Eye bolt attachment to nose cones

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocketcas

Reaction score
In a few midpower rockets (PML and LOC) the nose cone attachemnt to the molded tab seems weak. Ive heard of using eye bolts placed in the center of the cone.

Any comments on how this works and what is the best way to complete the installation?

Thanks,

James

Mollies (expanding metal anchors designed for use on sheetrock) work well and are easy to install. The key is to expand the surface area that the recovery system puts the load on.

-Kevin

I've had good success cutting a small area from the cones shoulder near the base, which allows you to slip a nut and washer on the eyebolt inside the cone.

On any kit I've built, that's 2.5" in diameter or larger, I prefer to extend the nosecone and use a U-bolt...

You'll need a short piece of airframe tube, a coupler tube, and a bulkhead. Drill two holes in the bulkhead to install the U-bolt. Once it's in place, glue the bulkhead to one end of the coupler tube... then glue the coupler/bulkhead halfway up into the airframe tube. The nosecone goes on the other end.

I've used this on everything I've designed myself, including my 7.5-inch L3 rocket. Works wonderfully. :D

If you never want to loose your nose cone, cut the bottom off the nose cone shoulder and epoxy a length of Kevlar into the bottom and the side, either one end secured in or as a loop.

talkin monkey,

Did that method work for you successfully on your pit bull? I am working on a 4" LOC Fantom at the moment and am looking at different ways becuase the eyelit on the cone is a little thin for my liking. :)

Matt

talkin monkey,

Did that method work for you successfully on your pit bull? I am working on a 4" LOC Fantom at the moment and am looking at different ways becuase the eyelit on the cone is a little thin for my liking. :)

Matt

Matt,

I'll find out Saturday at NSL.

I used a uni-bit to drill the hole (7/8" ish)...The hard part was getting the nut started on top of the lock washer, I ended up wrapping tape around my finger (sticky side out), stuck the nut to the taped finger and then threaded the eyebolt in. Just make sure you line up the hole in the shoulder so you can get at the nut with a wrench to hawg down the eyebolt.

As far as predicted reliability is concerned, I would expect a knot or sewn loop failure loooong before actually yanking the shoulder off the nose cone.

Kinda heavy and over built, but that's just how I roll...:rolleyes:

Scott

When I repaired my King Kraken from a nastie zipper the other day one of the other things I had to fix was the eyebolt that I used on the nosecone.I should have put a hole in the side to use a nut and lock washer but instead I epoxied it into the hole that I screwed it through that only lasted two flight, well one flight its second end in the epoxy giving way and blowing the cone right off.So what I did was cut the base of the cone right off sanded the inside of the base of the cone with heavy grit sandpaper and sanded down a Loc bulkhead to fit then epoxied that in side and tied the shockcord to the bulkheads eyebolt I think that should hold pretty good.

talkin monkey,

Matt

I used that exact same method on my Fantom. It has held up just fine, even with a Garmin Rino foamed into the nosecone.

Ken

I used that exact same method on my Fantom. It has held up just fine, even with a Garmin Rino foamed into the nosecone.

Ken -- how did that Garmin Rino work out? I have three of those and was thinking of trying to use them for tracking. Do you have any photos of how you secured it in place?

I also like to cut the bottom off the cone and epoxy a bulkhead in there. I've also taken to drilling a hole for a pill bottle and putting that in there to hold my Beeline transmitter. Works very well for me and holds up well.

Back