65 of course! Great rocket for a variety of motors!

Eric

Hi Ben,

Responses below:

What's the biggest motor it can handle without needing fiberglassing? I've had two...both glass-less. Biggest motors I've flown in them is 54-3g motors. I've heard of them shredding on J motors though haven't personally experienced it. The fins will flutter if the V gets too great.

Think it comes with tubular nylon now. Contact Loc to verify...if it's not supplied stock, ask and ye shall receive.

Loc has them. Think that's the intent eventually. They weren't included last time I picked one up bit it's been a while. Railbuttons.com is your friend.

NO. But my favorite current setup is dual deploy using a jolly logic chute release. Stock payload section is too short for standard dual deploy.
_____

Have 23 flights on my EZI's....G to J powered...including the I65 of course! Great rocket for a variety of motors!

Eric

That all being said, and Eric knows a thing or dozen about LOC's. The ones Discount Rocketry may have in stock might be older versions with elastic shock cords, not the newer versions from Loc.

Thanks, Jim & Eric for the info!
Budget for me is pretty low due to my L3 coming up, (I ordered my L3 rocket late last week)
Do you guys know of anywhere I can pick up a used (cheaper) Jolly Logic Chute Release?
And lastly, does anyone have pictures of all the components from the rocket kit? I can't find any anywhere! :confused:

Ben

I bought a LOC Expediter which came with the old elastic cord. I asked about this and LOC sent me free a new nylon shock cord, centering ring and eye bolt.

Thanks, Jim & Eric for the info!
Budget for me is pretty low due to my L3 coming up, (I ordered my L3 rocket late last week)
Do you guys know of anywhere I can pick up a used (cheaper) Jolly Logic Chute Release?
And lastly, does anyone have pictures of all the components from the rocket kit? I can't find any anywhere! :confused:

Ben

Which rocket are you using for your L3? Good luck on it!

I can't imagine anyone selling their JLCR, unless they're getting out of the hobby. I'd post a wanted ad in the Yard Sale section of the forum.

You might have to contact LOC for a photo of the components. I know he frequents the forum, he might post here, if he sees the thread.

Which rocket are you using for your L3? Good luck on it!

I can't imagine anyone selling their JLCR, unless they're getting out of the hobby. I'd post a wanted ad in the Yard Sale section of the forum.

You might have to contact LOC for a photo of the components. I know he frequents the forum, he might post here, if he sees the thread.
The LOC Precision HyperLOC 1600 is the rocket of choice. I also plan on using a AT M1850W. Should be a sweet flight! :cool:

Ben

You're in good shape with Discount. Ruby has current versions of the EZI with tubular. It does not come stock with buttons... yet. But, I believe Ruby would have some in stock. The kit is designed for low thrust/long burn motors. with 1/8" fins I wouldn't push it... but as stated above, I've seen K's. It's not the airframe that would fail requiring glass. It's the 1/8" fins to keep it light, that could start to flutter. Any other questions just toss us a line. We're happy to help!!!

I did a video on beefing up an EZI-65 to be a L2 cert. rocket:
jcrocket.com/certify-level-2.shtml

You should feel comfortable building the kit stock as Loc is one of the pioneers of HPR kits. (I believe since I made the video above that some of the parts have been upgraded.)

BTW, I flew that rocket twice: on a I65 and K535.

Great video John! The reason you give for glassing is the only reason I do it as well. It's certainly NOT needed for flight, but does help with transport, storage and even finishing!

I did a video on beefing up an EZI-65 to be a L2 cert. rocket:
jcrocket.com/certify-level-2.shtml

You should feel comfortable building the kit stock as Loc is one of the pioneers of HPR kits. (I believe since I made the video above that some of the parts have been upgraded.)

BTW, I flew that rocket twice: on a I65 and K535.

John it looks like you put the drogue chute out of payload tube and main out of booster tube? Is that right? I need to give that a try. Great video.

John it looks like you put the drogue chute out of payload tube and main out of booster tube? Is that right? I need to give that a try. Great video.

I prefer the more traditional arrangement, but this worked for this lighter rocket. Just be sure to use shear pins.

Back