Everyone has heard "The dog ate my homework". Well...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prfesser

LIFETIME SUPPORTER
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
...the dog retrieved my rocket...

Perfect flight of the Interceptor E, landed without damage. Then one of the landowner's dogs 'helped' by picking it up and dragging it across the field. Dog did not have a 'soft mouth'.

1699195748419.png
Amazingly the fins, strakes, pods, etc. were undamaged, a testament to the durability and recommend-ability of epoxy. I yelled a lot, cried a little. Cutting off and replacing the end won't be a really big deal, but I fear I'll have to sand off most of the paint and decals, and refinish. Need to check with Estes to see if they have that tubing and those decals, or I'll see about printing them.

Yikes! I hope you can fix it! Unfortunate that it happened to such a nice rocket. :(

Could you slide a coupler/wax paper in there and fill the hole, or is the airframe wrinkled?
Might be possible, and if Estes no longer carries that tubing I might do that. Remember the Interceptor E hasn't been made for quite a few years. The repair isn't as much a problem as the finish. I doubt I can match the paint exactly; I use rattlecans and whites are all slightly different. I don't know whether I used Krylon or Rustoleum. It pretty much means repainting all the white area. And those decals were completely un-fun to apply the first time. 'S'ok, I'm optimistic, I'll figure it out.

Get the wrinkles out if you can but don't overthink it. I have rockets like that, too. Battle scars. Take em with you to the pub. Girls love tattoos and scars, they know there is a good story behind it.

"Well there I was, about a half a parsec behind Epsilon Eridiani, cruising slow line .75 c up to the E planet, you know, with the elliptical rings, when all of a sudden...". NO CARRIER

Back