EZI-65 Parachute

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ac2fv

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've finished my L1 project, a Loc EZI-65 (Rat Fink). Total weight without the motor is 2.83 lbs., so I'm figuring a little over 3 lbs with motor. I'm keeping my L1 attempt KISS... stock kit, motor ejection with standard chute release. The plan is for an "H" motor of some sort. My question is, has anyone flown the EZI with the standard Loc parachute, and did it give any issues? I've read reports of "swinging" from Loc parachutes. Should I upgrade the chute, and if so, to what size? I'm thinking of the Rocketman Parabolic style with 4 lines.
Thanks.
Scott
AC2FV

Attachments

• rat-fink.png
    rat-fink.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Love the paint job and good luck with the Level 1!!!

I routinely use the stock Loc chutes successfully in Loc rockets (including the EZI); they are sufficient in my experience. That said, there are good options for upgrades if you desire. Rocketman chutes are nice chutes; though I tend to go to Top Flight Recovery for my needs. Standard, thin mill, and Crossfire (for anticipated greater forces) are all in my fleet.

Great looking rocket, Scott!

I always flew my EZI with L1 motors and stock chute.

Don't let anyone convince you to overthink it. You already have a great plan for L1 cert, just put a reasonably high thrust H in there and you're in like Flynn!

I've flown mine dual deploy using the 36" chute that came with the kit. Works great!

I reefed the standard chute that came with it. No need to change the chute, flies and recovers great

Cool rocket!
Good luck with your L! attempt.
You might want to put a swivel on your chute; https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09B1Y2GKF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I have a few Rocketman chutes. They are well made however their delivery time is quite slow.
View attachment 531518
Thanks for the tip, Skyfire! I'm curious, do you attach swivels to all your chutes? I've got a couple 1.6" rockets (Loc RAM and LOC Black Brant X) plus the Loc Graduator in my fleet. Thanks.

I've finished my L1 project, a Loc EZI-65 (Rat Fink). Total weight without the motor is 2.83 lbs., so I'm figuring a little over 3 lbs with motor. I'm keeping my L1 attempt KISS... stock kit, motor ejection with standard chute release. The plan is for an "H" motor of some sort. My question is, has anyone flown the EZI with the standard Loc parachute, and did it give any issues? I've read reports of "swinging" from Loc parachutes. Should I upgrade the chute, and if so, to what size? I'm thinking of the Rocketman Parabolic style with 4 lines.
Thanks.
Scott
AC2FV
+1 on a well made swivel. Great paint job / decals !

Thanks for the tip, Skyfire! I'm curious, do you attach swivels to all your chutes? I've got a couple 1.6" rockets (Loc RAM and LOC Black Brant X) plus the Loc Graduator in my fleet. Thanks.
Yes, I attach swivels to all my chutes. They help keep the lines from getting tangled and the rocket from spinning. Swivels come in all different sizes for different size rockets.
Fruity Chutes attaches them to all their parachute harnesses.

Another really good tip I learned on this forum is about the chute release;
Use a 3/4" elastic band (no other size) on the release instead of the rubber band.
Rubber bands tend to stick on the chute sometimes not allowing the release to work.
Elastic band won't stick and is easily adjusted for different size chutes.
Works great!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZXT54TM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1JLCR.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks.
Scott
AC2FV

Love the paint scheme. Ed "Big Daddy" Roth was da bomb.

1660052188166.png

Yes, I attach swivels to all my chutes. They help keep the lines from getting tangled and the rocket from spinning. Swivels come in all different sizes for different size rockets.
Fruity Chutes attaches them to all their parachute harnesses.

Just wondering if you ever tried chutes without swivels?

In 20 years I've never used swivels on any chutes, except fishing snap-swivels on 12" - 24" Estes plastic chutes, and I've never had a problem with tangled shroud lines or rockets spinning under a chute. I suspect Fruity Chutes puts them on because they sell better that way, not because they are needed.

Now I always put ball bearing swivels on the fin can of all DD rockets because the fin cans can spin at high RPM between apogee and main deployment and can really twist up shock cords. Fin cans are the only thing I've found that need swivels. Just my experience.

Just wondering if you ever tried chutes without swivels?

In 20 years I've never used swivels on any chutes, except fishing snap-swivels on 12" - 24" Estes plastic chutes, and I've never had a problem with tangled shroud lines or rockets spinning under a chute. I suspect Fruity Chutes puts them on because they sell better that way, not because they are needed.

Now I always put ball bearing swivels on the fin can of all DD rockets because the fin cans can spin at high RPM between apogee and main deployment and can really twist up shock cords. Fin cans are the only thing I've found that need swivels. Just my experience.
Yeah, it may be overkill.
You are absolutely right about using them on the fin can of DD rockets.

Back