Estes Wizard makeover

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mamba max1

Reaction score
Well, this was the first rocket I ever built about 10 years ago (I'm only 19). I painted it a faded red, white, and blue. A few weeks back, I noticed how sorry it looked (had been used a lot) so I decided to make it over.

Gave it a new body tube, last one has been squished. :y:
airfoiled the fins
sweet new paint job (skills are a lot better now lol)
added future floor finish to give it that "wet" look

And here she is. :D

IMG_1420.jpg

IMG_1429.jpg

IMG_1433.jpg

Shiny. :D

Looks sharp! I'm sure it will fly nicely. Keep it on As or Bs and you might have it a while. Put a C in it an kiss it goodbye!

That has always been one of my favorite little rockets. Nice paint job!

Well, um. Its gone. :y:

Put the biggest C motor it would take. It went above the clouds and was goneeeeeee. Dang it, had it for 10 years. :(

Time to go buy another. :D

Last edited:
Well, there is a certain "thrill" to knowing that something you launched has gone off to Heaven.

OTOH, if you want to get the next one back, I suggest that you only use enough silver-colored streamer (like about ten inches) to flip & twist & sparkle, and design it to come down as quickly as possible.

(But I certainly can't make fun of you for what you did, one of my earliest launches was an Apogee II with a C booster and a C upper stage. As I recall, I did get the booster back.)

Very nice re-finish, BTW. While it lasted?

I've lost many of those. I use them as "test rockets." I always launch one of those to get a "reading" on the wind before launching other stuff.

I've lost many of those. I use them as "test rockets." I always launch one of those to get a "reading" on the wind before launching other stuff.

That's actually what I was using it for. It's a shame that I lost it though.

Anyways, I shot another rocket up with a vid camera on it. After catching a wind current and floating for about a half mile, the rocket finally landed in a tree. Happens to be the very last tree in the woods. :bang: A few feet further, and it would of been free. :rolleyes: Going back for the camera laden rocket today, should be able to retrieve it (have a bow/arrow this time)

Last edited:
I had one as a kid back in the early 80's and the older version's fins were slightly larger and it came with a 30" streamer instead of the newer ones 14" streamer.

I bought a couple wizard kits taking advantage of my 40% off coupon and just recently found one marked down at Hobby lobby for 5.99!

But I replaced the streamers with 30" bright orange crepe paper streamers which makes it much easier to see when its way up there on a clear day.

I kept my original wizard from 1981-87 when it was finally retired. I remember going thru a lot of A8-3 engine with it.... I was too scared to used a C6-7! :dark:

Wow! A really nice refinish job, I really like the color scheme. To bad you lost it. I assume you had a streamer on it? Walk a serpentine path between the launch area and where your camera rocket ended up, you just might find it.

Good luck!

a bitter/sweet post.I was likeing the mask job on the fins,then I read on and.....its GONE :y: BUMMER!

Back