Extreme Wildman

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmt56

Reaction score
Small rail buttons or large?
Build weight dry should be about 17 lbs. with one pound of that being a GPS unit in the nose cone.
Pad weight with a M1315 about 29.5 lbs.
I was planning on using small buttons but now i am thinking large.

I fly a 16 pound rocket that uses small buttons: no problem.

Just fasten them well (whichever size you use).

Larry,

I used the small buttons on mine for my L3 last AIRFest. Mine was around 31lbs. loaded on the pad.

Eric

The small buttons can work just fine. The issue is the pad. Not all pads with 1010 rail for the small buttons are stout enough to handle the weight and power of L3 rockets.

Where we launch, the 1010 pads are only used for up to K motors and 20 lbs. Anything bigger goes on the larger pads with 1515 rails or the trailer with 1515 or Unistrut.

Check with your local club. I would recommend you set it up so you can put either size on.

I fly the small size on 4inch M rockets . They are rated to 70 lbs. I let the diameter dictate the button size more so than weight.
On tall large diam. I go to the 1515. Usually 30-35lbs and 6in. diam. is where I switch.
I have flown my 6in Ultimate Endeavor on small buttons where there were no larger rails several times without any drama.

Actually there are 2 sizes of 1010 buttons. Normal and small or streamlined.

The normal ones will ALSO work in 1515 rails. I fly mine in them all the time.

Next time your at a launch take a button out to the 1515 and check it out.

Especially if like most clubs that don't clean their rails. You will get a better, less binding fit by using the 1010 buttons in the 1515 rail.

This will NOT work on BlackSky rails.

I fly the small size on 4inch M rockets . They are rated to 70 lbs. I let the diameter dictate the button size more so than weight.
On tall large diam. I go to the 1515. Usually 30-35lbs and 6in. diam. is where I switch.
I have flown my 6in Ultimate Endeavor on small buttons where there were no larger rails several times without any drama.

Actually there are 2 sizes of 1010 buttons. Normal and small or streamlined.

The normal ones will ALSO work in 1515 rails. I fly mine in them all the time.

Next time your at a launch take a button out to the 1515 and check it out.

Especially if like most clubs that don't clean their rails. You will get a better, less binding fit by using the 1010 buttons in the 1515 rail.

This will NOT work on BlackSky rails.
Thanks all for the info.
Looks like I will go with the small buttons with provisions in place to be able to install large buttons later if necessary.
Jim I test fix some small buttons on a 1515 rail I had on hand.
Looks like you are correct on that. Thanks for the info
On the subject of dirty rails I think we will see more of that.
One reason will be more and more fliers flying SkidMark motors.
They dirty up a rail in short order.
I have a 1010 rail that I have flown quite a few flights off of.
It looked good as new until I flew a SkidMark off it.
Very hard to clean.

I'd go with the extreme buttons, Yes standard will work but you'll end up replacing them more often, Dirty rails wear out your buttons fast! Personally I feel much better with the extreme button on my Extreme Wildman, More secure on the rail with wind rocking it and they last longer ta boot? Whats the sense in putting standard buttons on just cause you can?

ExtremeWildman.jpg

I'd go with the extreme buttons, Yes standard will work but you'll end up replacing them more often, Dirty rails wear out your buttons fast! Personally I feel much better with the extreme button on my Extreme Wildman, More secure on the rail with wind rocking it and they last longer ta boot? Whats the sense in putting standard buttons on just cause you can?

View attachment 16290
GaryT
What do you mean by " Whats the sense in putting standard buttons just cause you can? "
At this point in the build I can install either and or both.
So far it looks like five for small buttons, one for large.
I figured this one was on the boderline.
The reason I asked the question.

What I meant by sense was whats the benefit? As I said yes they will work fine but for me personally I'd feel much more comfortable with the extreme buttons, The standard button offer no benefits while the extreme buttons do, Especially with an M1315W.

But to each his own, This is just what I! did and why, The others will use the standard buttons and thats fine as well.

Last edited:
Funny Extreme Wildman story.
Yesterday I got an email from the head of the Physics and Astronomy Department at the local college. She was asking if I could help her put a rocket together for a local launch this weekend. She wants to become certified. I said no problem and asked what rocket she had she said it was a Wildman kit. I asked which one and she said she did not know but it was 3" diameter and about 6' tall. I looked it up on the wildmans page a figured it was the dual deploy Wildman. She shows up this morning and we go to un-boxing it..sorry no 'un-boxing photos'..and I pull out a 3" tube and then a couple of 4" tubes. It turns out that it is and Extreme Wildman with a 3" motor tube. I explain to her that this is not going to work so well in getting your L1. I had enough parts laying around that she's now build a 2.6" dia 3 fins and a nose cone rocket with a 38mm mount. She's coming back tomorrow to finish it up.

Tony

LOL I think in this instance he wont miss the the 10 feet in his altitude.

Is that from a sim, flight testing, or just a swag? The impact of parasitic drag from large buttons vs. small buttons vs. no buttons are significant when you start flying for performance. And you did say no benefits, and lower drag is a benefit, however small a difference.:)

Mike

Is that from a sim, flight testing, or just a swag? The impact of parasitic drag from large buttons vs. small buttons vs. no buttons are significant when you start flying for performance. And you did say no benefits, and lower drag is a benefit, however small a difference.:)

Mike

Mike:
Naa no Data backing the statement other than experience, Now I wouldn't! have said the same if the flier was going for an altitude or Mach record as those are the instances where it would have made a difference, But like I said in this case? I'd still choose the extreme buttons. :D

Back