Excellent quote from Maker Faire article

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

falingtrea

Reaction score
I read this Design News article about Maker Faire at the San Mateo county fairground in CA, and had to post this quote of the last paragraph:

"While waiting on the Caltrain platform for my return to San Jose, I spied a dad with two kids: a brother and sister who looked like they were perhaps 9 and 8 years old respectively. Each child held a foot-long purple rocket with an expended rocket engine still in place. The girl's rocket had lost one of its four stabilizer fins, probably from a bad landing in the parking lot after its inaugural flight. It didn't matter. She wasn't letting it out of her tight grasp. She'd made something herself. She'd launched it herself. It streaked into the sky and returned to earth. Now she was taking it home. In just a few short hours, that little girl learned about the power and thrill of making something spectacular and then using it. She'd touched the exquisite creative joy that sits at the core of engineering just as the vehicle developers at the Maker Faire surely have. You could see it in the way she held her rocket. She now had bragging rights. I suspect that the family I saw on the train platform will return to the 2010 Maker Faire. Let's hope there's a cupcake car or an electric reclining-chair runabout or a fire-snorting snail car in that young lady's future. Steve Leibson, Contributing Editor -- Design News"

Ahh!! The power of Make-it Take-it! :D Kudos to LUNAR and Aeropac for doing this!

very cool - thanks for posting that quote!

The Cyclones were excellent for the purpose. We provided dinosaur & star & smiley face stickers, pens, and glitter glue for decorating. we used streamers to keep the rockets within a small 200x100 asphalt launch & recovery area, and yeah there were a few popped fins and other owie-bonks.

LUNAR folks helped the fairegoers build & fly over 440 rockets; 425 Cyclones, 3 or 4 paper saucers, and more than a dozen assorted 3FNCs. it was a lot of work but we think we did great. Maker Faire gave LUNAR an "Editors' Choice" 1st place award and blue ribbon! So they think we did good too.

AeroPAC did a number of static burns of HPR motors - everyone loved those!

Do I understand it correctly, as I attempted to look it on the internet? The Maker Faire's are only once a year at a designated location?

I can't seem to find out if these are held anywhere else.

Do I understand it correctly, as I attempted to look it on the internet? The Maker Faire's are only once a year at a designated location?

I can't seem to find out if these are held anywhere else.

MakerFaire has been held in three locations to date: the Bay Area, Austin, and Newcastle in the UK. The Austin Area Rocketry Group ran the Build & Fly events at both of the Austin events, flying over 500 rockets each year (we could have done more, had we not run out of rockets!)

No word yet on an Austin event for this year, and I fear the worst. Apparently there was a significant drop in attendance year-over-year, which the organizers attributed to the down economy.

James

Back