Extreme Rocketry refuses to do business with me

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocketman248

Reaction score
A few weeks ago, I ordered the LDRS22 DVD from Extreme Rocketry. After a week and a half, they had still not processed the order. I had to make some unexpected payments so I had to cancel the order. I sent them an email that said:

"I ordered the LDRS 22 DVD over a week ago and you still have not charged my credit card. Please cancel my order."

I recieved an email apologizing for the mix up. They cancelled the order with no problem. I thought they handled it very well. So yesterday, I reordered it and apologized for sounding harsh when I cancelled the order. I recieved this email today:

nick,
yes, you were very harsh with us and as a result you were added to a list we
no longer do business with. please take you business elsewhere.
--
Brent McNeely
Customer Service
-Extreme Rocketry
3020 Bryant Ave.
Las Vegas, NV 89102
Ph: 702.233.8222
Fx: 702.877.1211

I don't think this was a very good way to answer a sincere apology. Needless to say, I will definitely take my business elsewhere.:mad:

Wow - you should tell them that you will indeed take your business elsewhere, and maybe that of your friends on the rocketry forum...

If it's worth your time...you should call the owner...explain the situation...send him your emails...Often the right hand is unaware of how the left hand handles the customers...Without customers he may be open to listening...you never know unless you try...

I'm certainly interested in how he handles it...Good luck...!!!

I'm under the impression that Brent pretty much is Extreme Rocketry. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Weird. That doesn't really sound harsh to me. I've never heard of a list like this...

Nick , I don't currently suscribe to that mag but
If you feel that ,they have the wrong opinion of you....
Don't worry too much about it,,,It's easy to get the wrong impression from an email sometimes

Brent probably gets alot of email,and may have jumped the gun with his reply,,From as long as I have known you (from this forum atleast)
I know you to be an all around good guy!

Do you folks remember "Rob" from a few months ago. Was *he* harsh in regard to FlisKits?

Doesn't matter, we would still do business with him.

I couldn't imaging having a *black list*. We're here to promote the hobby. If we make friends along the way that is a bonus but I don't expect that I'm going to "get along" with everyone I would hope to do business with.

If a customer is harsh with us we will fill out their order as quickly and with as much care and the same customer service as any other customer.

Now, we *may* omit the smilely face in our coorispondance, but... :)

I don't see that Nick was "harsh" and frankly I don't beleive it matters. This is a business, not a fan club.

and I will acknowlege that the reverse is *not* true. FlisKits would *never* be harsh with a customer. It simply is not good business.

Putting on conspiracy hat here, but seems to me he may have completely avoided a potentially sad issue. Why didn't they send the DVD in the first place? Could they be having problems too and dont want to admit it? Think about it... not only do they need to NOT send you the DVD, but they also have you focused on a completely different direction. Now taking off the conspiracy hat. :)

[my 2p]
Following on from what Jim said; I work in retail, and if a customer seems to be a little 'harsh', you just have to bite your tounge, and treat them like any other customer. They're money is just as good as anybody elses. Often there is a reason for the 'harshness' - eg. had a bad day, glued a fin on backwards, just got a parking ticket, hungover etc. Often treating the customer cheerfully can cheer them up, for which they are normally greatful (*kaa-ching* - repeat custom very likely! :D ). The reverse is certainly true. If I'm in a grumpy mood, a chearful cutomer can work wonders.

Being a High Street shop, its inevitable that we have to keep a blacklist of 'banned persons', mostly shoplifters and dirty old men who can't keep themselves under control when being served by a female member of staff (it frightning how many there are of them! :eek: ). We would never dream of refusing somebody for being 'harsh', unless they are repeatedly abusive over a period of time.
[/my 2p]

Talk about "HARSH"

I work with theater people (or is it theatre? :D )

Try being reasonable with a drama teacher or stage manager the day of a big production and the lights don't work!

When they are upset they give new meaning to the word "Drama"!

They are usually happier when I'm finished...I'm GOOD!

sandman

Originally posted by sandman
Try being reasonable with a drama teacher or stage manager the day of a big production and the lights don't work!

When they are upset they give new meaning to the word "Drama"!
Been there Sandman. One of my other hobbies is Amature Dramatics. When I'm not actually treading the boards, themselves, I put my technical knowledge to good use helping with the lights.

I've been up a HUGE ladder, changing a hot bulb in a Profile; 10 mins before curtain-up, with the Front of House people on my back 'cos the audience are getting impatient waiting in the foyer. The Stage Manager & Director on my back for the obviouse reasons. PLUS the Make-Up and Costume people on my case 'cos I was in the play, in full costume & fully made-up, and they were woried I might get dirty/smudge. (The 13yr old chap who actually pressed the 'go' button on the lighting desk, was not insured to go up the ladder btw).

That was 'HARSH'! :) - Certainly boosted my Adrenaline, I gave a cracking performance that night! :D

(IMHO ;) )

Originally posted by KenParker
There's an old saying:

"The customer is *always* right."

'nuf said.

Sure...looks good on paper. I was in car sales for over 3 years. try a year selling cars and see how ya feel! LOL

I would wager he was confusing you with another customer who was being downright abusive. I just can't imagine anyone reacting that way in response to your statement.

For some reason, he sent me the same email again today. I'm just going to ignore him if he sends anything else. He has lost a customer for good.

So we have some other drama buffs here!:) I've been doing the sound for the plays and musicals at my old high school for a couple of years now. I also do lights on occasion. You wanna see a stressed director, you should have seen our director when we lost power in the middle of a show. :eek: It was interesting, because powere was still going into the building, but the main grid got knocked out. The security lights are on a seperate circuit, so we plugged the spotlights into that circuit. We also ran power down to the orchestra pit for the music stand lights. I've also had to run backstage with batteries for the body mics. In the middle of the scene! :eek:

I just sent an email to Brent.

"After reading the feedback of a would-be but no longer possible customer of yours on https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=5417, please add me to the same "black list" as that guy. Assuming that his story is correct, that is the worst story of customer service I've ever heard. I never really wanted to do business with you before, but now hope that NO ONE ever wants to do business with you again.

God Bless and Merry Christmas,

Simon Crafts"

Good luck!

Originally posted by Fore Check
I just sent an email to Brent.

please add me to the same "black list" as that guy.

Please tell us if you get a responce to that email...... I would love to hear it.......

Maybe we should send a letter (email) from the forum as a whole. We do a great job of letting vendors know when they are providing great service and products, I don't see why the opposite shouldn't be true. Constructive critism and positive reinforcement are the keys to improving. I think it should be handled professionally, as this particular issue may turn out to be just a missunderstanding or miss identification. Although one has to wonder why any vendor would send an email as described and admit to blacklisting customers.

Just my thoughts.

thats a good idea, I will gladly send an email. First of all, he was wrong in not charging you and sending your merchandise. Your letter was not harsh, just stated what needed to be said. I think he was wrong in putting you on the "black list"

On a side note, why would any buisness man, in his right mind, not sell something to you. Isnt the point of being that buisness man to sell things and make a profit? At least thats what I have always believed. I think this just shows an arrogance, his email even seemed arrogant, portraying the message; "we are to good to do buisness with you"

have fun picking and choosing your customers, as your company fails. I will never buy from them.

We would like to inform our members that any letters sent representing TRF should be handled by the Admins and Moderators of the forum, rather than it's members. We do continue to appreciate your patronage and participation in the best forum on the web, The Rocketry Forum.

Thank you,

The TRF Staff

Carl,

Absolutely!! I didn't mean to come across otherwise. It's definately a decision for the TRF admin and moderators. I was only suggesting rather than having alot of folks send harsh emails, that maybe it should be done professionally with all the facts. We don't need to loose any more rocketry vendors. I'm sorry if my post caused any unnecessary stress!!

Originally posted by KenParker
There's an old saying:

"The customer is *always* right."

'nuf said.
I have another version: "The customer is not always right, but they are always the customer". ;)

Think about it...

Originally posted by bsexton
I have another version: "The customer is not always right, but they are always the customer". ;)

Think about it...

Um-hmm.... unless they decide to NOT be your customer any more - which is always *their* option. They don't have to be *your* customer. They can be someone else's customer.

I'll stay with the original. I put myself through my first 4 years of college working at Kroger's. Never mattered how I felt or what I thought or what I wanted. It *always* mattered what the customer felt and thought and wanted. I *saw* guys get fired for treating a customer bad - even though the customer had been an a-hole to them first.

Some people, are just not cut out to be sales persons.Try working a motorcycle parts counter,with people three deep at christmas(now i know where, all my hair went)...I didn't make the grade,couldn't keep smiling !...I do enjoy the ldr22 dvd that just came from them,them are BIG rockets and the back issues of extream rocketry will take some time to go through..doxie.

I don't know if this would be considered "on topic" or "off topic", but it may help releive some of the *stress* of this topic :)

we've ALL had bad experiences as "customers". What was *yours*?

I have several, but my worst from a customer service point of view was at WalMart...

I had gone to the resturaunt and ordered a hot dog and a stuffed baked potato, *to go*...

she rings it up then about 4 min later she passes me a plate with a hot dog on it and a baked potato stuffed with brocolli and cheese. Looked delish, but it was on a plate...

Took me a good 3-4 minutes to get her attention and told her "I ordered this *to go*"

She then hands me a paper bag in a huff...

I'm looking at the gooey potato, then the bag, then I give my wife one of my classic "i've had it looks" (man I hate stupid people LOL)

So I call to her again and ask her what I'm supposed to do with *this* (holding up the bag)

She snaps back at me, "son, you'll have to take care of it yourself, I have *customers* here"...

that was it. I stopped the next person i saw and said "I need to see the manager"

She looked surprised, but said "ok" and went out back. Shortly after this guy in a tie walks up to me and says "i'm the manager, can I help you?" (mind you, i've had it up to *here* already...), so I asked "are you the kitchen manager?, and he said "yes",. so I said, " yea, you can help me. I'd like to speak to your manager"...

Few minutes later I'm talking to the *store* manager. I related my story to him (all the staff is watching at this point) and told him of her comment about how she "has customers to wait on". So I told him that by that statement I can conclude that I am a "customer of walmart" until such time as they have my money and then I am "not a customer of walmart".

Then I handed him my plate of food and said "If i'm not a customer of walmart, then I don't need your goods" and left.

Needless to say, there was a *lot* of commotion behind the counter as Kathy and I walked out.

I would hope that we've got his attention now...
I suggest that you give him a little time to digest the fact that he has a potentially serious problem here....
I'm all for right over wrong, don't rush into war.

just my dollar-two-ninetyeight LOL

Back