Estes "wiggly waggly" rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

techrat

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Estes used to make a rocket (not sure if they still do), that, at ejection, separates into 5 or more pieces that are held together by string or shock cord, and there's no parachute, it just wiggles it's way back to earth. I'm thinking about doing a slight upscale of this, with a BT-60 or BT-70 tube, 24mm Motor and a whole bunch of couplers. But I cannot remember the name of this thing. I'll hold all the bits together with longer lengths of kevlar (I have a lot of 100lb from kates kites or something). But if anyone could point me to the old Estes instructions, that would be a starting point. Thanks!!

Estes used to make a rocket (not sure if they still do), that, at ejection, separates into 5 or more pieces that are held together by string or shock cord, and there's no parachute, it just wiggles it's way back to earth. I'm thinking about doing a slight upscale of this, with a BT-60 or BT-70 tube, 24mm Motor and a whole bunch of couplers. But I cannot remember the name of this thing. I'll hold all the bits together with longer lengths of kevlar (I have a lot of 100lb from kates kites or something). But if anyone could point me to the old Estes instructions, that would be a starting point. Thanks!!
If you’re still looking for the instructions there’s a link on the AC Supply product page https://www.acsupplyco.com/image/catalog/instructions/1413.pdf

The Wacky Wiggler is an E2X kit that’s made up of plastic parts and pre-finished tubes so the instructions probably won’t be as useful as the actual kit - I have an already mentioned O’ddl Rockets Break Away - it’s a fun kit to build and works as advertised but it’s roughly the same size as the Estes WW. An upsized version sounds like a great project!

I would recommend the Odd'l Breakaway over the Estes Wacky Wiggler - without the heavier plastic parts, it flies better.
I agree. I've just seen that it's an all plastic rocket. I might just still buy a Tube, some couplers and a nosecone and make my own, but I'm willing to try the Odd'l kit since I buy from eRockets pretty regularly already (I have a shipment of other bits arriving tomorrow from them).... at this point, they probably know me by first name (which is way easier than my last name anyhow!), so next week's order of more stuff shouldn't be a surprise to them.

I agree. I've just seen that it's an all plastic rocket. I might just still buy a Tube, some couplers and a nosecone and make my own, but I'm willing to try the Odd'l kit since I buy from eRockets pretty regularly already (I have a shipment of other bits arriving tomorrow from them).... at this point, they probably know me by first name (which is way easier than my last name anyhow!), so next week's order of more stuff shouldn't be a surprise to them.
Little tip, the one place where I deviated from the instructions is I used sanding sealer to smooth out the couplers instead of thin CA, because I loathe working with thin CA. A couple of layers of sanding sealer and some 400 grit sandpaper in between layers smoothed out the couplers just fine.

because I loathe working with thin CA
I've gotten quite good at working with it safely and comfortably and I love it. Two key points:
1) Use BSI SuperGold. No fumes. You can work with your face right above it and it's fine. It's expensive but worth it IMHO.
2) Except where you need to be using a real lot of it (e.g., hardening a balsa nose cone), apply the thin CA to a Q-Tip and then use the Q-tip to apply to... whatever. I have never had any sort of accident or spill when working this way. Yeah I go through a lot of Q-tips but so what.

Obviously nothing wrong with using sanding sealer instead if that's what you prefer.

I did the BreakAway. Great rocket, I did find that the couplers get “droopy” after a few while, it may be best to store it disconnected.
This is likely why the Estes rocket of this type is pretty much all plastic. Chances are they developed it as a carboard rocket and then noticed that it was no longer straight after a few flights and said "screw it, we'll mold the pieces"... which I find interesting because usually they go out of their way to re-use as many parts as possible on other kits, but this one seems to be an exception.

Whenever I hesitate to buy another rocket, I tell myself I should. Because if I don't, having all those unused shelves around the house would be an awful waste of space.
You have unused shelf space? 😱

I've gotten quite good at working with it safely and comfortably and I love it. Two key points:
1) Use BSI SuperGold. No fumes. You can work with your face right above it and it's fine. It's expensive but worth it IMHO.
2) Except where you need to be using a real lot of it (e.g., hardening a balsa nose cone), apply the thin CA to a Q-Tip and then use the Q-tip to apply to... whatever. I have never had any sort of accident or spill when working this way. Yeah I go through a lot of Q-tips but so what.

Obviously nothing wrong with using sanding sealer instead if that's what you prefer.
I splatter thin CA everywhere which is why I use safety glasses when using it. A razor blade helps to remove it from most surfaces.

This is likely why the Estes rocket of this type is pretty much all plastic. Chances are they developed it as a carboard rocket and then noticed that it was no longer straight after a few flights and said "screw it, we'll mold the pieces"... which I find interesting because usually they go out of their way to re-use as many parts as possible on other kits, but this one seems to be an exception.
The Wacky Wiggler is rather stocky. It's a great windy day rocket.

Back