Exploding Rocket Motors. E9 motor malfunction (video)

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by mbecks, Dec 20, 2016.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Dec 26, 2016 #61

dhbarr

dhbarr

dhbarr

Amateur Professional

It's a worthy consideration to all of us.... What is The Worst Case?

2. Dec 27, 2016 #62

bill_s

bill_s

bill_s

I had a CATO on one of the 01 12 16 's recently and Estes sent me more of the same date code as replacement! So I did 2 tests fires and sure enough another from the same pack blew, but the ones from Estes were fine (tested one, flew one). That's 2 packs in a row bad from Hobby Lobby, I'm done with that. The F15's are still good and I flew possibly 50 of the E9s before the first problem.

Aerotech reloads are not a substitute (although the Starters do make the E9s a little more like trying to light SU composites). I can fly a whole pack of E9s in the amount of time it takes to build and clean a 24/40. Great motors but I never once flew an E reload, to be worth the trouble you gotta go F's.

3. Dec 27, 2016 #63

tab28682

tab28682

tab28682

There is a reason the safety distance is set at 30 feet.

4. Dec 27, 2016 #64

mbecks

mbecks

mbecks

I now get it.

5. Dec 28, 2016 #65

Skp

Skp

Skp

Daddyisabar is referring to my rocket. It did have the 01 12 16 date code. It also has the A on the case, however I did not know that was part of the date code. Does anyone know what the letter is for?

Daddy had warned me about that date code, so I chose a model that was replaceable and not difficult to put together. Estes customer service is second to none. I informed Christine of the event and told her that I did not want them to have to pay to ship Hazmat and that I was leery of shipping the motors during the cold season, so I requested a V2 kit as a substitution for the motors. She immediately place the order for me of a Magician and a V2.

I am a strong supporter of following safety measures and making informed choices regarding risks, but the possibility that it may all go KABAOOM makes this hobby more interesting. I followed Daddyisabar's A10-3T flight with one of my own. It went flawlessly.

The day as a whole cost me 3 rockets. The Magician, An ACME Spitfire(Shock Cord Burn Through) and an ASP 18mm V-2(Experimental rear ejection experiment where the balsa boattail failed under pressure of trying to eject the full length of an 18mm motor and mount).

6. Dec 28, 2016 #66

shreadvector

shreadvector

shreadvector

Years ago when the extra letter appeared I asked and was told it identified the casing manufacturer. They were trying more than one supplier - possibly associated with the E15 problems.

I think they may all be "A" these days.

7. Dec 29, 2016 #67

eljefe

eljefe

eljefe

You're depressing me. I recently ordered four packs of E9 and E12 motors and every one of them falls under these date codes. At least my C11s are different.

8. Dec 29, 2016 #68

Nytrunner

Nytrunner

Nytrunner

Master of Rivets

I'm just gonna go ahead and screenshot that list real quick.

I want to throw an E9 in the Falcon9 with the chute release, and Reeeealy don't want to blow up that piece of tech.

9. Jan 17, 2017 #69

BEC

BEC

BEC

*sigh*. I had an E9-4 blow yesterday on the maiden launch of my Mega Mosquito. Its date is 08 18 11 (listed as a bad day for E12s above). I bought a pack at Hobby Lobby today. Should've looked at this thread first. 01 12 16. *sigh*

Yes, I've filed a MESS report and sent info to Estes including a great picture (which was posted by the photographer on the NAR Facebook page today).

I've had one other E9 blow - a six second delay - in October of 2015. It was 6 28 11. I've flown quite a few E12s including one yesterday (6 22 12) - with no issues. I've also never had a problem (or seen one) with the 29mm E16s and F15s.

Nytrunner: the October 2015 E9-6 CATO was on my Vagabond, which had a beta Chute Release in it and a Möbius Action Cam taped to the outside. Both survived just fine.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017