Estes Viking - Post yours here

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueTrane2028

Reaction score
As part of my resurgence back into LPR flying, I grabbed a lot of rocket equipment off a guy on Facebook. Mostly for the engines, those alone were worth the money. Along with it came a couple models already built and flyable (Sky Writer, Dragonite and Amazon), an additional Amazon in kit, a Crossfire ISX and... a very botched 3 fin Viking.

The typical "a young child tried building this themselves and failed" story. Body tube crumpled at both ends, fins glued on poorly, colored on with markers. About the only thing remotely correct was the depth of the thrust ring for the motor mount... but i'm going to put in a doubler to be sure (motor is kind of hard to grab fully installed). Doesn't seem like the thing ever flew too, no powder residue inside. My one regret is I failed to take a before pic. I figured, it can't get any worse, if I try to fix it and it goes nowhere, I've lost nothing. I think it turned out great.

First, I removed the recovery system, fins and launch lug. Second, I wrapped the crushed upper and lower portions of the body tube with identical sized pieces of Titebond soaked paper, while using a spent engine as a form. Third, I cleaned up the fins best I could, mounted along with a new lug.

The body wraps gave it a segmented appearance, so I knew the paint scheme would have to involve those segments. First, I painted the whole rocket in an aluminum silver as a sort of primer (and the finish color for middle segment). Second, I painted the upper segment and NC red and then lowest segment white. I admittedly didn't take enough time to prep or even wait before masking up and shooting different colors, but again it was botched so badly to begin with that structurally sound and flyable is an epic win.

I'm waiting for some Kevlar line, once that arrives I'll rig up a recovery harness for it and it will be time to send into orbit on a C6-5 or 7.

I also posted a pic of my 5 fin Viking that I made in tech ed class in high school.

I think my next two builds will also be Vikings. Going to buy both kits at once, make one a 4 fin, probably forward swept, then the second kit will get six. 3 mounted as I have them on the two I already have built, 3 using the longest side as the fin root. I think that will be interesting to look at. That would give me 3,4,5 and 6 fin ones built.

Have a Viking you're proud of? Show it off here!

Attachments

• Viking3.jpeg
    Viking3.jpeg
    74 KB · Views: 31
  • Viking5.jpeg
    Viking5.jpeg
    74.3 KB · Views: 30
I've got a 5 fin variant w/ up swept fins, that is in paint now, traditional card colors. Will post a pic tonight.

I no longer have it, but a Centuri Viking was my first rocket I built at a Cub Scout day camp when I was a kid. I glued the longest side at the root because I thought more glue would be the strongest joint, but then the fins also don’t hit the ground on landing either and are less likely to pop off. One of my fins was crooked and I was really upset that it was not perfect. But when it launched it had a really cool corkscrew kind of spin to it and everyone thought it was neat. Yeah, I was hooked.

Screen Shot 2020-05-30 at 4.06.37 PM.png
my son built one for a sci-fair project, before painting.

I flew my rebuilt Viking today. Kind of windy and small ish field, so A8-3 was the engine of the day. First flight, absolutely gorgeous. I have it coming back to Earth on a homemade 6" parachute with a spill hole in it. Came down nice and straight but a little slower than a streamer. Win.

Second flight... the parachute got hung up coming out. went lawn dart sorta, the nose cone wasn't attached. The reinforced body tube took the fall like a champ, but two fins popped off.

I already glued it back together, will repaint the lowest segment tomorrow at some point, back in action soon.

I think the ejection issue was due to the parachute hanging up on the rubber shock cord. I'll be switching about everything I fly over to Kevlar cords once the shipment I ordered a week ago already actually shows up...

I added a Hi-flyer type engine hook, which threw off the decal placement, due to lack of planning. So had to do something different with the back side decals.

Attachments

• IMG_20200613_095318.jpg
    IMG_20200613_095318.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20200612_234002.jpg
    IMG_20200612_234002.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20200613_093741.jpg
    IMG_20200613_093741.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 19
Back