Estes website completely revised!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Intersting. Estes is going back to rubber shock cords.
And all this time I thought what we were looking for were longer shock cords. ;)

That hydrogen rocket kit looks intriguing... Coming in 2004? Not much more of 2004 left!

WW

It is already on sale. Search the online toy retailers:
https://www.etoys.com/genProduct.html?PID=2336159&ctid=17&ls=toys

https://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/601-1716600-8976912?asin=B0000AOVTZ

Much of the content looks like it was copied over onto the newer format. There is some new content and I imagine more new content will be added and old content will be revised.

I could not get the new videos to display using IE. I'll let them know (after I try Netscape).

Originally posted by wwattles
That hydrogen rocket kit looks intriguing... Coming in 2004? Not much more of 2004 left!

WW

I'm wondering about the Max Trax... does anyone know anything about that altimeter?

It's not a barometric altimeter like the ones used in HPR. It's a timer/impact sensor that uses a mathematical formula to multiply the number of second from a small switch being released to impact. Since it needs a hard impact to stop the timer, short grass or playa is best suited for this rocket.

Jason

Thank goodness they re-did the site, the old one was the most horrible user-unfriendly disaster I've ever seen! My mother currenly has the hydrogen rocket set on order ever since my son saw it in the '04 catalog. Should be pretty neat, if indeed they ever actually release the thing...

Glenn

I couldn't aggree with you more Glenn. The previous webpage was a crime against nature. Its good to see the change.

Originally posted by jetra2
It's not a barometric altimeter like the ones used in HPR. It's a timer/impact sensor that uses a mathematical formula to multiply the number of second from a small switch being released to impact. Since it needs a hard impact to stop the timer, short grass or playa is best suited for this rocket.

Jason
So... the altimeter doesn't some down by parachute? It just falls? I mean, if it used a parachute, drift would mess up the timer I would think. Wouldn't it be better to time between launch and ejection? ... instead of hard landing? That just doesn't make sense. Oh well, I really didn't want to buy another starter ste anyway.

And, isn't it possible that the "hydrogen" fueled rocket is just a water rocket?

Perhaps some kudos and positive feedback is in order! It's nice to see a company respond to consumer feedback. Maybe now they'll have a rep visit the forums and communicate directly. Now THAT would be cool!

They lurk.

Some of the distributors lurk.

Some of the reps lurk.

None ever posts.

They appear live and in person at HobbyVisions in FABULOUS Las Vegas Nevada. Trade only today and tomorrow. Open to the public Saturday and Sunday. Make and Take a free rocket.

I'll be there. (Estes, Quest and LOC will be there).

Originally posted by eugenefl
Perhaps some kudos and positive feedback is in order! It's nice to see a company respond to consumer feedback. Maybe now they'll have a rep visit the forums and communicate directly. Now THAT would be cool!

Come on people.

How much easier can they make it to navigate?

Why ask random questions about a product when they have the instructions ONLINE:
https://estes.aptinet.com/images/maxtrax.pdf

Granted, it does not fully explain everything, but it shows the streamer on the capsule. timing from ejection to impact is a great way to determine altitude. Timing from launch does no good since different motors burn for different times.

And it's bilingual. Blame Canada.

Originally posted by Rick James
So... the altimeter doesn't some down by parachute? It just falls? I mean, if it used a parachute, drift would mess up the timer I would think. Wouldn't it be better to time between launch and ejection? ... instead of hard landing? That just doesn't make sense. Oh well, I really didn't want to buy another starter ste anyway.

And, isn't it possible that the "hydrogen" fueled rocket is just a water rocket?

Sorry, Fred... I guess I'm just too old to appreciate how easy the site is to navigate. I agree that this site is an improvement over the old one... but I went back in there and tried to find how you got that manual pdf and came up empty handed again. But I appreciate the link... it makes sense now.

I was actually thinking of getting one to use as a kind of contest for kids... let them build the launch vehicle and see who can get the highest altitude for a given motor class.

Thanks again,
and sorry,
Rick

It's on the main page - instruction manuals.

Once you've left the main page you need to find it in the menus:

Go through the pull down menus or click on the menu and go to the next menu from the main page to products to education center to product instructions.

the education center is even easier than the Estes Educator site. the educator site still has more items in the publications area, but that is probably what you would expect.

Now if they just add links....(to Educator website, to NAR...)

Sorry, Fred... I guess I'm just too old to appreciate how easy the site is to navigate. I agree that this site is an improvement over the old one... but I went back in there and tried to find how you got that manual pdf and came up empty handed again. But I appreciate the link... it makes sense now.

I was actually thinking of getting one to use as a kind of contest for kids... let them build the launch vehicle and see who can get the highest altitude for a given motor class.

Thanks again,
and sorry,
Rick

Originally posted by eugenefl
One of the first things I noticed is that you CAN contact Estes from the site now! They have a contact form under the Customer Service tab:)

Big thumbs up on the site redesign. Still isn't perfect, but a 1000% improvement over the old one.

Now, please, please, turn the volume down on that jet blast sound effect!!!!

So... the altimeter doesn't some down by parachute? It just falls?

The nosecone with the timer falls back to the ground with only a very short streamer. The actual rocket is separate and come back on a parachute.

Pretty neat. I launched mine once. The main rocket landed in a deep ditch with water and I was unable to get it back. I still have the nosecone and someday plan to build another rocket for it.

And back on the subject........ I really like the new website much better!!!!!!!

The instructions clearly indicate the other current models the altimeter capsule may be used with as well as any BT-56 model.

Originally posted by Rocketmaniac
The nosecone with the timer falls back to the ground with only a very short streamer. The actual rocket is separate and come back on a parachute.

Pretty neat. I launched mine once. The main rocket landed in a deep ditch with water and I was unable to get it back. I still have the nosecone and someday plan to build another rocket for it.

And back on the subject........ I really like the new website much better!!!!!!!

Better. Much better.

Now, it would be nice if they would have footage from an actual Oracle flight that could be viewed.

Originally posted by shreadvector
The instructions clearly indicate the other current models the altimeter capsule may be used with as well as any BT-56 model.

It's a pretty good system....just a simple timer and a chip to calculate

altitude = 1/2*32f/s/s*time^2

Release the little button on the nosecone on the ground, wait a few seconds, and hit the top with your palm. Plug the time into the equation, and BAM!

Now all Estes needs is dual deployment :)

I'm glad they finally redid the site, this one seems to load faster, the original one was very slow loading.

I like the looks of all those new kits, especially the Sissorwing, I'd like to get one to go along with my Orbital Transport.

I doubt that any of them will be released this year. Late winter, early spring 2005 is my best guess. Maybe they still have some issues to work out with some of them.

My, how negative.

As I've posted before, the folks at eHobbies know the folks at Estes very well and they talk all the time. eHobbies updates the expected dates whenever a change occurs. Look there for the latest expected dates.

Of course, I will physically see and touch real live Estes folks tomorrow in Las Vegas at the HobbyVisions show. It is open to the public on Saturday and Sunday (with free rockets!). I will absorb info and relay it. Possibly Monday night. Tuesday at the latest. Earlier if anyone has internet access or a safe hotel computer exists.

Originally posted by Donaldsrockets
It's about time!!!:rolleyes:

I had just about given up on the old one, it had to be the absolute worst site on the web.

I like the looks of all those new kits, especially the Sissorwing, I'd like to get one to go along with my Orbital Transport.

I doubt that any of them will be released this year. Late winter, early spring 2005 is my best guess.

Originally posted by shreadvector
My, how negative.

As I've posted before, the folks at eHobbies know the folks at Estes very well and they talk all the time. eHobbies updates the expected dates whenever a change occurs. Look there for the latest expected dates.

Of course, I will physically see and touch real live Estes folks tomorrow in Las Vegas at the HobbyVisions show. It is open to the public on Saturday and Sunday (with free rockets!). I will absorb info and relay it. Possibly Monday night. Tuesday at the latest. Earlier if anyone has internet access or a safe hotel computer exists.

Ok maybe I was being a bit negative there, sorry if I offended anyone.:)

Don't get me wrong, I love Estes kits and their customer service is excellent but I wish wish they could release their new kits when they first say they are going to.:)

Donald , It's probably not all Estes fault when the the kits don't make the deadline, it's usually the suppliers for the decals or the molded parts or the camera guts, cones ...ect it's like that with any big business... or they might get a run of parts in and find a problem with something.... alot of things have to happen on time or the whole plan gets set back. You can bet that Estes wants to get atleast something out by christmas. It's just the nature of the business.

Originally posted by stymye
Donald , It's probably not all Estes fault when the the kits don't make the deadline, it's usually the suppliers for the decals or the molded parts or the camera guts, cones ...ect it's like that with any big business... or they might get a run of parts in and find a problem with something.... alot of things have to happen on time or the whole plan gets set back. You can bet that Estes wants to get atleast something out by christmas. It's just the nature of the business.

Yeah, I'm sure that's what it is. That's probably why the Outlander was a few months late, they probably had to wait on the plastic parts for it.:)

I agree. Hopefully the Sissorwing and a few of the X-Prize kits will be out before Christmas so I can add them to my Christmas list.:D

I think most people are giving Estes much props for making a huge improvement in their website. I think they finally realized that a website should be a tool for potential customers to get their hands on your products, and their old website was almost an obstacle course designed to prevent exactly that.

I think people tend to dog Estes a bit because they're not the Estes we know and remember from 30 years ago. They have definitely oriented themselves to cater more to the casual/ beginning / less experienced rocketeer. That definitely doesn't apply to most of the people here.

Still and all, I think Estes is introducing some interesting new kits and accessories, the Oracle video rocket looks cool, and the X-Prize kits should be fun. I'm sure I'll build a couple of them.

And there's no shortage of companies making a huge variety of fun kits, selling parts, components, etc., so it's not like the build-it-yourself market is going begging. Heck, right now, downstairs in my shop, I've got kits from Quest, Semroc, Squirrel Works, FlisKits, Neubauer, Custom, Saturn Press, Roachwerks, Dr. Zooch all waiting to be built -- along with probably a dozen Estes kits.

I mean, Estes is still Estes. So here's a big thumbs up on their website improvements.

I just hope I don't run out of glue.... :D :p ;)

I bet they would love to have the spaceship one out right now.

Back