Explorer by VRS has released our new elliptical parachutes!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valkyrie Recovery Systems

TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
Rocket enthusiasts, take your rockets to the next level with the Strato-Explorer Elliptical Parachute! Engineered for optimal performance, these parachutes range from 3 to 40 feet, catering to rockets of various sizes. The striking orange and white design ensures high visibility during descent, while the durable Spectra lines guarantee a safe and controlled landing. With a drag coefficient of 1.6, experience unparalleled performance at a very affordable price. Now available at a special $10 discount for our initial release, this is your chance to upgrade your rocket recovery system with the best in the market. Limited stock available while we continue building more - don't miss out on this opportunity to enhance your rocketry experience. For more details and to purchase, visit https://www.valkyrierecoverysystems.com/store/p5/Strato-Explorer_Elliptical.html . Elevate your hobby with Strato-Explorer and soar above the competition!

Attachments

• IMG_20231115_161824~3.jpg
    IMG_20231115_161824~3.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 1
Are the measurements taken over the top of the canopy or across the actual opening?
The measurements are taken at the widest point of the canopy, which is just above the opening. I have attached a screenshot of part of the drawings for the 6ft that can help visualize the shape and construction.

Ashleigh
Office Manager

Attachments

• 6ft drawing.JPG
    6ft drawing.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 0
Rocket enthusiasts, take your rockets to the next level with the Strato-Explorer Elliptical Parachute! Engineered for optimal performance, these parachutes range from 3 to 40 feet, catering to rockets of various sizes. The striking orange and white design ensures high visibility during descent, while the durable Spectra lines guarantee a safe and controlled landing. With a drag coefficient of 1.6, experience unparalleled performance at a very affordable price. Now available at a special $10 discount for our initial release, this is your chance to upgrade your rocket recovery system with the best in the market. Limited stock available while we continue building more - don't miss out on this opportunity to enhance your rocketry experience. For more details and to purchase, visit https://www.valkyrierecoverysystems.com/store/p5/Strato-Explorer_Elliptical.html . Elevate your hobby with Strato-Explorer and soar above the competition!
Can you share descent rates please of the sizes offered?

What is the max weight you would advise for your largest 24" drogue please?

Thanks!

Can you share descent rates please of the sizes offered?

What is the max weight you would advise for your largest 24" drogue please?

Thanks!
I have attached the weight vs descent graphs, but you can also find them under the pictures on the item's page. If you have any questions about the graphs, please let us know.

The maximum weight for the 24" drogue is limited more to the descent speed desired. The max recommended is 70lbs which will give a rate of descent roughly at 150 ft/sec. The attached graph goes up to ~30lbs and 100 ft/sec. We can certainly make larger sizes if the demand is there, but most request so far are for <24" diameter.

I hope that answers your questions, if you have anymore please ask.
Thank you,
Ben
CEO

Attachments

• 3-5 ft strato.png
    3-5 ft strato.png
    69.8 KB · Views: 0
  • SE eliptical 8-16.png
    SE eliptical 8-16.png
    93.1 KB · Views: 0
  • se elliptical 20-40.png
    se elliptical 20-40.png
    66.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Explorer drogue.png
    Explorer drogue.png
    56.4 KB · Views: 0
Hi Ben, good to see you back into the hobby rocketry market.

What are the packed volumes of these parachutes?
Pack volume is mainly based on the packer's skill and desired density. Most individuals can hand pack/ loose pack in a "burrito roll" at a density of 0.18-0.30 oz/in^3. Attached you'll find the Strato-Explorer's spec sheet with the estimated weights. If you divide those weights (in ounces) by your pack density you will get the total volume needed. I would start with pack densities around 0.20 oz/in^3 and include the weight of shock cords, protective wraps/ deployment bag, pilot chute, etc. to get a total volume needed for the entire recovery compartment.

Let me know if you have any further questions.
Thank you,
Ben
CEO

Attachments

• specs.JPG
    specs.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 0
If we are interested in the larger chutes (20+ ft), will these be available on the website at some point or should we contact you for them to be made-to-order?

If we are interested in the larger chutes (20+ ft), will these be available on the website at some point or should we contact you for them to be made-to-order?
We just added a stock of 1 in the larger sizes as a place holder so that they can be ordered, but they can take up to 2 weeks to ship.

Thank you for the interest, and if you have any more questions, please let us know.
Ben
CEO

Hopefully constructive criticism: IMHO you should get rid of the computer renders of the chutes and substitute actual photos of some of the smaller sizes. And on the web site the descent rate graphs are very hard to read, at least on my computer.

Hopefully constructive criticism: IMHO you should get rid of the computer renders of the chutes and substitute actual photos of some of the smaller sizes. And on the web site the descent rate graphs are very hard to read, at least on my computer.
Thank you for letting us know the problems.

We will get actual pictures of the smaller chutes up as soon as we get a chance to throw them from high places (hopefully before the end of this week).

We just added the graphs in larger size to the bottom of the product pages. Please let us know if this is easier to read.

Thank you,
Ashleigh
Office Manager

We tried to get some pictures today...not the best quality but we will keep trying to get better shots.

Attachments

• 5ft strato far.JPG
    5ft strato far.JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 5ft strato looking up.JPG
    5ft strato looking up.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 5 ft strato.JPG
    5 ft strato.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 0
I have 5" Jayhawk nearing completion, should be between right at 17 lbs no motor. Leaning towards your 8' chute and 18" drogue, that sound about right to you?

Thanks!
j.JPG

I have 5" Jayhawk nearing completion, should be between right at 17 lbs no motor. Leaning towards your 8' chute and 18" drogue, that sound about right to you?

Thanks!
View attachment 621940
Justin,

That is a beautiful construction and we would love to help bring it back to earth safely.

Depending on what size field you are flying at and what altitude you are flying to, I would recommend either a 5ft, 6ft, 7ft or 8ft for the main and 18" drogue. The 5ft will give around 22 ft/sec, 6ft around 18.3 ft/sec, 7ft around 15.7 ft/sec, and 8ft would give around 13.7 ft/sec.

The drogue will be around 100 ft/sec.

These rates of descent are likely on the upper end of speed, because the calculations do not take into account the drag from the rocket, shock cords, chute protectors, etc. But I would recommend choosing sizes based on filed size, expected wind, apogee altitude, and then the deployment altitude of the main.

If you have any more questions or need recommendations based on field size and deployment altitude, we are more than happy to help.

Thank you for the question,
Ben Graybeal
CEO

Justin,

That is a beautiful construction and we would love to help bring it back to earth safely.

Depending on what size field you are flying at and what altitude you are flying to, I would recommend either a 5ft, 6ft, 7ft or 8ft for the main and 18" drogue. The 5ft will give around 22 ft/sec, 6ft around 18.3 ft/sec, 7ft around 15.7 ft/sec, and 8ft would give around 13.7 ft/sec.

These rates of descent are likely on the upper end of speed, because the calculations do not take into account the drag from the rocket, shock cords, chute protectors, etc. But I would recommend choosing sizes based on filed size, expected wind, apogee altitude, and then the deployment altitude of the main.

If you have any more questions or need recommendations based on field size and deployment altitude, we are more than happy to help.

Ben Graybeal
CEO
Thanks Ben! Please give me a heads up once the drogues are available on your website and I'll place an order.

Best,

Justin,

Ben Graybeal
CEO
Got an order in for a chute and a drogue, looking forward to trying these out.
oi.JPG

Justin,

Ben Graybeal
CEO
Ben,

The 8' did great today. :)
DSC_6899.JPGDSC_6911.JPGDSC_6917.JPGDSC_6934.JPGDSC_6939.JPG

Latest posts

Back