Ever hear of a Longworth Chuck? May build a set for glassing tubes...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.


Well-Known Member
Aug 31, 2010
Reaction score
Was just doodling around the net tonight, and somehow found this gem:

I've got the tools to build this, and am thinking of making a smaller version (x2) to have a self-centering adjustable mandrel for tube glassing that could be easily motorized as well! The blog post shows the device holding a turned bowl on a lathe, but I don't see why you can't hold a cylinder from it's ID...

Anyone heard of this before? Other ideas for holding cylinders?
Since you asked for other ideas, a test plug the right size, chucked in either a three jaw or four jaw chuck should be easy and cheap, but for large tubes the Longworth chuck looks great!

Steve Shannon
Was not aware of the name or history of the device, but I have seen several commercial versions available from various woodworking vendors.
That is an interesting looking tool which might work as well for slotting, at least if the slots don't come close to the end of the tube.

I was also thinking about something that would clamp inside the tube, so you could square it perfectly since many times tubes, especially larger sizes are roughly cut to length. Perhaps a Longworth-style chuck with larger/longer buttons that could clamp inside the tube without touching the end.