Estse Saturn V build "Q"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty Dog

Reaction score
:HI

This is a project that I been doing FOOOORRRRR-EVVVOOOOOORRR. I want to get-r-done.I just put the tunnels on and put the green puty to the ends. I got to finish fine fitting the fairings, get those on and a finaly once over and should be ready for paint. So heres one "Q" This kit came with "Fairing Gussets" These are made of thin card board stock. I can not find in the instructions any place on were these go. So I put them on the inside of the fairings ( being named "fairing gussets":confused2:) I cut them down so they ran down the middle of the fairing and also had contact with the fin. I figured this way at least it will give the fairing 3 pts of contact on the BT and help reinforce the fin. So howed I do on that ?The kit also came with a "reinforceing ring" This fits inside the BT and I cannt find what Im suposed to do with this. Im thinking to put it in the top of the BT just below the bottom of the NC. This ring is real thin and I donnt think it will hang up the chutes. This seems the best place for it to me ,as the top of BT is a little weak. The bottom of the BT is plenty strong. I may be way of the mark here but this is were its going unless I hear dif from someone.The whole fairing -fin-gusset set up on this kit did not thrill me at all. If I was to do it again,I would make the fins outa balsa with more length and connect them directly to BT. Id then cut the fin slots out of the fairing and slide it over the fin and be done with it. I do think this way would be alot easer and be stonger. anywhoo- any comments on this would be great. thanks Scotty Dog

Saturn-V.JPG

Saturn V.JPG

I am working on the Service Module Wrap decal for the 1/100th scale Sturn V too!

Almost finished.

I bashed my kit into a five motor cluster when I built mine, I cant remember which it was, but one of the tube couplers I had left after the build got made into a baffle. I might have used the skinny one to reenforce the bottom of the tube, I can not remember.

bffl.jpg

IMG_0189.jpg

I bet that looks like the real thing on lift off. I did find some info on this Saturn V kit on Rocket Review. Seems the issues I been having are common. I found out that the bottom wrap is better placed 1/4 higher up on the BT then instructed. This way the fairngs dont hang below BT without support. I would like to pick up another Sarturn V kit someday and do the cluster thing. Scotty Dog

I bet that looks like the real thing on lift off. I did find some info on this Saturn V kit on Rocket Review. Seems the issues I been having are common. I found out that the bottom wrap is better placed 1/4 higher up on the BT then instructed. This way the fairngs dont hang below BT without support. I would like to pick up another Sarturn V kit someday and do the cluster thing. Scotty Dog

I love the saturn V.

I wish I could afford the original kit. However, the prices people have been asking a little too much for my LPR blood.

I found mine in the local hobby shop buried under other kits and got it for about $75.00

I found out that the bottom wrap is better placed 1/4 higher up on the BT then instructed. This way the fairngs dont hang below BT without support. I would like to pick up another Sarturn V kit someday and do the cluster thing. Scotty Dog
I got home tonight and ended up glueing in the reinforceing ring in bottom of BT. Left it sticking out that 1/4 I lacked.Then I cut 1/4 strips of card stock and applied two wraps around the ring.Now Im were I should be. I hacked the fairngs up a little trying to make them fit before I found out about the 1/4" thing..:gavel: I can salvage them with alot of filler . Oh-Well ,Live and learn to reveiw a rocket of this skill before the build. Scotty Dog

It must have taken a long time to build it,but it is worth the work once you finally get to fly it.

Got the fairings on the other night. Need to do some filling and a final once over and its ready for the paint shop. Im really leaning towards, getting the white on it and calling it good and launching it. I figure if it crash and burns :y: I donnt need anymore time in it. If it survives then Ill do the final paint and decals. Scotty Dog

Well ,here it is . Got it in primer . Ill touch up the fairing joints and paint it.All in all not a bad job. I give myself a C+ to a B- for a grade.:confused2: Scotty Dog

Saturn-V in primer.JPG

Well ,here it is . Got it in primer . Ill touch up the fairing joints and paint it.All in all not a bad job. I give myself a C+ to a B- for a grade.:confused2: Scotty Dog

You are being too hard on yourself. Looks great! The final grade shouldn't be given until you mask and paint anyway.;)

Agreed. It looks great so far. At least you didn't pull a bonehead stunt like me and place one of the wraps on in the wrong place... :eek:

You are being too hard on yourself. Looks great! The final grade shouldn't be given until you mask and paint anyway.;)
True! And the final,final grade should not be till after a launch. Hard on myself for sure. Im a real stickler when it comes to finish work. Thanks for the "Looks great" I needed that after the issues I had with this build. Scotty Dog

Agreed. It looks great so far. At least you didn't pull a bonehead stunt like me and place one of the wraps on in the wrong place... :eek:
I would like to do one again,now that I know the qurks with this kit. I would like to do a cluster like you did. Scotty Dog

Back