Exempt Rocket motors Defined

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The question I am having is why wont Tripoli allow Loki to sell a research motor that is going to be flown by a university team at a research launch like BALLS? There's so many EX motors that are not certified there anyway that I don't see how this could be a safety or insurance issue.
First, Tripoli must comply with NFPA 1127.
NFPA 1127 prohibits the sale of non-certified rocket motors.
Tripoli Research motors, non-certified motors which are made for one’s own use, are allowed by an exception in NFPA 1127 and by the scope of NFPA 1125 .

Second, commercial rocket manufacturers must comply with NFPA 1125. NFPA 1125 requires testing (certification) of all motors except those made by the military or made by individuals for their own use.

Expanding what I have is selling & profiting from everything I am capable of doing and allowed to do by the law and the NFPA codes. My major limits are the TRA codes first, and the NFPA code a further second.

I can arguably make a safer and thus far more reliable ex motor than 98% or more of the people making motors I probably know. The other 2% like Mike Fisher would probably enjoy being able to sell Exempt motors and "under development" Demonstration motors if he got a DOT EX#. Then he could find out what works well, what sells best, and make enough profits to certify some motors and start getting dealers. I KNOW DeMar would just LOVE to sell some 8" reloads to a college.

When people say "no bodies getting rich selling rocket motors". Well just remember who's driving what. I drive a 23 year old truck with cracked paint and sheets of clearcoat missing, about 335k miles I think, and it's not running well. Wife's little 2013 4banger has about 110k, but they are paid for. Our 40year old building is not however. One persons "not getting rich" job is anothers God sent gift from above that changes their whole life. That includes our just above food stamp paying salary.

"Expand your dealer base and just sell more certified motors."
Know one, no one but perhaps Gary at AT has any idea or can really relate to what goes on in a husband and wife APCP motor business in 2022/23. Ive been doing this for 10 years now and the profits are not there in all that time. There has been too much change for a small company to keep up with.

Now that the University and industry push is going nuts, I being sheilded by confusion and distraction from being able to acess it now. If I could, it would grow this company the way our customers want to see it grow with reloads that are in stock and new certified products to choose from.

Expanding what I have is selling & profiting from everything I am capable of doing and allowed to do by the law and the NFPA codes. My major limits are the TRA codes first, and the NFPA code a further second.

I can arguably make a safer and thus far more reliable ex motor than 98% or more of the people making motors I probably know. The other 2% like Mike Fisher would probably enjoy being able to sell Exempt motors and "under development" Demonstration motors if he got a DOT EX#. Then he could find out what works well, what sells best, and make enough profits to certify some motors and start getting dealers. I KNOW DeMar would just LOVE to sell some 8" reloads to a college.

When people say "no bodies getting rich selling rocket motors". Well just remember who's driving what. I drive a 23 year old truck with cracked paint and sheets of clearcoat missing, about 335k miles I think, and it's not running well. Wife's little 2013 4banger has about 110k, but they are paid for. Our 40year old building is not however. One persons "not getting rich" job is anothers God sent gift from above that changes their whole life. That includes our just above food stamp paying salary.

Know one, no one but perhaps Gary at AT has any idea or can really relate to what goes on in a husband and wife APCP motor business in 2022/23. Ive been doing this for 10 years now and the profits are not there in all that time. There has been too much change for a small company to keep up with.

Now that the University and industry push is going nuts, I being sheilded by confusion and distraction from being able to acess it now. If I could, it would grow this company the way our customers want to see it grow with reloads that are in stock and new certified products to choose from.
Scott, Why don’t you just offer colleges parts and pre fabricated grains. Sell testing services, classes and call it a day. You could make lots of money doing this without fighting over regulations.

First, Tripoli must comply with NFPA 1127.
NFPA 1127 prohibits the sale of non-certified rocket motors.
And NFPA 1127 exempts certain entities from its code, like Loki Research, but you have not acknowledge this. if you did, you would be in compliance with 1127.

Tripoli Research motors, non-certified motors which are made for one’s own use, are allowed by an exception in NFPA 1127 and by the scope of NFPA 1125 .
You have verbally told me that the TRA Research user exemption is based on the wording in 1127 6.1(5).
Show me the the specific part of NFPA 6.1(5) that changed between the 2002 code version when research motors were banned, and the 2022 version or prior when they became allowed. The wording is identical in every 1127 version I have found from 2002 until 2022.

1127 - 6.1(5) Making, operating, launching, flying, testing, activating,
discharging, or otherwise experimenting with high power
rocket motors, motor reloading kits, or pyrotechnic modules
that have not been certified in accordance with
NFPA1125, Code for the Manufacture of Model Rocket and High
Power Rocket Motors, other than for the purpose of evaluation
of new high power rocket motor technology by a recognized
national user organization or an authority having
jurisdiction, provided that all other requirements of this
code are met and all activities are in accordance with applicable
laws, regulations, and ordinances.

If a member of a National User Organization is exempt from 1127 - 1.2.3(2), 1.2.3(3), 6.1(3), 6.1(4), 6.1(5) & 6.1(8) then why is that group NOT listed in the exemptions of 1127 1.3.3?

1.3.3 This code shall not apply to the design, construction,
production, manufacture, fabrication, maintenance, launch,
flight, test, operation, use, or other activity connected with a
rocket or rocket motor where carried out or engaged in by the
following entities:
(1) National, state, or local government
(2) An individual, a firm, a partnership, a joint venture, a
corporation, or other business entity engaged as a licensed
business
in the research, development, production,
testing, maintenance, or supply of rockets, rocket
motors, rocket propellant chemicals, or rocket components
or parts
(3) College or university

Individuals not engaged in business do not apply here. Site me the code where they are allowed and how it changed from previous versions. If you can do that, I'll appologize to you and admit that there was a change in 1127 that I was not aware of.

Second, commercial rocket manufacturers must comply with NFPA 1125. NFPA 1125 requires testing (certification) of all motors except those made by the military or made by individuals for their own use.
For high power motors: (from 1125)
8.2.3 High-power rocket motors, motor-reloading kits, and components offered for sale, exposed for sale, sold, used, or made available to the public shall be examined and tested to determine whether they comply with the standards and requirements detailed in 8.2.7.
I have previously stated that these motors have not been and will not be available to the public, by definition, but you seemed to have glossed over and ignored those statements.

Scott,
Why are you still discussing this here? Write your proposal and submit it the the Tripoli BOD. I gave guidelines on how to do that earlier in this thread. I see only negative impact on your business with your rambling admissions that you’re practically out of business. And you no longer find selling certified motors to be worth the expense.

Tripoli is not organized to make sure anyone’s business is profitable. Tripoli must work within the regulations and within its bylaws to assure its members are served. The most important of these services is to maintain safety codes and insurance to allow securing launch sites.

Membership is for individuals only. Companies, universities, and government entities cannot be members of Tripoli nor are they insured at a Tripoli launch. They cannot skip securing their own insurance by launching uncertified commercial motors at a Tripoli launch.

Go through the motor testing and certification process, sell at a profit to whomever you want, and your motors can be flown by a Tripoli member as the flyer of record at a Tripoli launch.

Otherwise, sell your uncertified motors to any entity for them to fly at their own independent launches with their own insurance or insurance you secure.

It’s as simple as that. All the motor manufacturers are limited by the same regs and policies. Plus, Steve has shown specifically why Research motors are allowed for individuals who are Tripoli members. Stop dwelling on EX.

I don’t see any reason to continue this discussion here. Make your case to the Tripoli board. Use your time to concentrate on running your business and stop wasting your time here!

Scott, Why don’t you just offer colleges parts and pre fabricated grains. Sell testing services, classes and call it a day. You could make lots of money doing this without fighting over regulations.
Offer colleges arts or prefabricated grains.....
Because the chance of failure with my name attached to it would go up from <0.5%.

Classes require travel and lodging at great expense these days for anyone not within a 3.5 hr drive. Zoom calls would entail lectures instead of any hands on teaching or training. I've already had the most local college rocketry team out here for only half day of training so they could get back in time for other needs. Theer's only maybe 2-3 more I know of that are within a 5.5hr drive. For anyone else it would be a very long trip to get here. There's not many research enthusiasts around these parts.

I don’t see any reason to continue this discussion here. Make your case to the Tripoli board. Use your time to concentrate on running your business and stop wasting your time here!

Personally, I never see any good coming out of a recommendation to shut down discussion. Whether we like the discussion or not, an open forum and the ability to express ideas are fundamental to our society.

Scott's ideas and requests may be controversial, but they are worth talking about. I would very much love the ability to call Scott up and ask him to make me a 6" P motor and then be able to fly it at a Tripoli launch as a Loki Research motor. A world where that was possible from both a regulatory and policy standpoint seems like a good one to me. To dismiss it out of hand seems to be counter-productive. The way things are written right now, it is a purely "take it or leave it". I can see benefit from adding nuance that caters to experienced rocketeers with a desire to expand their availability of motors that is also safe and regulated.

We have already lost the majority of motor manufacturers in this hobby. CTI is barely selling anything in the US anymore (hope that changes!) and they have greatly pared back their large motor offerings. If we were to lose Loki, we would functionally be down to one reliable commercial motor manufacturer. I can't see how that would benefit anyone. We should be looking to help expand the market (safely), not restrict it.

The elephant in the room to me has been that Tripoli has the owner of Aerotech on their BoD. I am not saying there is any indication of impropriety, but it certainly is a conflict of interest that would be forbidden in most industries. Tripoli has placed the largest manufacturer of motors in this business in a position to have influence over policies that can harm his competitors. It doesn't matter if that ever happens - the optics of that are really horrible.

Scott,
Why are you still discussing this here? Write your proposal and submit it the the Tripoli BOD. I gave guidelines on how to do that earlier in this thread. I see only negative impact on your business with your rambling admissions that you’re practically out of business.
1) because things can't really get any worse than what they have been for the past 3 years. and 2) because my past experience has shown me that anything I submit will be processed through the motions only and rejected asap with no further discussion at all unless I resubmit a differently worded proposal, one which I haven't been told what I can change to get it approved, because they will not discuss it among themselves or with me. They simply state it can't be done. They do not want my proposals of change approved. THAT has been my experience. I have outlined my proposal clearly in my first post here. Everyone and anyone is free to take it and present it to the board as well. Steve can surely take notes or copy and paste and bring this to the board, but it will not happen because no one will do this on my behalf. They don't want it. If they did, they would work on it THEMSELVES and ask me for my (and surely Gary's) input along the way. But they won't They've know about this desire and request for 3 years now.

My push now then is to get the membership to push them. They have FAR more weight than I do and I've seen how a small minority of the membership pushed them to act 10 years ago against me. The membership of today just don't realize that they can do it in reverse, for me. This is as much for them as it is for a small manufacture like myself. If I really just wanted more money, I'd sell out and find a different job. As it stands now, I really like the potential I see for the future of university sales which could help properly fund a small company like this for growth, and I want it to grow without taking out a huge freaking risky loan at usury interest.

I see only negative impact on your business with your rambling admissions that you’re practically out of business. And you no longer find selling certified motors to be worth the expense.
I've been practically out of business for 10 years John, and I'm still here putting just enough food on the table that I don't have to work for anyone else and still keep the bills paid. And all the while the certified reloads that are in stock for sale are as good as any reload made. There are a lot of people out there doing the same just trying to get by I'm sure. I also really enjoy making rocket motors, testing rocket motors, designing new rocket motors and dealing with my customers in all those endeavors. I like that, no matter how simple of a life I live or how little I am able to travel or fly rockets any more. I would like business to be a lot more profitable and a lot more secure from the TRA powers that can take away my Approved Manufacturer status on a whim though.

I have not had a pleasant or positive experience dealing with the current or past leadership of the TRA, and I do not see how my saying so is wrong or impropper in any way. On the day I signed the deal to purchase Loki in April 2011, I was still banned from joining the TRA. This ban happened about 7 months prior to the purchase, well before I knew Jeff was going to sell Loki or that I would eventualy purchase Loki in the future. I was banned from the club because enough people complained about a call I made to the CA OSFM office a few months after I had left the company and moved back home. So apparently complaining DOES work. I didn't do anything wrong other that prove then president K.G. a liar by calling CA Fire Marshal Tony Guevera. I was not a paid member of the TRA for several months prior to my call, yet somehow, they still used the excuse that I, a non-member, somehow broke the by-laws of the club for "acts determined by the board of directors to be detrimental or injurious to the corporation", which I was no longer part of. So because they could not kick me out of the club, they banned me from joining it. Great bunch of people.

And BTW, for anyone who remembers this, Anthony Cesaroni even stated that it was not my call that made the CA OSFM change their policy on N motors and above, he said it was the fault of the ROC members calling the CA OSFM to fly P motors at the LDRS launch which caused the change in CA OSFM policy. Non of those members got banned. My call had no effect on the N-O motor ban because it was well after it had happened. In that instance at LDRS 29 in Lucerne, where Kosdon, a non-licenced (in any way), non-exempt manufacture was allowed to sell for profit and fly his "illegal in the state of CA and in TRA code" rocket motors. The TRA president and fellow boys BENT OVER BACKWARDS to help Kosdon out so that he could sell motors, profit from them illegally and excluded Loki Research from selling and flying at this same CA event. I know because I was the person who stood up and asked the board in front of everyone at the TRA meeting at LDRS in Potter, NY the year before "Will Loki be allowed to sell and fly motors in Lucerne?" We were told no, not without CA state licences and OSFM approvals. That is why I blew a gasket back then, back when I was not working at or for Loki. I was PO'd because I was lied to about a fake one-time event waiver. Sorry to any older ROC members reading. I'm not trying to throw you under the bus. Just stating the facts as to how I was railroaded.

Anthony Cesaroni

To: You
It wasn’t you or Terry or Darrell that poked the bear, far from it. It was ROC. When our N~O approvals were rescinded, I was working with Ken, Gary, Mary, Trip, Bill et al on the ATF igniter matter. Ken seemed surprised and suggested that it must have something to do with discussions ROC was having with the OSFM for LDRS. After the BS started to fly, TRA was doing a fine job of bashing you and Darrell while defending ROC who were the ones who really did the damage just to appease a few individuals agendas and so a handful of irrigation pipe motors could be flown for a few days. ROC has also publicly made false statements regarding our approval status without basis. I put them on notice this week and told them we are prepared to take legal action if they do not cease and desist immediately.

Anthony J. Cesaroni
President/CEO
Cesaroni Technology/Cesaroni Aerospace

The only negative impact on Loki Research and myself has been that cause by those in leadership, because I'm the one trying to follow the safety codes. I'm sorry to those of you who don't want to hear this, but those are the facts. And by shining a very bright light on these negative facts, not complaints, I hope to encourage the largest pool of new TRA board candidates up for vote next year that we have ever seen.
THAT IS my secondary goal now. As I see it, it is for the good of the membership as a whole if they want to see HPR not just survive, but thrive diversely and grow.

And NFPA 1127 exempts certain entities from its code, like Loki Research, but you have not acknowledge this. if you did, you would be in compliance with 1127.

You have verbally told me that the TRA Research user exemption is based on the wording in 1127 6.1(5).
Show me the the specific part of NFPA 6.1(5) that changed between the 2002 code version when research motors were banned, and the 2022 version or prior when they became allowed. The wording is identical in every 1127 version I have found from 2002 until 2022.

national user organization or an authority having

If a member of a National User Organization is exempt from 1127 - 1.2.3(2), 1.2.3(3), 6.1(3), 6.1(4), 6.1(5) & 6.1(8) then why is that group NOT listed in the exemptions of 1127 1.3.3?

1.3.3 This code shall not apply to the design, construction,
production, manufacture, fabrication, maintenance, launch,
flight, test, operation, use, or other activity connected with a
rocket or rocket motor where carried out or engaged in by the
following entities:
(1) National, state, or local government
(2) An individual, a firm, a partnership, a joint venture, a
corporation, or other business entity engaged as a licensed
business
in the research, development, production,
testing, maintenance, or supply of rockets, rocket
motors, rocket propellant chemicals, or rocket components
or parts
(3) College or university

Individuals not engaged in business do not apply here. Site me the code where they are allowed and how it changed from previous versions. If you can do that, I'll appologize to you and admit that there was a change in 1127 that I was not aware of.

I have previously stated that these motors have not been and will not be available to the public, by definition, but you seemed to have glossed over and ignored those statements.
Scott,
You’re mixing up the meanings of exception, exemption, and out of scope.

Scope
Manufacturers are out of scope of NFPA 1127. That means that none of 1127 directly governs their actions
Manufacturers are completely in-scope for 1125.
Individuals flying rockets and organizations holding launches are completely in-scope of 1127.
Individuals making motors for their own use are out of scope of 1125.

Exception
An exception is very narrow window in a requirement to provides for limited deviation from the rule being presented. Although our launches must comply with 1127, the wording that you quoted here from 1127 provides an exception to the prohibition on making motors for members of a national user organization:
national user organization
or an authority having

As I’ve posted above, Tripoli is a recognized national user organization and in my interpretation this allows our members to make their own motors, subject to the additional requirements of the Tripoli Safety Code. This is an exception, meaning it only applies to this one requirement. In fact the last clause in this requirement stipulates that all the other requirements in this code (1127) remain in place. That very deliberately means that the entire text of the requirements of 1127 must be considered in context with one another.

Specifically, the prohibition (5) from 1127 that you and I posted above must be considered in context with the one which immediately preceded it. I’ll post them together here so the context is whole:

(4) Selling, offering for sale, exposing for sale, or making available a rocket motor or motor reloading kit that does not comply with the requirements of this code and that has not been certified in accordance with NFPA 1125

(5) Making, operating, launching, flying, testing, activating, discharging, or otherwise experimenting with high power rocket motors, motor reloading kits, or pyrotechnic modules that have not been certified in accordance with NFPA 1125 other than for the purpose of evaluation of new high power rocket motor technology by a recog‐ nized national user organization or an AHJ, provided that all other requirements of this code are met and all activities are in accordance with applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances

So, speaking for myself only as only one of nine members of the board, I feel that these two prohibition together establish that a non-certified high power motor manufactured by a commercial manufacturer is prohibited by 1127, which directly affects our actions at a launch. It doesn’t matter if you are out of scope as a manufacturer; our members and our launch are in-scope of this and all other requirements of 1127.

To further support my position is this statement in the scope portion of NFPA 1125, which you are in-scope and which requires certification of commercial motors:
1.1.7 This code shall not apply to the fabrication of model rocket motors or high-power rocket motors by individuals for their personal use.

I wasn’t on the board or a member of the NFPA Pyrotechnics Technical Committee in 2002. I am not claiming that anything changed. This is simply my interpretation, but my conversations with others on the committee have led me to believe that Tripoli Research is in a good place, but that rocking the boat at NFPA by suggesting changes could result in changes that we hadn’t anticipated and which we would not want.

Lastly, whatever you choose as your business model is totally up to you, but I will resist any changes to NFPA Codes or the Tripoli Safety Code that I feel would not be beneficial to our member abilities to participate in high power and research rocketry.
Tripoli has no obligation to provide launch facilities or insurance to those entities which are out of scope of 1127. They are, in every case, official or professional organizations which have a responsibility to provide their own facilities, insurance, risk assessment, and waiver. By including those organizations we would raise our exposure to claims which could result in higher priced insurance. The cost of insurance has gone up substantially as it is.

John Demar has provided you with a road map of what you can try. Gary has recommended that you get involved with NFPA. Me? I’m going back to bed.

p.s. If Tripoli decided to fly in the face of NFPA requirements by allowing motors manufactured commercially without certification and sold to our members to be used at our launches, that would open up the market to a lot more “exempt” manufacturers. You might want to consider how that competition might affect your sales.

Last edited:
Scott,

If you want to make your business more profitable, I think you should spend less time complaining about Tripoli, NFPA and the Tripoli BOD and more time creating a plan for profitability within the current system. As a business owner that started 5 years ago and now grosses millions, I see your direction as poorly designed for profit.
You spent thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours to develop a 54 mm M class motor. While it's really cool to see, only a very small subset of rocketeers are interested and capable (as well as having access to a field with sufficient waiver) to fly a 54 mm minimum diameter rocket to really high. Your ROI will probably be never.
You could have taken the same time and money and produced your most popular motors, keeping them in stock, increasing your sales so you can get that new truck you want.
There's also the issue of directly competing with your dealers. Really is a buzz kill for dealers to want to sell Loki motors.
Then there's the behavior thing. You got yourself booted out of a large club that would have made you lots of money. I don't know (and don't want to know) the specifics but bottom line, you lost a lot of sales with whatever went down. As a business owner, I know my behavior is also a direct reflection of my company. That's why, even after starting a company, I remain a volunteer firefighter, rec soccer coach, involved in committees in my town and church. I'm not a legend or a hero, but my reputation drives a large part of my business.. Just saying.....

I hope you spend some time thinking about this post in the manor it was meant to be, and not just flame me as just another Scott hater. I really like you G spitfire in the smaller field I fly at occasionally.......

Rick

Steve, you did not answer the questions I posed, but posted a great deal of distraction and diversion again.

How did the NFPA codes specifically change between 25 years ago and now that allow for EX.
You can go ask someone else on the board who knows if you do not, but I am telling you, every revision of the 1127 code I can find, the wording is identical in 6.1(5)

You have also not answered how the context of you supposed "exception" is in line with the stated prohibited acts in Section 6 of tampering with certified reloads, 6.1(3)
or reloading expendable motors 6.1(8),
or the stated purpose of the entire document in section 1 of discouraging the making or launching home made rocket motors 1.2.3(2) &(3). All of these are allowed.

How is allowing these listed discouraged and prohibited activities by member who is IN SCOPE of 1127 remotely in line with the end of 6.1(5)?
"provided that ALL other requirements of this
code are met
and all activities are in accordance with applicable
laws, regulations, and ordinances."

I see the word "Exception" stated 10 times in 1125, which applies to manfs only.
The word is specifically stated with the specific "exception" listed directly behind the word Exception:
It is abundantly clear where there are exceptions in 1125 and what they are specifically excepting.

Here is an example.
4.9.3.2 Where temporary lighting is necessary within a magazine,
electric safety flashlights, electric safety lanterns, or
chemiluminescent lighting shall be used.
Exception: Listed portable lighting equipment shall be permitted to be
used during repair operations, provided the area has been cleared of all
propellant materials and all dust or residue has been removed by
washing.

Strange that I do not find a single instance of the word "exception" in the entire 1127 document.
I do find one instance of the word "except".

4.18.2 Except for those individuals with mobility restrictions,
all persons in the launching, prepping, spectator, and parking
areas during a countdown and launch shall stand and face the
launcher if requested to do so by the range safety officer.

I find it extremely odd that the 1125 document is explicitly clear about what is "excepted" 10 seperate times and the other document 1127 only shows one instance of the word "except" in a totally different area.

I guess you would claim that the words "other than" in 6.1(5) also allow you to "except" that members can also violate section 6.1(3) and 6.1(8) of the prohibited section, even though no specific "exception" or "exemption" is listed in those specific sections other than 1.3.3.

Again, please go find out and report back what specifically changed in the document to "except" research activities now and did not 20-25 years ago.

I just don’t get it. Why should special groups (like university students) have access to fly commercially-manufactured and sold uncertified motors at TRA launches while regular Tripoli members cannot? Are the students safer or more competent than the others? You might as well just eliminate the certification requirement entirely so that all members can fly them.

What am I missing?

I see the makings of possibly a whole new and different career in the country music business, you already got the sad story and broke down truck, just a thought….

Offer colleges arts or prefabricated grains.....
Because the chance of failure with my name attached to it would go up from <0.5%.

Classes require travel and lodging at great expense these days for anyone not within a 3.5 hr drive. Zoom calls would entail lectures instead of any hands on teaching or training. I've already had the most local college rocketry team out here for only half day of training so they could get back in time for other needs. Theer's only maybe 2-3 more I know of that are within a 5.5hr drive. For anyone else it would be a very long trip to get here. There's not many research enthusiasts around these parts.
If their motors fails, it is on them. You are selling parts. Do not attach your name to it. Of course you would need to run this by your insurance provider. It is just an idea to help your bottom line.

Steve, you did not answer the questions I posed, but posted a great deal of distraction and diversion again.

How did the NFPA codes specifically change between 25 years ago and now that allow for EX.
You can go ask someone else on the board who knows if you do not, but I am telling you, every revision of the 1127 code I can find, the wording is identical in 6.1(5)

You have also not answered how the context of you supposed "exception" is in line with the stated prohibited acts in Section 6 of tampering with certified reloads, 6.1(3)
or reloading expendable motors 6.1(8),
or the stated purpose of the entire document in section 1 of discouraging the making or launching home made rocket motors 1.2.3(2) &(3). All of these are allowed.

How is allowing these listed discouraged and prohibited activities by member who is IN SCOPE of 1127 remotely in line with the end of 6.1(5)?
"provided that ALL other requirements of this
laws, regulations, and ordinances."

I see the word "Exception" stated 10 times in 1125, which applies to manfs only.
The word is specifically stated with the specific "exception" listed directly behind the word Exception:
It is abundantly clear where there are exceptions in 1125 and what they are specifically excepting.

Here is an example.
4.9.3.2 Where temporary lighting is necessary within a magazine,
electric safety flashlights, electric safety lanterns, or
chemiluminescent lighting shall be used.
Exception: Listed portable lighting equipment shall be permitted to be
used during repair operations, provided the area has been cleared of all
propellant materials and all dust or residue has been removed by
washing.

Strange that I do not find a single instance of the word "exception" in the entire 1127 document.
I do find one instance of the word "except".

4.18.2 Except for those individuals with mobility restrictions,
all persons in the launching, prepping, spectator, and parking
areas during a countdown and launch shall stand and face the
launcher if requested to do so by the range safety officer.

I find it extremely odd that the 1125 document is explicitly clear about what is "excepted" 10 seperate times and the other document 1127 only shows one instance of the word "except" in a totally different area.

I guess you would claim that the words "other than" in 6.1(5) also allow you to "except" that members can also violate section 6.1(3) and 6.1(8) of the prohibited section, even though no specific "exception" or "exemption" is listed in those specific sections other than 1.3.3.

Again, please go find out and report back what specifically changed in the document to "except" research activities now and did not 20-25 years ago.
Scott,
I will never answer your questions to your full satisfaction and I guess I’m done trying. You’ve gone from wanting a special motor exemption to trying to throw Tripoli Research under the bus by highlighting imperfections. Unfortunately, nothing is ever perfect, including me. We try for substantial compliance with the spirit of 1127 and we understand that things could be better and could be worse. Our safety record would seem to indicate that we have found a good balance.
Good luck going forward. I hope this coming year is better for you and your wife. You make great motors.
Best wishes for a happy New Year!
Steve

I just don’t get it. Why should special groups (like university students) have access to fly commercially-manufactured and sold uncertified motors at TRA launches while regular Tripoli members cannot? Are the students safer or more competent than the others? You might as well just eliminate the certification requirement entirely so that all members can fly them.

What am I missing?
From my experience, students and student groups in particular, unless properly mentored, "are not safer or more competent than the others".

One simple question.

Has the TRA officially adopted NFPA 1127 as their safety code?

The elephant in the room to me has been that Tripoli has the owner of Aerotech on their BoD. I am not saying there is any indication of impropriety, but it certainly is a conflict of interest that would be forbidden in most industries. Tripoli has placed the largest manufacturer of motors in this business in a position to have influence over policies that can harm his competitors. It doesn't matter if that ever happens - the optics of that are really horrible.
You can’t expect to make a statement like that and not expect pushback. What “elephant in the room”? I have been elected to the BoD by the membership on four separate occasions over a span of around 20 years. The “optics” can’t be that horrible since clearly they repeatedly desire to have at least some manufacturer (and now dealer) representation on the Board. I have been a member of Tripoli national since it’s inception and the membership obviously recognizes and values that depth of experience and knowledge about the organization. The idea that I have “influence over policies that can harm my competitors” is a red herring statement. No one would put up with that behavior for a second. On the contrary, my seat on the board has helped the industry including Loki and CTI in that we worked together to benefit the manufacturers as a group. Tripoli and the high-power hobby wouldn’t exist without the manufacturers. A voice on the Board is a voice for the high-power industry.

Last edited:
One simple question.

Has the TRA officially adopted NFPA 1127 as their safety code?
Instead of continually beating a dead horse with TRA, why don’t you try to get NAR to change all their rules to accommodate you then NAR could makes all your dreams come true.

You can’t expect to make a statement like that and not expect pushback. What “elephant in the room”? I have been elected to the BoD by the membership on four separate occasions over a span of around 20 years. The “optics” can’t be that horrible since clearly they repeatedly desire to have at least some manufacturer (and now dealer) representation on the Board. I have been a member of Tripoli national since it’s inception and the membership obviously recognizes and values that depth of experience and knowledge about the organization. The idea that I have “influence over policies that can harm my competitors” is red herring statement. No one would put up with that behavior for a second. On the contrary, my seat on the board has helped the industry including Loki and CTI in that we worked together to benefit the manufacturers as a group. Tripoli and the high-power hobby wouldn’t exist without the manufacturers. A voice on the Board is a voice for the high-power industry.
100% Gary
I would take you a step further and say that also having Chris Short on the BOD is a big plus for the hobby by having a vendor perspective to go along with the manufacturer perspective. Thank you and all the BOD members both past and present for all the time and effort you’ve expending making this hobby sustainable and enjoyable

I must have missed this.
We try for substantial compliance with the spirit of 1127
Compliance with the spirit?????

So this might mean that the TRA has not adopted NFPA 1127 as their safety code.
I thought they once did adopt it, but now I'm not so sure.

Adopting the "spirit" of 1127 code is not the same as the adoption of the code.
Is that why the TRA code does not follow the complete wording of NFPA 1127 code?

From the TRA website, under Safety Information,

Tripoli Rocketry Association Safety Code​

Effective December 1, 2022

Introduction

This document combines and revises the Tripoli High Power Safety Code, the Tripoli Research Safety Code, rules for Model Rockets, and Radio-Controlled Boost Gliders when used at Tripoli Launches.

This document either meets or exceeds NFPA 1122 and 1127 with respect to commercial motors without forcing our members or Prefects to have a current copy of the NFPA codes.

16 Referenced Publications
The following documents or portions thereof are referenced within this code or establish requirements recognized by AHJs.
16.1NFPA Publications. National Fire Protection Association, 1 Batterymarch Park, P.O. Box 9101, Quincy, MA 02269-9101
16-1.1NFPA 1122, Code for Model Rocketry.
16-1.2NFPA 1125, Code for the Manufacture of Model Rocket Motors.
16-1.3 NFPA 1127, Code for High Power Rocketry

So 1127 is referenced in spirit only but not adopted then?

@Loki Research, earlier in this thread you had made mention of "preventing manufacturers from accessing this quite large profit area growing within the university system."

You have identified a clearly growing opportunity within your area of expertise to design, manufacture, and profit from this market. I see no specific reason why NFPA needs to be amended when you can certify these large N and O motors and sell them at a very high price tag. Certify and sell your wears, focus on ROI, spend less time pounding drums and more time mixing propellant.

You are not doing your reputation or future sales any favors by continuing these diatribes in public.

100% Gary
I would take you a step further and say that also having Chris Short on the BOD is a big plus for the hobby by having a vendor perspective to go along with the manufacturer perspective. Thank you and all the BOD members both past and present for all the time and effort you’ve expending making this hobby sustainable and enjoyable
You’re welcome and thanks. It’s been a pleasure and an honor to work with this great organization and its members!

Sorry if this was discussed already.

Can I buy all the parts for an uncertified rocket motor from RCS ( https://www.rocketmotorparts.com/ ), assemble them, and fly the result as an EX motor at a TRA event? Or does that violate 1127?

I see no specific reason why NFPA needs to be amended when you can certify these large N and O motors and sell them at a very high price tag.
Justin,

I still need funding and profits to cover the continued production of the hardware components and nozzles. If they were ready and waiting to be certified, it would be in the proccess right now, but they are still in development. Small steps to a successful motor design. There is still more testing to do in the development. This takes more money and time and each test launch is anothr set of data points that are profitable right now without the need for certification.

You are correct that NFPA does not need to be amended for me to do what I am asking to do.
TRA code and policy would however need to be changed to fall in line with NFPA code to allow this.

Demonstration motors and/or Exempt motors and entities are allowed to fly any motor and be exmpt under the written text of 1127 1.3.3, so there is no need for certification if selling to another exempt entity (business to business or govt) according to NFPA text.

These motors are not being offered to the public, and therefor are exempt from 1125 text.

I restate these things because a person of unquestionable authority on NFPA 1127/1125 within the hobby has confirmed to me that all my statements above and every claim I have made thus far about 1127 or 1125 are 100% accurate. We did not talk about insurance yet.

Every single statement I made to this individual was agreed with and confirmed as they read and flipped through the pages of both documents most recent text revisions to verify my statements. They agreed that what I am stating here........ is all 100% accurate. They were very confused at the premise of Steve's claims and argument.
How do they know this? Because they helped wright these two codes.

Perhaps they may take the time in the future to let you hear it from the horses mouth and set everyone else straight here, but TRF is not their thing. They are not the first person to have told me this already either. The first person however is too afraid of the leaderships potential retaliation to speak up. It's a real thing.

The idea that I have “influence over policies that can harm my competitors” is red herring statement. No one would put up with that behavior for a second. On the contrary, my seat on the board has helped the industry including Loki and CTI in that we worked together to benefit the manufacturers as a group.

I have met you (at Red Glare last year) and think you are a great person to be around and a wonderful advocate for the industry and the hobby. I, on average, purchase about $15,000-$20,000 a year worth of Aerotech/RCS motors and equipment. I currently own 133 Aerotech cases, including multiples of all 98mm and 75mm cases. I absolutely love your company and have purchased upwards of $100,000 in Aerotech products through the years - probably more. Clearly, I support your business.

I do not doubt for a single second that you have contributed much over the years to Tripoli and our hobby. Having said all that, if you are human, then there is no way to avoid unconscious bias, even with the greatest of intentions. This has nothing to do with you personally. Anyone in your position would have a conflict of interest, by definition. Whether you are conscious of it or not, you do have an influence over your competitors. Even if you never exercise that power consciously, it is there. It is not a point of whether you do or do not try to exert influence - you have it by the nature of your position, regardless of whether you were elected or not. Saying you have "influence over policies that can harm your competitors" isn't not a qualitative statement - it is just a fact. At the end of the day, Tripoli has the power to say which motors are certified and which ones are not, which materially affects motor manufacturers. As a decision maker with voting power, you do have material influence.

Can I buy all the parts for an uncertified rocket motor from RCS ( https://www.rocketmotorparts.com/ ), assemble them, and fly the result as an EX motor at a TRA event? Or does that violate 1127?
In my (one of nine) opinion, buying separate parts and doing the necessary design and finishing work in order to assemble them into a working motor is a valid research process.
Others may disagree.
However, if parts were sold as a single kit that a person simply assembles and flies, that probably would be considered a commercially manufactured, non-certified reload or motor and not allowed as a research motor.
Of course the problem is (and always has been) how do the launch directors and RSOs know? At some level we have to trust that our members are doing the right things.

I think the more appropriate analogy would be buying individual parts/motor grains off the RCS site and then trying to fly it at a Tripoli launch it as an Aerotech branded motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back