Estes Viking 48 possible fin configurations

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlaineC

Reaction score
This was an old thread on TRF 1.0 and I think we where reaching close to the 48. so lets see all your vikings and their different fin patterns. The plans show 6 differnet patterns and the card shows one more lets see if we can get the 48 different patterns.

so to start us off heres mine.

VIKING.jpg

VIKING ADVANCED.jpg

A bit of history - the Viking was a Centuri design. Before the Viking, though, was the Vector V. It used the same fiber fins and the same nose cone. Here is the Vector V from the catalog as well as my instructions for kitbashing the Viking into an Estes version of the Vector V.

Enjoy!

72cen014.jpg

View attachment vectorVE.pdf

The first version I recall from Centuri that was similar to the Viking was the cub scout Akela 1 kit. It used the thicker ST-7 tube and the heavier two-part injection molded Centuri cone for the ST-7. The heavier cone made it much more stable than the new lightweight cone Estes Viking. The reason I mention this is that a Viking is perfectly stable with the heaviest motor (a C6-7) IF you are using the fins in the orientation that extends out into the airstream. If you glue them in the 'close to the body tube' orientation - especially if you only use 3 fins - they are often unstable off the rod, but after the propellant burns up they become stable and zoom directly in whatever direction they are pointed when they stabilize.

If kids show up with 3 fins close to the tube, we only allow them to fly on A motors (or mini motors in an adapter) to keep the c.g. foreward OR we hand them 3 more fins to glue on in between the other 3 fins to make the rocket stable with the heavier B6 and C6 motors.

And if anyone show up with one or more fins glued at the top of the rocket, we have them cut them off. And we hand them a copy of the attached sheets.

https://home.earthlink.net/~mebowitz/safety.pdf

View attachment cmrdm04.pdf

View attachment cmrdm05.pdf

Back