Expandable Urethane Foam

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a good point about the retainer. if you use the bulkhead type, then you'll need the cr to mount it to. I used the other type that just gets jb welded to the mmt.

Using the dremel to remove the foam is a great tip! I did it with an exacto knife and it took forever! that was partially why I gave up and just filled the void with epoxy.

Only downside to 'routing' out the foam with the dremel is it makes a mess... little particles of foam go everywhere!!! It's fast, but not tidy! ;)

R

Around the motor mount, I put my epoxy reinforcement in using a syringe and long needle that I buy in quantity at the vet supply. I will sometimes then install my last centering ring, with holes in it that are big enough that the straw from "Great Stuff" Expanding foam can get to the front centering ring. Then I give a little squirt of foam and let it expand. If it does not come out the hole than I give a little more. If the last centering ring was not glued in, it is now.

I use the two part foam from US Composites. I use it primarily for nose cones to lock in nose weight

Bob
TRA6797

I am new to the foaming of the nosecones. I went and grabbed a can of Great Stuff ( the black can). I am thinking about adding the 8 oz of BBs first and then pour the epoxy into the nosecone while the nosecone is sitting upside down in a pot of water. Once the epoxy cures, I am planning on opening the foam and spraying it on top of the epoxy. I hope that my plan works.

I am new to the foaming of the nosecones. I went and grabbed a can of Great Stuff ( the black can). I am thinking about adding the 8 oz of BBs first and then pour the epoxy into the nosecone while the nosecone is sitting upside down in a pot of water. Once the epoxy cures, I am planning on opening the foam and spraying it on top of the epoxy. I hope that my plan works.

um, the buoyancy of the NC may give you problems. Maybe not I just stand them in a coupler or smaller tube, point down. With the can stuff go slow and shoot small amounts so you do not end up with Baked Alaska(crunchy outside, creamy inside)

My the force be with you!

Foamed my first fin can tonight on my I-Roc. I used the PML product, neat stuff. Doesn't really add much weight, but the way it expands and adheres it has to be adding a lot of strength.

Foamed my first fin can tonight on my I-Roc. I used the PML product, neat stuff. Doesn't really add much weight, but the way it expands and adheres it has to be adding a lot of strength.

Oh Yes, by 07oo tomorrow morning when 12 hours have passed that will be a solid unit. If it is in that fin can it ain't ever moving again.

Latest posts

Back