EZI-65 Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joharvey1

Reaction score
It was requested I post a picture of my current HPR build. Working on dry testing components on an EZI-65 for my L1 an L2 certs with Open Rocket. I had a few other smaller LPR kits lying around also as current projects I have not yet started. Nar Trek, Hobby Lobby clearance sale, and what not. Not pictured is a windlance glider. Will update as I have more photos. Things could go fast once I get the fins glued on. Plan to paint orange-ish metallic flake color. Probably will fly initially on an H283, and later on a J180 pending previously successful outcome. Don't know if everyone has this problem or not, but due to prevalent brush/tree issues, it is almost mandatory that I equip this rocket with a form of GPS. Initially will be single-deploy. With room to modify to duel-deploy if I so choose at a later date.

DSCF2364.JPG
ezi65-2.jpg

Last edited:
Should be a good flight on the H283, but light enough that I'd maybe look at a smaller average impulse.

J-180 ........ That's gonna go HIGH.

Single deploy with a chute release may be a great combo in there.

Should be a good flight on the H283, but light enough that I'd maybe look at a smaller average impulse.

J-180 ........ That's gonna go HIGH.

Single deploy with a chute release may be a great combo in there.
I'm the one who recommended the H283 to him. According to his OR sim, the rocket will fly about 200 feet lower with the H283 than with an H100 or H135, and the H283 will provide a higher thrust to weight ratio, which is helpful here in south Florida with our usual breezy weather.

He has a chute release, but I recommended he not use it for his L1 cert flight. Just one more thing that could go wrong, and not really needed with an apogee around 1000'.

If he later wishes to fly the EZI-65 on an L180, he'll need to add nose cone weight, and a chute release and a tracker will be highly recommended.

The rocket should look great with orange metallic flake paint!

Last edited:
I'm the one who recommended the H283 to him. According to his OR sim, the rocket will fly about 200 feet lower with the H283 than with an H100 or H135, and the H283 will provide a higher thrust to weight ratio, which is helpful here in south Florida with our usual breezy weather.
My EZI went 770 ft on a H283. It's set up for dual deploy and I did use the altimeter for deployment. Cutting the delay to -4 or -6 sec introduces a lot of uncertainty. The motor comes with a 15A delay. As is, this per NFPA can be up to +- 3 sec. (20%) If you cut it to -4 accurately, you still get the +- 3 sec which would result in a delay of 1-7 sec. Using an altimeter, even if only for apogee deployment is almost essential in this case.

My EZI went 770 ft on a H283.
What's the dry weight of your ezi? I have a partially glassed ezi with a dry weight of 2000 grams, it flies over 900' on an H283. The stock .rkt file at Rocket Reviews has the ezi at 946 grams and flying to 1735' on the H283. The OP says his ezi has a dry weight of 1865g, which sims to 1076'.

I agree with you that it would be risky to fly an HPR rocket solely on motor delay if the delay needs to be cut way down. If a 15 second delay is cut down to 4 seconds and the actual result is a 7 second delay on a rocket that flies only to 770', it may lawn dart before ejection.

What's the dry weight of your ezi? I have a partially glassed ezi with a dry weight of 2000 grams, it flies over 900' on an H283. The stock .rkt file at Rocket Reviews has the ezi at 946 grams and flying to 1735' on the H283. The OP says his ezi has a dry weight of 1865g, which sims to 1076'.
2105 grams prepped but without motor. It also went 985 ft on a H242.

It was requested I post a picture of my current HPR build. Working on dry testing components on an EZI-65 for my L1 an L2 certs with Open Rocket. I had a few other smaller LPR kits lying around also as current projects I have not yet started. Nar Trek, Hobby Lobby clearance sale, and what not. Not pictured is a windlance glider. Will update as I have more photos. Things could go fast once I get the fins glued on. Plan to paint orange-ish metallic flake color. Probably will fly initially on an H283, and later on a J180 pending previously successful outcome. Don't know if everyone has this problem or not, but due to prevalent brush/tree issues, it is almost mandatory that I equip this rocket with a form of GPS. Initially will be single-deploy. With room to modify to duel-deploy if I so choose at a later date.

View attachment 454388
View attachment 454392

It is not that hard to convert the EZI-65 to a minimum diameter rocket pretty much as-is and fly it on an M or N, however I find that the fins become "danger sensitive" and all exit the airframe at exactly the same time...

2105 grams prepped but without motor. It also went 985 ft on a H242.
My EZI sims at 1292' on the H242.

This rocket has such a great history for general flying and for L1 and L2 certification. I believe the general consensus is that stock it is great for L1 cert and is OK for L2 cert on a small J motor. Glassing and/or mods are required to fly it with more powerful Js and higher. Attached are pics about my EZI on a K535 with a $5 camera and Jason Cook's EZI on an L motor with a $50 camera.

The 20-year-old reviews of the EZI at Rocket Reviews are interesting. LOC Precision eventually made most of the upgrades suggested by Tai, such as the shock cord, longer motor, and third centering ring, see:
https://www.rocketreviews.com/locprecision-ezi-65--by-tai-fu.html and
https://www.rocketreviews.com/locprecision-ezi-65--by-john-coker.html

Attachments

• Google Earth view of both EZI flights.jpg
    Google Earth view of both EZI flights.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 20
  • both EZI-65s in flight.jpg
    both EZI-65s in flight.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Bill w EZI-65.jpg
    Bill w EZI-65.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 29
Was wondering if anyone has flown an EZI65 on a J270 and can comment on their flight results. I passed my Level 1 Certification on an H219 and also flew my EZI on an I-175 with a successful flight as well. I wanted something J-ish under 200N for my Level 2 cert flight, but my motor supplier said the closest SU motor he had was a J270. sort've wanted to wait on reloadables until after I passed my Level 2. But I'm open to options, including CTI as well. I figure since I've seen video of successful "L" EZI flights I should be alright. But don't want any fins exiting prematurely..ect.

Was wondering if anyone has flown an EZI65 on a J270 and can comment on their flight results. I passed my Level 1 Certification on an H219 and also flew my EZI on an I-175 with a successful flight as well. I wanted something J-ish under 200N for my Level 2 cert flight, but my motor supplier said the closest SU motor he had was a J270. sort've wanted to wait on reloadables until after I passed my Level 2. But I'm open to options, including CTI as well. I figure since I've seen video of successful "L" EZI flights I should be alright. But don't want any fins exiting prematurely..ect.

Can't speak to that exact combination (to date I've only flown one AT white lightning, an I284) , but I flew my unglassed Loc Fantom on a CTI J410 (total impulse 773Ns, 1.9s burn - more power than the AT J270) for my L2 cert with no problems. I'd actually modified my Fantom by giving it custom cut trapezoidal fins rather than the stock clipped deltas, so it had a very similar overall profile to an EZI. My L2 flight was dual deploy (so it had the added weight of a stock Loc Av bay). 4222'.

Thank you for the detailed reply. My OR sim had previously shown a successful flight on computer with a J270 under our typical launch conditions. It is good that I can match up a real world situation with that scenario before I fly it. I'm going to switch lauching fields to reduce the chances of my rocket coming down in a tree.

Here's some photos of my Level 1 flight. Credit to Andi @ FSA for the photos.

Attachments

• EZI-dyerpark1.jpg
    EZI-dyerpark1.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 21
  • eZI-dyerpark2.jpg
    eZI-dyerpark2.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 26
  • EZI-dyerpark3.jpg
    EZI-dyerpark3.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 27
  • EZI-dyerpark4.jpg
    EZI-dyerpark4.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 25
  • EZI-dyerpark5.jpg
    EZI-dyerpark5.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 22
  • EZI-dyerpark6.jpg
    EZI-dyerpark6.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 21
  • EZI-dyerpark7.jpg
    EZI-dyerpark7.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 20
We had a guy do his L3 with his EZI. I am sure it was glassed.

Thank you for the detailed reply. My OR sim had previously shown a successful flight on computer with a J270 under our typical launch conditions. It is good that I can match up a real world situation with that scenario before I fly it. I'm going to switch lauching fields to reduce the chances of my rocket coming down in a tree.
Not that particular rocket, but I did my L2 w/ the j270w. It's pretty tame, nice and gentle.

Back