EVR "Aggressor"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EchoVictor

Reaction score
Well, had some time tonight to mess around with my new parts I got from Sirius Rocketry (https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=10828). I decided I'd start with the "Crusader Swing-Wing" nose cone.

My original intent was to do a bigger version of an A-7 Corsair II after being inspired by DLazarus' build ( https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=9948 ). However, as I started drawing up plans, I just wasn't 'catching the vibe' as it were.

So, as is my penchant, I did a little bit of sketching and came up with something a little different. I call it the "Aggressor";

100_2101.jpg

100_2105.jpg

100_2107.jpg

100_2108.jpg

Still thinking about adding some more details, like engine tubes or gun pods or something....

Later,
EV

Last edited:
Well, I decided to go with both. However, I used BT-20s for the "engine tubes" and BT-5s for the "gun pods";

100_2118.jpg

One thing I noticed during placing the engine tubes was that they didn't quite look right against the rear edge of the wings. So, cut a little notch...

100_2120.jpg

...and they nest up quite nicely, with the outer edge of the tube just touching the wing.

100_2119.jpg

Still trying to figure out a color scheme. Any opinions on paint?

Later,
EV

VERY cool...

Ya know what it's SCREAMING for though??

GATLING GUNS!!!

Take a fat white BIC pen, the kind typically sold in packs at Walmart... Think they call them BIC sticks IIRC... anyway, take the pen apart, save the tube and end cap (actually save all of it because you can use the other parts for other stuff, but I digress).

Cut about an inch long piece of the pen tube off. That's the main body of your Gatling gun. Get a box of toothpicks, and take about 7 toothpicks and lay them out for trimming. Cut the entire ogive tip off one about say almost half an inch from the ends to make it a "dowel rod". This one will be the "center" of the Gatling barrel assembly. Trim the very tips off the other toothpicks with the hobby knife-- I leave only snip off the last 1/8 inch or so to leave part of the taper there for a neat 'mean looking' effect. These are the gun barrels. Glue two of them to either side of the central 'axle' toothpick dowel mentioned earlier. Once that's dry, glue the rest of the toothpicks around the central axle toothpick dowel to finish the barrel assembly off. Once dry, test fit the assembly into the "main body" of the gun (the BIC pen tube) and sand or shave a bit off the end with the hobby knife if required for a good fit. Glue it into the pen tube. I cut a 'band' off the end of the leftover pen tube about 1/8 inch long for a 'bearing' that I put about 1/4 of the length of the barrels from the "nozzle ends" just to make sure everything's strong and a bit easier to glue to the rocket. The pen's "plug" in the other end of the tube is pushed out and installed on the open end of the gun 'body' for a nice finished look.

You could probably make these using launch lugs and other such tubes as well, which would probably be a little lighter and easier to glue than the plastic pen tubes as well.

You can use the ball point and tapered part of the BIC stick pens to make dandy "rocket pods" or "cannons" for your models as well-- carefully remove the ink tube (so you don't get covered with ink) and put the ball point and tapered adapter back on a short length of pen tube, with the end plug installed in the back. Paint to suit. The tapered end looks a lot like the conical front cylindrical 'rocket launchers' on Hind helicopters and various cannons often seen in sci-fi shows...

I've got a model I built with them *somewhere* I'll have to look it up and post pics... :) Good luck! OL JR :)

Oooooooh. Bigger, better guns!!!

Do post some pictures, please!

Later,
EV

Listen here son, Ya gots ta have phasers and photons ifin yer makin a mean fightin machine!
This here can be your entry to the model space rocket contest someone puttin on in this here forum somewhere.
Are ya list'in boy...that boy is as sharp as a bowlin bawl.
Now where's that dog, gonna teach him some manners and a thing or two.

One of my favorite cartoon charactors...can you guess?

Finally got some paint on this. Decided that since it was obviously inspired by the A-7 Corsair II ground attack variant, why no go with camoflage on top/grey underneath?

100_2148.jpg

100_2146.jpg

Later,
EV

Got some custom decals made up for this one too;

Overall top;
100_2155.jpg

Overall bottom;
100_2156.jpg

Rear close-up;
100_2158.jpg

Later,
EV

I like the "design it,as you build it" method myself.Somtimes like you said, ya just dont get the vibes when looking at a drawing. Scotty Dog

Got this one in the air as well recently;

100_2173.jpg

Nice straight flight on a B6-4, but she landed right on the gravel and broke a rear fin. No worries though, as she's already repaired an ready to fly again....

Later,
EV

That looks great! How'd she fly??

Interesting blast deflectors... is that concrete poured into the bottom of soda bottles??

Later! OL JR :)

Back